Sign in to follow this  
Wizard-Bob

New Laptop - Should I expect to run FSX or MSFS?

Hi all.  I am buying a new laptop so I can scratch my "away from home but still want to fly" itch.  Getting an MSI GE75 Raider with Core i7-10875H, RTX 2070 Super [Mobile], 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz Ram, 1 TB NVMe SSD.  Panel is a 17.3" 300 Hz 3ms display.

I already own FSX:SE.  Curious if suggestions would be to install and enjoy that, or go ahead and try MSFS2020.  While on the road, I will be most interested in "Low and Slow" GA flying, so graphics presentation and performance will be important.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that'll run FSX no problem whatsoever.

When I used to go away training and stay in hotels, I used to run FSX on a £399 Hewlett Packard laptop with just four Gb of RAM and a built-in graphics (and it was using the Vista as the operating system at the time lol).

Believe it or not, it actually worked really well, to the point where you could crank the graphics details up fairly high. I can distinctly remember it running the A2A Accusim B-17 Flying Fortress - which is a pretty complex add-on -  well enough to land it at Boeing Field, which is in an area that is pretty busy scenery-wise.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You should be able to find a trial for Microsoft gamepass, for £1 or equivalent. You can then install msfs 2020 and try it for a month. Should run OK on that I would think 

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

3 hours ago, Wizard-Bob said:

Hi all.  I am buying a new laptop so I can scratch my "away from home but still want to fly" itch.  Getting an MSI GE75 Raider with Core i7-10875H, RTX 2070 Super [Mobile], 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz Ram, 1 TB NVMe SSD.  Panel is a 17.3" 300 Hz 3ms display.

I already own FSX:SE.  Curious if suggestions would be to install and enjoy that, or go ahead and try MSFS2020.  While on the road, I will be most interested in "Low and Slow" GA flying, so graphics presentation and performance will be important.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Your laptop has more grunt than my Desktop, and I have no trouble running FS2020, P3dv45 and Xplane11.51, all with high settings. You should have no problems except, maybe, keeping the laptop cool.

Edited by JustanotherPilot
  • Upvote 1

steve southey

My 15 month old laptop is 100% abysmal compared to my 6 month old desktop in all respects.  But worthy of mention is that I had free reign for component selections for the desktop.  Laptops seem to be "take me as I am" or look further...

I quit looking....

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'd say it should run either sim rather well. 

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for the feedback!  I am encouraged that either sim may provide some FUN, so I may just go ahead and install both and try it out.  I'll report back with any significant findings.  Happy simming!

• Like 1

-Bob

I have an Asus I7-10750 laptop which I got specifically for MSFS (it was a huge upgrade from my last PC), 16gig of ram, M.2  NVME storage, and GTX1660ti. I can play with all settings on high and clouds on ultra and get 30-50fps unless in the usual high-density areas (NYC, LAX, London). This is at 1080 resolution.

Your setup should do just fine at 1080, probably even 1440. I wouldn't try 4k or VR though, probably be a disappointment. 

Edited by mattn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mattn said:

Your setup should do just fine at 1080, probably even 1440. I wouldn't try 4k or VR though, probably be a disappointment. 

Thanks for your experience.  I will be running in 1080p so should be good to go 🙂

-Bob

Just make sure the laptop does not throttle due to Turbo Boost. Even on gaming laptops, I don't trust well the coolers unless I downclock a bit both CPU and GPU.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thanks again for all the replies.  I appreciate it!

I have now downloaded and can run both FSX:SE (Ultra settings) and MSFS (High-End settings).  Both are running very well.  CPU and GPU temps are staying in the 75 - 82 Celsius range during flight.  I think that is reasonable.

So far, I am a very happy camper!

• Like 1

-Bob