Sign in to follow this  
Pauldoe

When will we get some more military aircraft for MSFS?

Slightly off topic, but kind of related. I think I saw something on Twitter earlier today that MAIW are making progress bringing their military traffic to MSFS. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

9 hours ago, xender said:

I never understood the point of having military aircrafts in a civilian simulator.

There is no need for weapons. You can simulate reconnaissance missions. Doing low level flights passing multiple target points exactly at the required time (accuracy +- 1 second).

• Like 1

I think it makes complete sense that people would like to fly military jets in a civilian sim - if you cant see the interest in it, I think it's a potential lack of imagination. I've spent many hours just flying the Viggen, F-14, Mig-21 and F/A-18 in DCS.

Many of them have wonderful, nuanced flight characteristics in their own right. For example the F-14 is a genuine joy to fly without weapons.

If you're historically interested in these aircraft I can't think of many more exciting uses for MSFS. What's it like to fly an Mi8 over Chernobyl? What's it like to fly a 6 hour recon over Iraq in an F-15? What's it like to cross the Atlantic in an A-10a without autopilot at night with multiple air to air refueling trips (miserable as hell according to any books I've read that describe it).

Remapping the experience of getting a Mirage to Red Flag with hops across the Atlantic, launching Mig23s across Russia towards the Baltic states..

Whatever their design purpose, they're all aircraft (which many of us share a passion for), and the ability to bring them into the environment in which they operated with MSFSs level of fidelity is very exciting for some of us.

For example recently I took up the spitfire and recreated the flights from the book First Light. It's very difficult to do that in other simulators. The difference here is that MSFS really let's you see what the real pilots saw (albeit a modern representation).

In reality, most military aviation involves nothing but pure flying and observation. MSFSs high fidelity world let's us take that to the next level.

Edited by Bigbluss
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, xender said:

I never understood the point of having military aircrafts in a civilian simulator. A trainer? Ok. But a fighter? You can't have a dog fight, you can't deploy weapons, you cant bomb a camp in syria or whatever. 🤔 Im not criticizing or anything, just wondering. Lets say that someone does an amazing F22. what are you going to do with it? Fly from Miami to Atlanta? i dont get it.

In a nutshell, military aircraft specially some WW2 warbirds and jet fighters of the Cold War (F104, Mirage etc.).have a power ratio and inherent instability by design which make them tricky and dangerous to fly specially at take off, final approach and landing. Sloppiness is not really an option when you fly them. No second chance. You ride a tiger that can bite you. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I see now. I completely forgot about those kind of missions, like refueling, recognition, the historic aspect etc. It truly makes sense.

Juan Ramos

59 minutes ago, xender said:

I see now. I completely forgot about those kind of missions, like refueling, recognition, the historic aspect etc. It truly makes sense.

I didn't mean to say you had a lack of imagination by the way, I meant more generally :) It took me reading about these aircraft to think of these scenarios, I was previously on exactly the same page as you!

13 hours ago, xender said:

never understood the point of having military aircrafts in a civilian simulator.

plus, you might just like the aircraft for itself and enjoy seeing it in whatever bit of the sky you fancy. And of course it's probably the only way you'll ever get to see some of them, combat sims included. I don't much fancy my chances of seeing a B-36 at EGTE any time soon for real, but I can do it in the time in takes to load the sim down here in my own little bolt-hole.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

14 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Instant buy when it comes out!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

3 hours ago, odourboy said:

Instant buy when it comes out!

A bird taking off at 180 k and touching the ground back at 150 k cannot be dull, hey 😄 ?

But there is the issue of the supersonic speed that MFS cannot apparently support at that time.

And more important, how will they model the high alpha catastrophy. A FS9 F104 (Captain Sim or Cloud9, I don't remember) had it scripted. I hope that, after all these years, the MFS architecture can do  better. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

18 hours ago, xender said:

I never understood the point of having military aircrafts in a civilian simulator. A trainer? Ok. But a fighter? You can't have a dog fight, you can't deploy weapons, you cant bomb a camp in syria or whatever. 🤔 Im not criticizing or anything, just wondering. Lets say that someone does an amazing F22. what are you going to do with it? Fly from Miami to Atlanta? i dont get it.

We can do all of that in FSX...thanks to addons.

Only a matter of time with the new sim

So....

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Without a way to implement a collimated HUD a lot of military aircraft make no sense to me to put in the sim.....  

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

22 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

Without a way to implement a collimated HUD a lot of military aircraft make no sense to me to put in the sim.....  

You could say exactly the same about the HUD's in commercial aircaft... (CRJ anyone???)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

30 minutes ago, Milviz said:

You could say exactly the same about the HUD's in commercial aircaft... (CRJ anyone???)

I agree.  I'm enjoying the MB-339 and the JF Arrow but it's difficult to justify spending a bunch of $$$ on something where one of the primary flight displays is wrong.  

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

well... here's the thing.... though I can't (and won't) speak for other devs, the intention with the T-45C (in conjunction with us) will have the HUD put in play as soon as there's a way to do one.... And the same goes for any aircraft that we release that has that or a reticle)....

Asobo is aware of this issue... not sure what they're doing about it though...

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

@Milviz I don't want to stir the pot nor derail the topic, but are you sure they can't display the HUD if not in a "correct way", or at least in a "convincing way" like in other simulator, so that when you're moving your head and especially in VR, it feels "correct"?

I remember in a few Q&A they were saying if this is good for the CRJ, it is good for all other 3rd party vendors?! I'd tend to believe then if they couldn't implement the HUD, this must have been because of the FS2020 rendering engine only, not the SDK itself, because I can't imagine they didn't ask Asobo implementing what was needed for the CRJ:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/more-candid-insight-from-aerosofts-project-manager-on-msfs-the-crj-the-sdk-and-the-add-on-market/327843/1?u=cptlucky8

As Asobo had zero experience with running the far more complex code in their simulator, it was rather easy to set up a system where Hans would show them what was needed and Asobo basically would try to get the code running. Of course knowledge flows both ways. We learned a lot about the sim, how to use it efficiently. Of course the comment will be that the SDK and the sim will be made to get the CRJ running. And yes, to some degree that is true. Hans and Asobo worked together every day, often until very late in the evening.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/a-video-is-worth-10-000-words-developers-videos/335524/70?u=cptlucky8

Of course there will be problems as variables from the new sim do not give the same value as on P3D, but you ask Asobo for help and you will get is as long as you are in the correct cycle. You might need to wait for the next update of the sim to get it running on the sim customers have though [...]

As I keep saying, what you hear about more complex systems in the new sim has as much to do with commercial interests as it has to do with what is actually possible

Anyhow I hope you'll be able to find a way for the HUD in your aircraft 😕

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)