Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I hear that you can make XP11 looks as good as MSFS

39 minutes ago, fppilot said:

And maybe in two or three years MSFS might fly as well as previous sims, and communicate as well, as well as several other factors.  A good bit of my flying is in IFR conditions (hint: the ground is not visible)

MSFS already flies better than previous sims. You wouldn't be here if it didn't. I fly ifr all the time in MSFS unless you are referring to only being able to fly ifr with a study level jet

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

There are fans of both simulators, and a good chunk are both delusional on different things. It's pointless to dive into those view, they will never reconcile. A lot of them also has to somewhat defend their own investment in money on a peculiar sim, they need to confirm their certainty about having picked the right sim.

Me, i used all Microsoft Sims until FSX, then switched to XP10 and XP11. And Aerofly. And DCS. And now mostly back in MSFS (but waiting for XP12). If people tried more things perhaps they would see there are advantages and disadvantages.. The issue is that they do not.

I can only afford to use one sim at a time because of my busy schedule. I switched from p3d to xp, then to msfs. I still have xp installed though.

Edited by devgrp

50 minutes ago, fppilot said:

And maybe in two or three years MSFS might fly as well as previous sims, and communicate as well, as well as several other factors.  A good bit of my flying is in IFR conditions (hint: the ground is not visible)

Well, I feel pretty IFR proficient  in MSFS right now 🙂

unknown.png?width=1998&height=1124

• Like 5

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

54 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

and the streamed bing data that MSFS has.

Not going to happen.

9 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Same here, every flight I do is IFR, just as I did in P3D. Just have to keep an eye on AP on ILS approach, sometimes it won't line up with runway, but  I think that might be AP function, so I just hand fly it. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Same here, every flight I do is IFR, just as I did in P3D. Just have to keep an eye on AP on ILS approach, sometimes it won't line up with runway, but  I think that might be AP function, so I just hand fly it. 

alot of these guys think you can only fly ifr in "study level" jets

1 minute ago, devgrp said:

alot of these guys think you can only fly ifr in "study level" jets

I bet there isn't one instrument rated pilot that got their rating on a study level aircraft...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

21 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

VC looks good.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

MSFS is pretty, but...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

3 minutes ago, Juliett Alfa said:

MSFS is pretty, but...

This reminds me of the threads that used to pop up from time to time on the P3D forum, where the XP fan boys would start posting that P3D was garbage and XP was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Of course a few people would ask the XP zealots, if XP was so great, why are they hanging out in a P3D forum, which they never had an answer for that made any sense. Pretty soon the thread would get locked. 

• Like 4

Even here I saw many forums users asking me why I was flying the Aerosoft A320 instead of the FSLabs. There is always someone who is going to act like they are superior than you and if you buy that 200$ aircraft, you are not worthy of being a flight simmer.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

It looks like a 20 year old computer game.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

There are fans of both simulators, and a good chunk are both delusional on different things. It's pointless to dive into those view, they will never reconcile. A lot of them also has to somewhat defend their own investment in money on a peculiar sim, they need to confirm their certainty about having picked the right sim.

Me, i used all Microsoft Sims until FSX, then switched to XP10 and XP11. And Aerofly. And DCS. And now mostly back in MSFS (but waiting for XP12). If people tried more things perhaps they would see there are advantages and disadvantages.. The issue is that they do not.

I've tried everything and XPlane never did it for me.  The CEO/originator/developer (Laminar) has always been dead set on Flight Dynamics as the end all.  He has forsaken everything else depending on this one aspect of simming.  It's only since XPlane10 that the look of the sim was somewhat addressed.  For me if your going to simulate real world aviation you have to attempt the best visuals you can get with the current technology for VFR, a real world weather engine is also key as it's a major part of taking your first private pilot exam, and ATC simulation to interact with AI aircraft is key as your never in the skies alone in the real world.  Anything related to aviation (combat sims or otherwise) you work with, shoot, and/or fly with other aircraft in the sky (even with the onset of Covid and 9/11 there were plains somewhere in the ski or ATC telling you to land immediately in the case of 9/11).  XPlane for years had you flying around alone salivating over the Flight Model in apocalyptic lonely skies... 

No other option has attempted to cover everything like the Flight Simulator series has since FS2k2 and the add-on community expanded/helped allot with that.  The comparisons is not even close visually (even going back to FS9 and the XPlane version at the time) or otherwise as XPlane never seriously tried yet it was always marketed as the best simulator for pilot training for the desktop.  Microsoft by comparison cowered away from the title of simulator and marketed their all around option as a game.  Even today with FS2020 on the market if you do a Google search for the best Flight Simulator available XPlane comes up, go figure.  I guess you could say a selling point is it works on more OS's than just Windows which is significant and that alone puts it over the top for many as Linux has a low overhead meaning a smoother sim experience.  Android compatibility was good but now Flight Simulator for the first time works on XBOX.  XBOX and Linux, you choose which is the more serious option to have a sim on...

So judging by history and what company is pushing their tech I hope Lockheed get's a partnership with Google Earth and upgrades P3D's visuals (not sure how that is going to work as at it's heart it's a Microsoft product).  P3D although based on FSX code is our best hope for competition at this point.  Laminar/XPlane by contrast I don't see stepping up to the plate.  You either like that limited type of simming or you don't.  XPlane has stood the test of time being offered on various platforms.  To me XPlane in usability is one step up from the freeware 'Flight Gear' which has been around for years as well.  

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

5 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

it's the lighting that is 100% bad. The geometry and texture can be fix but the lighting and the reflections is what makes this sim looks so old. If you increase reflection in graphics, you get terrible FPS drops. 

Edited by fogboundturtle
  • Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

5 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

To be fair, so do a lot of real world simulators pilots train on. But it IS nice to have everything in the one simulator. Flight dynamics, weather and realistic world scenery. 

Only 2 of those are essential though.