Sign in to follow this  
craigeaglefire

MFS Sim Update 3 stutter fix - Virtual memory settings...

this works on my setup,

9700K 32GB 2080Ti

Sim Update 3 gave me terrible stutters,

i noticed on HWiNFO that was using 97% of physical RAM,

FIX: reset the W10 Virtual memory from Auto (allocating 10GB Virtual memory) to Manual:-

(using C 512GB M.2 drive with 120+GB of spare space - BE CAREFUL!!!)

* minimum 20GB (20000)

* maximum 64GB (64000)

RESULT: stuttering & throttling of page file swaps eliminated > smoooth flights in hyper dense areas...

YMMV

jOH7HFp.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

this works on my setup,

9700K 32GB 2080Ti

Sim Update 3 gave me terrible stutters,

i noticed on HWiNFO that was using 97% of physical RAM,

FIX: reset the W10 Virtual memory from Auto (allocating 10GB Virtual memory) to Manual:-

(using C 512GB M.2 drive with 120+GB of spare space - BE CAREFUL!!!)

* minimum 20GB (20000)

* maximum 64GB (64000)

RESULT: stuttering & throttling of page file swaps eliminated > smoooth flights in hyper dense areas...

YMMV

jOH7HFp.png

Interesting, will try this.

Hi

i tried it. Actually I only had 32000 for all drives set manually on Drive C:. My MSFS is installed on E:.

I set the same VM as you did on E (I have 32Gb RAM and 2Tb MVMe).

so far not a single stutter that I’ve noticed. This is in the PA28 JF Arrow III in Oz. This had severe stutters yesterday followed by CTD.

fingers and legs crossed....

thanks

ray

• Like 1

I haven't even checked my virtual memory settings yet.  Still managed by W10 as I recall.  With 32 GB of physical RAM, I wasn't expecting any issues in this area.  I have lots of space on a new M.2 1TB drive, so certainly can't do any harm to try.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I thought most stutters are caused by the main thread utilization being higher than usual? Or maybe there is a correlation with both?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I had a look at setting virtual ram (paging file) and the advice I found was to set the initial size to 1.5 x your ram amount and the total size to three x ram amount.

So for 32GB of RAM that would be 49152MB for initial and 98304MB for total. (Based on 1024MB per GB)

That is how I've set mine and I will report back if it helps.

It was a complete stutterfest at SAEZ in the WT CJ4 last night. Even after rebooting the sim. Bad stutters and 15 to 20 FPS.

I know that Asobo will fix this but if it works, it is a good temp solution.

Stu

Edited by Bunchy

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Someone on the official MSFS forum said they thought it was due to memory leaks.
I will try this.  Might not be good for my SSD though! :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Hi , 

Can someone point @ where we change these settings on Win10 ?

A bit more detail should be fine about how we do these changes? :)

Thanks for share of solution.

Kind regard. 

Faruk IŞIK

Open windows explorer.

Right click on PC folder and select properties

This brings up the system window

Click on advanced settings, choose performance tab.

Click on advanced settings and select virtual memory 'change' button. From there you can deselect managed by system and input initial and total memory values.

You have to restart your PC for it to take effect

Hope this helps

Stu

Edited by Bunchy
  • Like 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I tried this prior to the update that has caused the fps issues, it has made no difference at all. I was advised to do this with the prior CTD issues.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Unfortunately, the virtual memory tweak does not do anything for me ☹️

Still a stutterfest at SAEZ.

Oh well......Bring on the hotfix, Asobo

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tayyareci said:

Can someone point @ where we change these settings on Win10 ?

Stephan from Germany

My System

this should help - my exact settings...

plenty of resource headroom now in London, New York, LA, Miami, Chicago with CJ4 having a blast in VR...

HoZTi3C.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bunchy said:

Yeah I thought so, I don't think it has anything to do with the memory. They really messed up something on the CPU side, if you look at the FPS windows in MSFS, you will the main thread utilization latency being higher than usual and then when you fly over photogrammetry or new areas that needs new Orthos, the main thread utilization latency goes higher and higher and thus the stutters increase.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

22 minutes ago, Bunchy said:

In dev mode do you get "manipulators" spiking multiple times a second.

I am not getting the big stutters people have talked about but certain areas I get non stop spiking of "manipulators" combined with an FPS drop and micro stutters.   Fly a bit further and suddenly the  spiking of "manipulators"  stops and so does the stutter.

There is nothing obviously different about the places this happens but it is reproducible. I am wondering of it is a mesh issue ?

• Like 1