Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

HP Reverb G2 new firmware is out

It's supposed to fix audio / black screen issues with the headset.

ENHANCEMENTS:

FIXES: 
- Resolves a potential issue where displays may flicker or go black when playing certain titles at high volume levels.
HOW TO USE:
1. Connect your HP Reverb G2 to your system.

2. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive. 

3. Browse to the location of the extracted files on the system and run USB Audio FW Update Tool_PID4C15_v14(2021-03-08)_HP_VR_V2.exe.

Copyright (c) 2021 HP Development Company, L.P.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset/33835976

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Yes I have it since the beginning of March (I am WIndows Insider)

Honestly I had no audio / black screen / disconnection issues from the beginning so the firmware didn't change anything.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I found that it improved, but did not eliminate my issues with occasional blackouts of my Reverb G2.  I'm probably going to use that issue as a reason for a warranty replacement, but I've got until December until my warranty runs out, and I'd rather wait until they have plenty of inventory so I can get a quick replacement.  Besides, who knows what minor manufacturing improvements they might make between now and then that will improve the product, but without it being so drastic as to make it a G3.  Then again, if they'll warranty replace a G2 with a G3, who am I to say no to that?

Not sure what that is exactly that you just said, but I do have it on a powered USB hub, and the only other thing plugged into it is my t.16000m joystick.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, KevyKevTPA said:

Not sure what that is exactly that you just said, but I do have it on a powered USB hub, and the only other thing plugged into it is my t.16000m joystick.

I have a homebuilt cockpit with half-dozen I/O cards plus joystick, throttle, and rudders attached. I have learn from experience that some peripherals do not play well with hubs, even powered. As dogmandbird suggested, you might try connecting directly to a computer usb port. I connected directly to the computer and (knock on wood) have had zero issues with my G2.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Occasional blackouts can be caused by background processes. Like with my wireless Xbox controller when I turn it on again after it switched itself off. When it reconnects to MSFS I can get a temporary blackout. Another thing were those awfull Logitech apps: LogiOverlay, LogiOptionsMgr and LogiOptions. Took me months to find out these were causing blackouts and even worse, CTD's.

2 hours ago, jmig said:

As dogmandbird suggested, you might try connecting directly to a computer usb port.

I had it plugged in that way, but I didn't like having to frequently unplug the cable from the headset.  Now, it may be causing more frequent blackouts this way, but since it's only a question of when I'm going to request a warranty replacement at this point, not when, then I'll just leave it and see how the new one behaves.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi kev - the card is something like this that you pop into the PC. Generally they are more reliable than a powered USB hub and have solved a lot of the blackout issues for people, as they tend to supply a more constant power without interruption, sometimes even more reliable than the motherboard's on-board USB ports. For less than $20 it may be worth a try before returning the headset.  On windows 10 they should be recognised automatically without you needing to install any special drivers or software.

https://i.imgur.com/BAKa0r3.png

Are you wanting to unplug the headset because of concerns it's always powered up? It does turn itself off after time, and will do so quickly if you close off the WMR portal app.

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Like 1

I have noticed blackouts that seem to be correlated with controller timeout.

The idle controller will buzz and then 10-15 seconds of blackout. Anybody else see this?

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2

There is another G2 Firmware update out. Think its dated April, 13 or 14th Its revision A

Edited by Romeo_Tango

Robin

Also check your device manager and uncheck last page where it says turn off device to save power. Ancient software twinking technology.

AND I think you have to go into the installed C:/SWsetup folder and click on the app, same goes for previous update if not done. Does do something too....so maybe needed. There is a document maybe I should read it before giving this advice? Yup you have to be patient with it to show up on screen too

Edited by peppy197