Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Problems with updated JF Arrow

Just downloaded the Arrow.  I was anxious for the purchase because I have lots of time in the real aircraft.  Between the issues with the sim itself and the buggy airplane I tried to fly, I am pretty disappointed.  First of all it is a representation of a real beat up airplane.  I really don't have a problem with that as much as the bugs I found.

Whiskey compass stuck on north, I was unable to shut the engine off because I was unable to move the mixture control to the cut off position and yes I know about the friction lock on the side.  I tried adjusting that but was unable to pull the mixture control further back than 40%, I was not able to get the #1 Nav to work. 

Right now between the sim issues and a buggy Arrow I am going to take a break until things get resolved.

Just had to vent a little.

3 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

Just downloaded the Arrow.  I was anxious for the purchase because I have lots of time in the real aircraft.  Between the issues with the sim itself and the buggy airplane I tried to fly, I am pretty disappointed.  First of all it is a representation of a real beat up airplane.  I really don't have a problem with that as much as the bugs I found.

Whiskey compass stuck on north, I was unable to shut the engine off because I was unable to move the mixture control to the cut off position and yes I know about the friction lock on the side.  I tried adjusting that but was unable to pull the mixture control further back than 40%, I was not able to get the #1 Nav to work. 

Right now between the sim issues and a buggy Arrow I am going to take a break until things get resolved.

Just had to vent a little.

There is a workaround in the meantime whilst waiting for patch 3, posted by one of the team earlier:

Whiskey compass is broken and has been for many since release, they are fixing it but here's the workaround in the meantime
it can be fixed manually be editing the 'JF_PA28_VC.xml' file in \Packages\Community\justflight-aircraft-pa28-arrow-iii\SimObjects\Airplanes\JF_PA28_Arrow\model
<PartInfo>
<Name>UPPER_compass</Name>
<AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
<Code>(L:UPPER_compass, number)</Code>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

Eddie
KABQ

Thank you,

I think I will wait for the update.  I could fix that but then there are the other issues.  I think the add on as a lot of potential.  The brief flights I took brought a lot of memories and it did fly pretty close to what I remember flying the real aircraft.

Once again, thank you for your help and have a great evening.

3 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

Thank you,

I think I will wait for the update.  I could fix that but then there are the other issues.  I think the add on as a lot of potential.  The brief flights I took brought a lot of memories and it did fly pretty close to what I remember flying the real aircraft.

Once again, thank you for your help and have a great evening.

I am doing the same thing, waiting for the next update. There are also a couple more small issues that they are going to address in that update. When I was flying P3D, there were two aircraft that I practically lived in, the A2A Comanche and their T6.  Now I am addicted to the JF Arrow 3. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Also, there is a mixture lock that prevents going below 40%. It is not the friction lock. You have to left-click on it to move the mixture to cutoff. BFA73345-32-F9-49-C5-9457-E577-E9-B3-FBA

• Like 2

Eddie
KABQ

28 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

First of all it is a representation of a real beat up airplane.

In the manual it installs in it's documents folder there are instructions on how to have cleaner interior:

This simulation of the Arrow III is an exact likeness of the real-life G-BGKU, including the significant wear and tear to the cockpit resulting from decades of use as a training aircraft. For those who would prefer a less worn cockpit, we have included a set of alternative textures. The two texture sets can be found in the ‘\justflightaircraft-pa28-arrow-iii\Cockpit\’ folder and replace the files found in ‘\justflight-aircraft-pa28-arrow-iii\SimObjects\Airplanes\JF_PA28_Arrow\TEXTURE.VC’ folder.

If after that you want it even cleaner, there is a cleaner interior mod at:

https://www.flightsim.to/file/9991/piper-pa28r-arrow-iii-justflight-clean-interior

Edited by Phantoms

James

This is the update pending release:

v0.3.0 (pending release)

• Direction Indicator (DI) bezel now illuminated by panel lighting
  • Whiskey compass animation fixed
  • Sun visor animation now visible from exterior
  • GNS 530 display now remains visible after GPS unit toggle on EFB is used
  • Landing gear auto-extension logic fixes

As Haskell said, this is what Just Flight say about fixing the compass:

That will be fixed in an upcoming update - https://community.justflight.com/topic/1806/update-change-logs-edited-19-03-21

In the meantime it can be fixed manually be editing the 'JF_PA28_VC.xml' file in *\Packages\Community\justflight-aircraft-pa28-arrow-iii\SimObjects\Airplanes\JF_PA28_Arrow\model*

<PartInfo>
<Name>UPPER_compass</Name>
<AnimLength>360</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
<Code>(L:UPPER_compass, number)</Code>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

turns out I failed to exercise the demons from the code.  Uninstall and reinstall appears to have done that.  She's a handful on takeoff.  Great fun with this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbreeze said:

I was not able to get the #1 Nav to work. 

Maybe the installation is corrupt or something? I was doing some VOR tracking and ILS practice with it today and those worked fine. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

8 hours ago, pvupilot said:

Maybe the installation is corrupt or something? I was doing some VOR tracking and ILS practice with it today and those worked fine. 

I had the same issue. Others were reporting that the GNS unit 1 wasn’t working. I believe it affects NAV 1.when using classic radios as well. The difference is that with no lights on it you don’t know until you realize it just never tunes!

Eddie
KABQ

Greetings,

Ok, gave the Arrow another try today.  Deleted then installed it again.  Whiskey compass still stuck on North however I did get the mixture to work properly and the No 1 Nav to work.  One thing I cant figure out is the Garmin 530.  I can't get the screen to display.  When I turn it on the buttons are illuminated but the display is blank.  Ideas anyone?

Thank you

16 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

Greetings,

Ok, gave the Arrow another try today.  Deleted then installed it again.  Whiskey compass still stuck on North however I did get the mixture to work properly and the No 1 Nav to work.  One thing I cant figure out is the Garmin 530.  I can't get the screen to display.  When I turn it on the buttons are illuminated but the display is blank.  Ideas anyone?

Thank you

Did you try rotating the on-off volume knob, upper left 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

35 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

Greetings,

Thank you

I know this is not what you may want to hear but... Radio navigation is magical on this bird. I refuse to touch the garmins until asobo fixes them (If they ever do) so im flying it just by radio navigation. I'm flying from Ecuador to NY. I'm already over south carolina. The degree of planning that you need to do to successfully do these flights with real weather and just using radios is really rewarding. try it. Do a few flights without those garmins if you can.

Juan Ramos

52 minutes ago, cbreeze said:

Greetings,

Thank you

There is an intermittent sim glitch with the Garmin 530 on all aircraft, the Mooney does it as well. Restarting the flight sometimes fixes it.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Thanks to all who recently replied.

Xender, many years ago I flew the 180 and 200 hp version of this airplane.  Long before GPS.  I got my instrument rating with an airplane that had the old steam gauges.  You are absolutely right in planning and executing a cross country flight using the steam gauges was more work but more fun and rewarding.  For some reason back then,  I had trouble with ADF navigation and approaches but eventually mastered it.  One of the reasons I wanted this aircraft was to relive the good old days.  We have really let ourselves get spoiled with all the fancy GPS stuff that is currently available.  The FAA is currently in the process of decommissioning a lot of the old VOR stations.  Several around the Chicago area no longer exist.  Sad.

• Like 2