Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I hear that you can make XP11 looks as good as MSFS

7 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Why??  nothing wrong with xplane 11. Id pack some handkerchiefs you may need them when you are again disappointed.

Compatibly and uncertainty is my concern. And I've no room to keep XP11 (2.5TB) when XP12 comes out.

Edited by jarmstro

11 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Why??  nothing wrong with xplane 11.

I guess the same reason I'm holding off OrbX GB, and plenty of others are holding off buying good things for X-Plane

There is nothing wrong with XP11, it keeps me more than entertained, and the group think is new and better that you will really want to spend money on is coming along soon, whereas anything you buy for XP11 could be out of date and need buying again in 3 to 6 months.

Or maybe Greazer is right, and its twelve months, but by the time we probably find that out anything you buy for XP11 would be out of date and need buying again in 3 to 6 months.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

54 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I guess the same reason I'm holding off OrbX GB, and plenty of others are holding off buying good things for X-Plane

There is nothing wrong with XP11, it keeps me more than entertained, and the group think is new and better that you will really want to spend money on is coming along soon, whereas anything you buy for XP11 could be out of date and need buying again in 3 to 6 months.

Or maybe Greazer is right, and its twelve months, but by the time we probably find that out anything you buy for XP11 would be out of date and need buying again in 3 to 6 months.

I dont buy scenery nor airports just planes, weather and things I need to fly. As for planes I prefer turboprop airlines and there is not that many decent planes around. Have enough jets.

5 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

I dont buy scenery nor airports just planes, weather and things I need to fly. As for planes I prefer turboprop airlines and there is not that many decent planes around. Have enough jets.

Pretty sure there will always be room for scenery, and quite a few OrbX products would be worth it if I could be certain I could get long term use out of them.

I did my first heli experience at Barton in the UK

that heli on the ground at 59 seconds is the one that got me hooked.

No amount of me tweaking in wed will get me that, but XP12 default may well better it, Laminar already have ESRI street level ortho in streamed into WED...

So I'm enjoying what Ive got, while working to make things better and bemoaning the current silence on a detailed future out of Laminar.

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Pretty sure there will always be room for scenery, and quite a few OrbX products would be worth it if I could be certain I could get long term use out of them.

I did my first heli experience at Barton in the UK

that heli on the ground at 59 seconds is the one that got me hooked.

No amount of me tweaking in wed will get me that, but XP12 default may well better it, Laminar already have ESRI street level ortho in streamed into WED...

So I'm enjoying what Ive got, while working to make things better and bemoaning the current silence on a detailed future out of Laminar.

Gate way good enough for me. I get in plane plan my flight and take off. But if I land in a badly done airport I will upgrade it. Got 3 on the run right now. Might pay for some bush airports but that would be my limit.

34 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Gate way good enough for me. I get in plane plan my flight and take off. But if I land in a badly done airport I will upgrade it. Got 3 on the run right now. Might pay for some bush airports but that would be my limit.

gateway is OK, and will surely look as good as msfs payware once xplane default assets get an overhaul.

But the good payware scenery is only just on par with msfs, so they are going to have to up their game further to justify purchases, I wont mind paying for that - and look forward to it.

I'd probably buy Barton now if I was sure its going to be two or three years before XP12 is ready, rather than just implying it from Laminars silence on that topic. I suspect @jarmstro would be more willing to jump on the TBM for the same reasons.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

I'd probably buy Barton now if I was sure its going to be two or three years before XP12 is ready

You really should buy Barton.....(*Yes, I'm the author of this airport :biggrin:)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

How did we get here?  I think Mod needs to lock this thread.  The OP's purpose and intent of making a statement was that no matter what people do with XP11 it will not be MSFS2020.  Sure, but what's the point?  I for one think the XP11 world is good enough.  The objective of your hobby IS to fly the plane, and that it behaves reasonably well.  I mainly fly the Carbon XCub in MSFS2020 for the visual and 30-45 mins leisure "pretending flight", pretending because the plane was behaving weirdly but I did not care, because I was enjoy looking outside.  On the day I want a serious flight, I set it all up with XP11, at FL300, the scenery diff and the env. is not as important as the plane.  The day when most Flight schools announce that the use MSFS2020 for student training is the day I pay attention, as of now the SDK (according to developers are subpar) and other than ridiculous priced Airport sceneries that you looks once, not a whole lot of seriously behaving plane models in this sim.

• Like 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

11 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

How did we get here?  I think Mod needs to lock this thread.  The OP's purpose and intent of making a statement was that no matter what people do with XP11 it will not be MSFS2020.  Sure, but what's the point?

So that other's can express their opposing view to prove that it can be made to look as good or better.

14 minutes ago, Anxu00 said:

I for one think the XP11 world is good enough.

