Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Searching the positives from Sim Update 3

I have been quite negative about Sim Update 3 as have many others. In all honesty I am not sure I have seen a single positive comment from those that use the sim as a sim. I really want to know though, was anything good coming from this update? The contrails are poorly implemented. The FSX aircraft liveries are meh at best and don't seem to play nice with community add on's like A32NX. The Garmin's are not fixed - far from it. Then there is the shrinking LOD and the random stutters. So seriously, who here thinks that there is even one thing that was positive about Sim Update 3. I'd love to hear some positives as it may help me muster some enthusiasm to go and fly. I deleted my P3D, so MSFS is all I have.

I have submitted 3 "bug" reports today. I don't know how seriously Asobo/MS take these things but I am hopefully doing my part for the community. And me.

LOD - just horrible

Contrails - just horrible in a strong cross wind as they appear to be aligned with aircraft track not heading

Random Chunky Stutters - an unwanted gift with Sim Update 3

I could submit so many more but I will leave some space on their servers for everyone else's complaints. My previous complaint about the broken logbook has been outright ignored since launch. I believe even FS 2002 got the log book right on launch day. Oh well.... 😐

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Not much that is obvious now, and some of these lingering bugs are really staring to get annoying (waypoint runaround, broken navlog when starting from ramp/gate).   Here's to hoping there are significant improvements being made under the hood that will be more apparent later. 

I have found I have time to make a cup of tea while the stutter-fest (pause-fest really) is going on! :biggrin:

Oh, and because they have reduced the tree LOD, my computer now runs the sim faster, and my frames per second are through the roof!  - oh, no, wait....

• Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On the positive side I find very useful the new feature for configuring your aircraft directly on the World Map screen with your tail number and to set different COG, degree of authority for the control surfaces and the wear and tear of your plane. On the negative, as mentioned in the OP, the occasional stutters and the shrinking LOD are the worst aspects of Sim Update 3.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The manual cache CTDs seem to be mostly gone for many people, and the glowing outlines in cloudy conditions are eradicated. The Track Up orientation on the G1000 is pretty much all I wanted so that's a nice addition too. Also I guess it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm loving the legacy liveries.

Of course that does not mean I am not annoyed anymore with many of the lingering post-launch issues, especially the mesh LOD problems, but I personally feel this patch is an overall improvement compared to the previous one, which for me is a first since the 1.9.5.0 patch. I am not affected by the tree draw distance limitation because I don't use the mod (before anyone asks why, I fly at low-medium settings) although I agree that it is a very unfortunate situation that must be amended. The performance issues were gone after flying for a few minutes or tweaking the V-Sync settings (not sure which of the two triggered this).

1 hour ago, RaptyrOne said:

I could submit so many more but I will leave some space on their servers for everyone else's complaints

From what I've gathered, they rely a lot on the amount of times a specific issue has been reported when deciding how to prioritise it, so do not neglect doing so, even if it's something that has been mass-reported already.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, riverreveal said:

Sim update 3 made me appreciate how happy I was with the Sim prior to installing Sim update 3.

Exactly...wish I could roll back the update.

I didn't get the Garmin improvements I was hoping for (but at least the WT announcement shows they are on it); and got LOD and stutters that I didn't want. Hopefully Asobo can sort these issues out...

At some point I would love to see @Asobo take a moment to fix the development progress, and work on getting all the implemented features correct.  They can then continue to improve the sim with a solid foundation.

I'd also look fantastic in a Ferrari.

Both have approximately the same likelihood of realization I suppose.  In the end the revenue stream runs course changes.  Still with WT joining the team, perhaps they will bring some positive changes in this direction.

🙂

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

IMO.  Improvements to the G58, FSX liveries better than nothing, and cog options.

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

As I fly low and slow the Contrails and tree LOD are not huge issues for me.  Admittedly the contrails look pretty bad and you can only see them on your own aircraft and they do not come off the wingtip the way they should but I never fly that high to ever see them.

Also not getting stutter unless I wind LOD up above 100 though I do note that Process lasso now shows the sim trashing more than one of my CPU cores.

I can see how other people can be getting frustrated though.

In terms of positives:

• The old liveries are good, bit ugly but something of a nostalgia trip.
  • the CG/wear/parasitic options look interesting
  • the wind settings in custom weather are better
  • lots of minor annoyances were fixed such as the bright outline around objects
  • world map is better

• Like 2

After reaching out to AS about the problems and what that mean to the CRJ, getting told to go away as no one here has a problem and getting down votes within mins.

Mr K can stuff his CRJ up is......Just saved £45.

So saving £45 is a positive.

• Like 8

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The Flight Director now works for lateral navigation with the Autopilot turned off.  This has been an issue since the sim was released, and is a major fix in Update 3.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

At some point I would love to see @Asobo take a moment to fix the development progress, and work on getting all the implemented features correct.  They can then continue to improve the sim with a solid foundation.

This...thats whats broken...Its one thing to have one bad release - but to have them continually points to bigger issues.   On the positive side for me I like the contrails - not perfect but I think they are a immersion improvement for me. Not really much else in this update I can point to sadly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1