Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I hear that you can make XP11 looks as good as MSFS

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

sure you can do some photoshop afterward and make it look better but it's not how it looks when I fly. I was not trying to make one look worse than the other. I hope this is clear

You are aware that this is just like a "my sim is better looking than yours" thread? 😀

If it is not, it turned into that because that's usually what happens with these types of threads.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

18 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Do you honestly think that the 172 in XP flies like a real 172???

I'm not a pilot, however I'm a biology major who loves aviation, so I am taking aerodynamics courses as well. I will also start doing double major with aerodynamics next semester. Mathematically speaking, X-Plane's approach to flight modelling is more "physical", so in theory it should be more accurate, at least below Mach 0.7 where compressible flow effects can be accurately approximated. MSFS tries to estimate something which is already experimentally known in the form of airfoils, reducing accuracy - I believe this is done for backwards compatibility purposes. I can't comment on X-Plane's implementation as I don't have access to its source code. However if it's implemented correctly it should be really close to real life.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

7 minutes ago, DJJose said:

You are aware that this is just like a "my sim is better looking than yours" thread? 😀

If it is not, it turned into that because that's usually what happens with these types of threads.

I dont know chief. He simply heard some folks state that xplane can be made to look like msfs with addons. He tested that theory and shared results. His original post states nothing about either being inferior or superior in any regards.. seems you came to that conclusion by your own vice.

Go to the Org xp forums and you'll find this thread except with opposite opinions haha.  This forum is predominantly FSX/ESP.  Anyway this type of post is nothing new here at avsim.  

I will address one thing.  The RNAV(GPS) navigational capabilities in MSFS are still below par compared to XP11 (even with Navigraph).  I expect it to change eventually, especially with WT at the helm now.

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

21 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Are those P3D screenshots? Enhanced Atmospherics mode indeed looks beautiful, which is one of the main reasons I (mostly) switched to P3D from X-Plane. Obviously the other one is airliners.

Yes, it's P3D.
It isn't nearly as bad as some people like to pretend.

6 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

It depends: If the resolution is high enough to show roads/rivers/railways/buildings even from 1.000 ft. and these are accurate to the real world, then yes. I don't know about X-plane, but I tried to navigate VFR through the german/austrian Alps between LOWS and LOWI in both P3D (full Orbx galore) and MSFS (stock). And while in P3D the sim remotely resembled the environment I know pretty well, MSFS made me believe I was there. However, real life still is different - because if you can't spot the road that's on your chart in the narrow valley you have just flown into at low altitude, you simply go "ooops" and reset the sim. Try that irl. "True" VFR-flying is "IFR (I follow railways)", just using your chart and compass (and knowing its flaws while turning/climbing/descending) or Gyro (if you're lucky and your FI permits its use) and your outside vision. And the latter is where MSFS exceeds its competitors by far.

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew VFR in MSFS following roads I new well in both upper New York State and Long Island, and had no trouble at all figuring out where I was. With P3D that wouldn't be possible. 

I use the freeware program Ortho4XP_FSX_P3D to download scenery as high as ZL18 / LOD16 / 60cm resolution and generate autogen to get lots of detail, but for areas where I just overfly with airliners, I choose a lower resolution.

Lots of commercial payware uses ZL17 / LOD15 / 1.2m or lower to keep the disk space footprint and licence purchase price down, using only a very small area (usually the airfield and immediate surroundings) at a higher resolution. That's why you won't be able to navigate at 1,000ft as easily using payware.

2 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Agreed.
I really dislike the 'must-bash-every-element-of-a-competitor-flight-sim' .

My point here was merely to show how P3D isn't just the FSX-like landclass simulator it is portrayed as.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Yes, it's P3D.
It isn't nearly as bad as some people like to pretend.

I'm going to add that it looks better than X-Plane for me - and I have been using X-Plane 11 since 2018. I've never actually gotten into P3D until a few months ago, because people were talking about how much better X-Plane looks compared to P3D even with lots of payware.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

5 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Ive been a long time user of P3D Xplane and now MSFS. You can make them all look pretty good and with a little bit of money but you'll never get them to look like MSFS, plain and simple. 

you mean "with a lot of money" and then only to a small area

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kapitan said:

you mean "with a lot of money" and then only to a small area

And a ton of hard drive space. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

X-plane  is great,I have used it since the 90's as well as several others.

And can be made to look pretty good with Orbx or ORTH4XP.

And third party airports.

However none of the cloud addons look realistic like FS2020. And they really impact frame rate in XP.

The planes in XP are much more mature and choices are almost unlimited, like great helis.

However since I got FS2020 I can't stand XP, it just looks dated in comparison.

So my choice is to play FS2020, and I enjoy watching it mature. It is only getting better and fast. XP seems stuck.

Just my nickel...

• Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

XP11 suffers from that horrible algae green tint atmosphere everywhere,

Its a complete turn off with that issue because it makes everywhere look and feel the same mood wise. 

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

29 minutes ago, DJJose said:

@filou those are excellent pics. You have always found a way to make XP11 look amazing. It doesn't look like that on my monitor. 😀

27 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Or any Monitor i have seen either. 

It is essential for me to use xVision (Must Have) with specific settings for the weather engine or plugin you are using in addition to the ORBX TrueEarth but with Ortho it also works very well.

I spent a lot of time finding the right xVision settings . On facebook I received 10 messages a day from people who wanted my settings. I shared a lot.

XP only needs a good weather engine with beautiful clouds and an upgrade on the renderer. That's all.

• Like 2

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

Every time I see a thread like this, I wonder how many of the MSFS users who now rave over the "real world visuals" in the new simulator used to bash the "unrealistically flat" photoscenery available for P3D/XPlane, and drooled at the "scattershot autogen boxes/totally unrealistic cardboard cutout urban landclass textures/Minecraft quality coastlines" stuff that was widely seen as a masterpiece of flight simulation visual fidelity.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

25 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Every time I see a thread like this, I wonder how many of the MSFS users who now rave over the "real world visuals" in the new simulator used to bash the "unrealistically flat" photoscenery available for P3D/XPlane, and drooled at the "scattershot autogen boxes/totally unrealistic cardboard cutout urban landclass textures/Minecraft quality coastlines" stuff that was widely seen as a masterpiece of flight simulation visual fidelity.

The AVSIM population aren't as turncoat as the new MSFS forum population when it comes to a shiny new toy.

Tons of folks here still appreciate their older sims and could really care less about eye candy modern visuals.

P3D/XP11 are still greatly loved here and primary go to sims over MSFS.

That says alot....

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

9 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

The AVSIM population aren't as turncoat as the new MSFS forum population when it comes to a shiny new toy.

Tons of folks here still appreciate their older sims and could really care less about eye candy modern visuals.

P3D/XP11 are still greatly loved here and primary go to sims over MSFS.

That says alot....

I know a guy who still loves his flip phone. 😉

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Im sticking with msfs2020 . Yes they messed up the last update badly but hopefully will learn from it . I fly mostly GA and virtually every time I use external camera I say 'wow that is stunning' . At the moment I have those stutters but this sim has reignited my enthusiasm for the hobby . I used xp11 for 3 months prior to the launch of msfs2020 for the purpose of getting back into the hobby ready for 2020 launch . I wont be going back to xp11 .

Working title joining the team is a sign asobo want to make significant improvements particularly to aircraft systems ,  and the fact they have recognised and rewarded someone from the mod community to do it is hugely encouraging . Lets see where we are in 12 months . If they are still breaking update after update or dumbing down the sim for xbox purposes I may consider something else, but will patiently wait and see . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1