That's great but we would never know that if you only allow this thread to be locked.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

How did we get here?  I think Mod needs to lock this thread.  The OP's purpose and intent of making a statement was that no matter what people do with XP11 it will not be MSFS2020.  Sure, but what's the point?  I for one think the XP11 world is good enough.  The objective of your hobby IS to fly the plane, and that it behaves reasonably well.  I mainly fly the Carbon XCub in MSFS2020 for the visual and 30-45 mins leisure "pretending flight", pretending because the plane was behaving weirdly but I did not care, because I was enjoy looking outside.  On the day I want a serious flight, I set it all up with XP11, at FL300, the scenery diff and the env. is not as important as the plane.  The day when most Flight schools announce that the use MSFS2020 for student training is the day I pay attention, as of now the SDK (according to developers are subpar) and other than ridiculous priced Airport sceneries that you looks once, not a whole lot of seriously behaving plane models in this sim.

As long as there is more than one flight sim, the debates will rage on.  Sometimes getting out of hand, with personal attacks and insults.  It all depends on how they continue.  I actually don't like threads getting locked.  Leaves things hanging without resolution...even if that resolution takes a while to eventuate.  People want to get their point across, without getting ridiculed for what they choose.

However, taking all that into account, if you think the debates in the X-Plane forums get out of hand, just check out the MSFS forums, or even reddit.  What happens in here is kindergarten compared to other forums.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

How did we get here?  I think Mod needs to lock this thread.  The OP's purpose and intent of making a statement was that no matter what people do with XP11 it will not be MSFS2020

Everytime a thread such as this is locked, another one pops up a few hours later. People want and like to talk about it, and as long as it stays relevant and non-personal, I don't see the need to lock it.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, tonywob said:

You really should buy Barton.....(*Yes, I'm the author of this airport :biggrin:)

Yes, If I recall correctly, the process went something like this

Ohhh Barton, veerrry nice

need EGCC to go with it.... oh no, no OrbX EGCC...

start downloading the (mostly substandard) gigabytes of libraries needed for the freeware EGCC, exceed .org download quota

meanwhile, get banned from the org for saying I expect to see NV cards be able to hit circa 400fps once Vulkan is gold 

Right about that btw:

b10dd65.jpg.ac7b5b532f9852f36e61be6d3c4e

get distracted by other things, never did get EGCC working.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Aerosoft have two versions of EGCC (The older one by Icarus is better in my opinion)... and it's also a pretty popular airport from some other developers as well. If I see a freeware airport that requires GBs of libraries I generally avoid it and stick to the gateway version as it's simply too much hassle.

The issue has always been that the area is one of the most densely populated in the UK and can be taxiing on older systems, although Vulkan helped a lot.

10 minutes ago, mSparks said:

meanwhile, get banned from the org for saying I expect to see NV cards be able to hit circa 400fps once Vulkan is gold 

Ha, I've seen people banned for much less :-). Speaking of NVidia, they need to somehow deal with this Bitcoin mining pandemic. I know they tried to limit the GPUs so they were crippled for miners, but of course they got round it. The price and demand for these things are extremely high and it's becoming a real pain for people who just want to use the devices as intended. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonywob said:

they need to somehow deal with this Bitcoin mining pandemic.

Really off topic/tangent, but doesn't deserve its own thread:

1. The shortage has nothing to do with a "cryptomining pandemic", and everything to do with the likes of Google, Microsoft and digital ocean filling their data centers with them for AI tasks like image and voice recognition, the RTX3000 series has more processing horse power than the $10,000 TESLAs and friends, the talking heads putting the blame on a fairly small segment of the market have no idea what they are talking about

2. Even if it was, why should they care? they are multipurpose cards designed for high performance matrix calculations, NVidia, the shops selling them and the talking heads have no idea what end users are using them for, in fact most of the AI stuff is still trade secrets.

3. The mass US shortage of chips is actually caused by the ongoing US trade war with China, US policy makers got what they wanted asked for.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

6 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Really off topic/tangent, but doesn't deserve its own thread:

1. The shortage has nothing to do with a "cryptomining pandemic", and everything to do with the likes of Google, Microsoft and digital ocean filling their data centers with them for AI tasks like image and voice recognition, the RTX3000 series has more processing horse power than the $10,000 TESLAs and friends, the talking heads putting the blame on a fairly small segment of the market have no idea what they are talking about

2. Even if it was, why should they care? they are multipurpose cards designed for high performance matrix calculations, NVidia, the shops selling them and the talking heads have no idea what end users are using them for, in fact most of the AI stuff is still trade secrets.

3. The mass US shortage of chips is actually caused by the ongoing US trade war with China, US policy makers got what they wanted asked for.

There is mention of a drought in Taiwan which is causing water shortages to plants, plus corona, shipping issues, people reducing manufacturing expecting corona to slow demand, lots of stupidity + greed. GPU manufactures want to make money could care less who bought them