Sign in to follow this  
chrisb1357

MSFS 2020 System Spec Build Help

Hi all,

Not been around here for some years and have not built my own system for years either but looking for some help and advice to spec out a system build for myself to run MSFS 2020 simulator.

Not sure on budget yet maybe something around £1,000 ish give or take

As i have not built my own system for so long i am way behind on tech and the current standards out there so any advice would be appreciated suggested build spec

Chris

1 hour ago, chrisb1357 said:

any advice would be appreciated suggested build spec

Chris

Please, save the money right now.

This MSFS is not something to invest in, wait for DX12 implementation, they need to fix how the airplanes react to winds, they need to optimize the aerodynamics for each airplane, visuals are also affected by DX12, every update brakes something else, a total mess. They have issues with the servers, sometimes outside visuals are OK and sometimes are bad even you can have high-speed internet connections, etc.

My specs are I9 10900K at 5.3 GHZ, 64 mem at 3800, rtx 3090, my internet is 1,000 Mbps, all the other sims P3D, XP11, DCS run perfectly, no overheating etc.

Of course, it is your choice, but keep in mind, I had a 9900K CPU at 5.2 GHX, 64 mem at 3800, Titan video card and P3D, XP11, DCS  will run flawlessly. but I sought that the new PC will solve the issues with MSFS, I WAS SO WRONG!

MSFS is a good idea but software wise I can't say anything for fear of having my post removed

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

As things stand, you are unlikely to be able to buy a graphics card at all, unless it is part of a ready built PC. Unless you are prepared to use a second hand Graphics card, you may well be struggling to resource the parts that you need.

As to MSFS itself, in terms of appearance, it has no peers and it seems to perform very well, even on modest systems.

Fortunately, it does not yet use Direct X 12 and therefore those of us who do not have the financial resources to support the purchase of a system that has more than 8 GB of VRAM are isolated from the P3D v5 induced crash when that limit is reached.

If I had an "I9 10900K at 5.3 GHZ, 64 mem at 3800, rtx 3090, my internet is 1,000 Mbps" system and it would not run MSFS, I would be investigating why, not suggesting that the software was faulty.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

You do not need a supercomputer or a fibre connection to run MSFS well

I have just put together a back-up rig with an i7-7700K + GTX 970 + 16GB RAM - and that drives a 24" 1080p monitor over a decidedly dodgy internet connection. 

Great graphics, stable 30 fps frame rate - works well.

• Like 1

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

Hi, @Reader,

I think that you got it wrong, if you pay close attention, I didn't say that "it would not run MSFS".

And again, I mentioned that other simulator software like P3D, XP11, DCS will run very well and don't need any computer "investigating".

Yes, MSFS has many issues, and if you would "investigate" you would find the software faults, which are all over the internet.

It was released prematurely and is got lots of bugs (faults).

Of course, you don't need a supercomputer, but with low specs computer, you need to dial down most of the settings and it will never ever look nice (unfortunately) as they showed in the showcase, all that I shared with @chrisb1357 is my experience with that system.

Even with those specs that I have many other users with similar systems still experience problems as being limited by GPU or CPU because of bad software design, it's all over the internet.

All that I was expecting from MSFS computer guidelines and showcase they published to see a different result, unfortunately, that's not the case, also confirmed by many users.

If some people settle for less and is acceptable some will reject the notion of "works well".

All that I was suggesting is just to wait a few months to see what is coming with DX12 and see what kind of improvements they come up with.

Chris, please look on the web about MSFS problems before you spend the money.

The question was 

looking for some help and advice to spec out a system build for myself to run MSFS 2020 simulator.

It was not "please give me your opinion of MSFS, ideally in as negative a way as possible". My advice is that building a system may well be hampered by the lack of available graphics cards and that a prebuilt system may be the best way forwards. What is yours, apart from don't buy MSFS?

Edited by Reader

55 minutes ago, Reader said:

The question was 

It was not "please give me your opinion of MSFS, ideally in as negative a way as possible". My advice is that building a system may well be hampered by the lack of available graphics cards and that a prebuilt system may be the best way forwards. What is yours, apart from don't buy MSFS?

I hope that you are not looking for a fight, it will not happen.

Please don't twist the words, you cannot give an opinion/advice if you don't bring info about a product.

Again, I said not to invest money and build a computer based on software like MSFS full of bugs.

Whether buying MSFS or not is not part of the discussion, and please don't put words on my behalf,  please read again.

3 hours ago, killthespam said:
This MSFS is not something to invest in

This must mean something else then.

I am neither interested in a fight, nor in you, but giving the advice requested, based on your evident expertise might help the author of the topic.

Edited by Reader

9 hours ago, chrisb1357 said:

Hi all,

Not been around here for some years and have not built my own system for years either but looking for some help and advice to spec out a system build for myself to run MSFS 2020 simulator.

Not sure on budget yet maybe something around £1,000 ish give or take

As i have not built my own system for so long i am way behind on tech and the current standards out there so any advice would be appreciated suggested build spec

Chris

Now is not a good time to be buying a PC, with all the component shortages.

However, this is about as good as you'll get if you can up your budget slightly   https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/ryzen/ccl-ryzen-gt-gaming-pc/

• Like 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

9 hours ago, Reader said:

If I had an "I9 10900K at 5.3 GHZ, 64 mem at 3800, rtx 3090, my internet is 1,000 Mbps" system and it would not run MSFS, I would be investigating why, not suggesting that the software was faulty.

+1²  (what he said)!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

15 hours ago, fppilot said:

+1²  (what he said)!

This is the problem with certain people here.

I did not say what @Reader is insinuating that "it would not run MSFS", or that I said not to buy MSFS so for that reason, there is no need to investigate anything at this point (especially when other competitor software runs without issues) if really is something to be investigated and learned from the internet and other users is that there are many posts reinforcing that the software is not properly optimized and even with high-end components you will see that is limited by GPU and CPU.
So, this overprotecting something that is known as having so many software bugs is quite amazing and unproductive.

So @fppilot please read my post, I have no problem being wrong but I take issue with situations like this.

All the best.
Edited by killthespam

1 hour ago, killthespam said:

I did not say what @Reader is insinuating that "it would not run MSFS", or that I said not to buy MSFS so for that reason

You could possibly said something to the effect of "its not a good time to invest in a new system just to run MSFS..."  if that is what you were driving at.  After building a new system last August for just that very reason - I would have agreed with you.  However your first paragraph does not read that way at all.

I am not happy with MSFS either and am logging 70% of my hours in FSX SE.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere