Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

Double Performance With A GeForce RTX 30 Series Upgrade

14 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

All this talk of stuttering in latest sim update too. I do have it, but very rarely. I’m running a 3090 and I notice it uses way over 10GB VRAM in 2D and even more than 15GB in VR. Maybe there is a memory issue? 

I am also having good performance and rare stuttering with my 3090 (not more than before the last update at least). 

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, mazelda said:

Sorry, slightly off topic but Noel what software do you use to get your fps overlay ?

I've seen that overlay on several games and programs but always forget to ask what program is used.

Thanks 

That is from a Riva Tuner Statistics Server with the OSD set on for optional parameters. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

My question to the RTX 30 Series card owners is simple... Where did you buy them and How much did you pay ??? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

16 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Running a straight 1080 at 4k is a dumb idea lol....  maybe in other games but it wouldnt work well in MSFS.  I really hate when they say things like "doubles performance!!!"  

My 1080 Ti is doing pretty ok for me at 4k Ultra. FBW mod I usually fly around in the mid 20's. With a lot of clouds at big metropolitan airports I'm in the teens of course but to be honest, I've been here before back when FSX first dropped.

Just not sure if I should update GPU or CPU once hardware becomes available - assuming crypto-mining and hoarders don't hog them all.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

2 hours ago, WestAir said:

My 1080 Ti is doing pretty ok for me at 4k Ultra. FBW mod I usually fly around in the mid 20's. With a lot of clouds at big metropolitan airports I'm in the teens of course but to be honest, I've been here before back when FSX first dropped.

Just not sure if I should update GPU or CPU once hardware becomes available - assuming crypto-mining and hoarders don't hog them all.

Wow - teens though?  I'm in the teens at 1080P.  You must have a much stronger CPU than me... ive got a 4790K.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

20 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Wow - teens though?  I'm in the teens at 1080P.  You must have a much stronger CPU than me... ive got a 4790K.

Nah I've got an i7-8700K which is 11% better in performance, says UserBenchmark. We almost have an identical system though, so now's a great time for me to ask: You think it's better if we update CPU or GPU? I wanna be in the 30's FPS wise.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

5 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Nah I've got an i7-8700K which is 11% better in performance, says UserBenchmark. We almost have an identical system though, so now's a great time for me to ask: You think it's better if we update CPU or GPU? I wanna be in the 30's FPS wise.

UserBenchmark is not a reliable website. MSFS uses 6 threads (and others occasionally) so your 8700K is much faster than a 4790K. The higher frequency and DDR4 RAM make the gap even higher, there is no comparison.

To answer your question: at what resolution? GPU prices are crazy right now, honestly I would not touch your system which is still good, unless you want to spend 1500 - 2000 $ for 10 fps...

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

15 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I wanna be in the 30's FPS wise.

Crazy to think that we all want 30fps area. In thIs day and age we should be at a point of 60fps by now..... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

UserBenchmark is not a reliable website. MSFS uses 6 threads (and others occasionally) so your 8700K is much faster than a 4790K. The higher frequency and DDR4 RAM make the gap even higher, there is no comparison.

To answer your question: at what resolution? GPU prices are crazy right now, honestly I would not touch your system which is still good, unless you want to spend 1500 - 2000 $ for 10 fps...

Good to know about UserBenchmark!

As for your question, I think I run 3840 x 2160 right now. I could always drop it to get 30+fps but it just looks so good. Didn't know a new GPU was in the $1,500 range. That's insanity.

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Crazy to think that we all want 30fps area. In thIs day and age we should be at a point of 60fps by now..... 

I know! I was hoping with a new engine came new 90+ FPS speeds haha.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vcarlo said:

That is from a Riva Tuner Statistics Server with the OSD set on for optional parameters. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

My question to the RTX 30 Series card owners is simple... Where did you buy them and How much did you pay ??? 

Stockx $1900..this is Nvidia version.  Bought in Jan.

Figured to originally pay this much straight from Nvidia.  Was surprised it was $1500...didn't see stock coming any time soon.  Felt worth extra $400 to get at time.  

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

30fps at ultra settings and 4k is very smooth.  I would be very happy to have consistent stutter free 30fps.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

No kidding!  The stutter fest and low fps from the latest "patch" is making things a lot worse.  Flew into to LAS this morning - what a sh"tshow.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, vcarlo said:

LDLC, online shop that is the official nVidia distributor for France for FE cards, so it was the nVidia-announced price (1500€ and change VAT included) for a RTX3090FE. I hesitated a lot before buying back in Nov. or December ...

Now ? The last 3 months flying at 50-60 fps in Ultra (well, not in the stuttering FPS hellpits introduced in SU3 of course), no RTX3080Ti in sight, prices increases announced left and right ... Never thought I'd come to say that (I have a tradition of buying remorse), but if I could go back in time, I would pat myself on the back; 100% would do it again.

• Like 1

I would love to try a 30 series card but I don't have a printer available at this time.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

6 hours ago, vcarlo said:

Amazon, about 1,930 $ at the beginning of January. It was one of the last 3 left in stock, after a week the price skyrocketed to 2,700 $ for the last two pieces and then the card disappeared totally... now if you want an RTX 3090 you have to pay 2,500 $ - 3,000 $ on ebay, and 2,000 $ has become the 3080 territory.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 1

I got my 3090 ftw3  in a xmas sale for £1400 

It was actually on sale!!!!!

Pete Little