Sign in to follow this  
TallTanBarbie

Just Got A Honeycomb Alpha Yoke. It's unusable.

One of the bad things about our modern global economy is that you can't try things out prior to ordering from them.  Back in the old old days, Sears had catalog stores so you could actually see and touch some of the things they sold in their catalogs.  Bit difficult to do that nowadays.  

The Alpha yoke is well made but not well thought out — and it was supposedly designed by people who claim to be pilots.

The roll response is excellent, but the yoke is basically unmovable in pitch.  The. pitch axis resistance is too strong for the yoke to be usable.  At least mine didn't have the dead zone problem that's mentioned in the reviews.  I wish they had mentioned the pitch axis resistance was too heavy though.

I've heard about WW2 era aircraft like the B-24 Liberator and the PBY Catalina that had heavy controls that required a lot of physical effort to fly them, but I've never flown or heard of any general aviation aircraft that had that much resistance in straight and level flight.  I have to use both hands to pull on it in and I just wind up using the trim wheel.  Not fun at all.

I've had several Saitek Cessna yokes over the years and they have all had the bad offset roll signal problem,  but at least they had realistic control axis resistance.  I guess the only thing that I can do now is rebuild one of them but I'm stuck with the Alpha Yoke for now

50 minutes ago, TallTanBarbie said:

I guess the only thing that I can do now is rebuild one of them but I'm stuck with the Alpha Yoke for now

Just replace the rubber "ropes" used in Alpha for the weaker ones. There is a huge variety of them available online but also in the household/ DIY shops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SergeyPe said:

Just replace the rubber "ropes" used in Alpha for the weaker ones. There is a huge variety of them available online but also in the household/ DIY shops.

Thanks 🙂

3 hours ago, SergeyPe said:

That will increase your elevator dead zone, perhaps beyond the point where it will be acceptable. Honeyomb states that the tension is chosen to allow a return to centre within 3mm for the bearings they have used.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

It is virtually impossible to approximate the across-the-board feel of everything from a home-built experimental, to an aging Cessna 152, to a DA42, to a Bonanza or Baron, to a King Air, to a TBM, to a regional jet, to a 737, to a 747 ◄----▲----► with the resistance employed with one yoke design.  "Give me a piece of that Kit Kat bar......"
                                                       --▼--

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The average pull on each of the units I've seen/worked on is approximately 5lbs.  If yours in more than that, there is likely a problem with the unit.  

If yours is about 5lbs, this is rather excellent at approximating the about of pull for a wide range of different aircraft under varying conditions.

The Alpha was designed by Precision Flight Controls, very respected outfit.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

It is virtually impossible to approximate the across-the-board feel of everything from a home-built experimental, to an aging Cessna 152, to a DA42, to a Bonanza or Baron, to a King Air, to a TBM, to a regional jet, to a 737, to a 747 ◄----▲----► with the resistance employed with one yoke design.  "Give me a piece of that Kit Kat bar......"
                                                       --▼--

True.  As you know, it varies with airspeed. Without feedback, you aren't going to be able to pull the yoke back and have it slide back due to the weight of the elevators, have mushy controls at low airspeed, or feel the ailerons twist it in the wind.  I learned how to fly in a 150 and 172 many moons ago and I've flown several different types of GA aircraft.  Controls this stiff in pitch is are not usable.  I should not have to pull it hard with both hands just to pull the yoke all the way back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The average pull on each of the units I've seen/worked on is approximately 5lbs.  If yours in more than that, there is likely a problem with the unit.  

If yours is about 5lbs, this is rather excellent at approximating the about of pull for a wide range of different aircraft under varying conditions.

The Alpha was designed by Precision Flight Controls, very respected outfit.

Best wishes.

It feels way more than five lbs.  It's really stiff.   As you know, it varies with airspeed. Without feedback, you aren't going to be able to pull the yoke back and have it slide back due to the weight of the elevators, have mushy controls at low airspeed, or feel the ailerons twist it in the wind.  I learned how to fly in a 150 and 172 many moons ago and I've flown several different types of GA aircraft.  Controls this stiff in pitch is are not usable.  I should not have to pull it hard with both hands just to pull the yoke all the way back.

2 minutes ago, TallTanBarbie said:

It feels way more than five lbs.  It's really stiff.   As you know, it varies with airspeed. Without feedback, you aren't going to be able to pull the yoke back and have it slide back due to the weight of the elevators, have mushy controls at low airspeed, or feel the ailerons twist it in the wind.  I learned how to fly in a 150 and 172 many moons ago and I've flown several different types of GA aircraft.  Controls this stiff in pitch is are not usable.  I should not have to pull it hard with both hands just to pull the yoke all the way back.

If it's more than 5 lbs pull, I would contact Honeycomb Support, or return it to the store you purchased it from.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 minute ago, DaveCT2003 said:

If it's more than 5 lbs pull, I would contact Honeycomb Support, or return it to the store you purchased it from.

Thanks.  I'm an Aerosoft customer but I ordered it last weekend from Newegg.

16 hours ago, MarkDH said:

That will increase your elevator dead zone

(Slop zone, not dead zone 😉 )

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

"Unusable" simply means you don't like it.  I've got 500 hrs GA IRL, and I love the pitch setting of the Alpha out of the box.  I swear I can feel the pressure coming off with trim applied, as IRL.  I appreciate that is merely my sense impression, but I find it a good simulation with most AC.

6 hours ago, James Callan said:

I swear I can feel the pressure coming off with trim applied, as IRL.

Yes, without always using trim to take the pressure of the pitch axis it would seem that something is wrong with the Alpha yoke, but even in small GA like a C172 with cable connected flight controls there is considerable back pressure on the yoke. My instructor spent most his time early on telling me trim, trim, us your trim...with trim in a climb or after takeoff you should feel no back pressure at all if correctly trimmed out, same in cruise and decent. 

If the OP received an Alpha yoke that just isn't working right I hope he gets it fixed because it really is a nice little yoke.

Edited by MartinRex007

On 3/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, SergeyPe said:

Opening the case may invalidate the warranty.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather