Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Nvidia performance article

A few months ago I read a great online guide on how to get the best performance out of an Nvidia card (it had been shared here).

Unfortunately, I now can't find it!

Would anyone happen to have a link to it (or something similar!). Ideally I'd like to get my GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card really finely tuned!

Thanks all

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Try this for the time being.

• Like 3

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I suggest you go to You Tube and search for Nvidia P3D or something of the sort. There are lots of vids, but as with anything, quality varies. This is pretty much a hit and miss operation because there are so many different combinations of computer rigs that one size does not fit all. 

Meantime a couple of suggestions. This is on Avsim

and this is on You Tube

I never advice to use Nvidia control panel settings with P3D, specially V5, people always managed to actually cause more issues like:  device hungs, stutters, general performance issues, artefacts, bad effects particles rendering, bad dynamic lighting performance.. The list goes on for pages..

90 percent of support tickets containing complaints regarding performance with my own products and many other 3rd party developers partners I work with and that I provide also support are related to Nvidia profiles, and upon my advice to clear those, all problems are gone.

With DX12 it is better to leave the base program (in this case P3D) to handle all the settings itself, otherwise it is very likely you will suffer from conflicts between the internal DX engine and nvidia profiles trying to achieve different goals causing more problems than benefits.

My 2 cents.

Simbol 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, simbol said:

I never advice to use Nvidia control panel settings with P3D, specially V5, people always managed to actually cause more issues like:  device hungs, stutters, general performance issues, artefacts, bad effects particles rendering, bad dynamic lighting performance.. The list goes on for pages..

90 percent of support tickets containing complaints regarding performance with my own products and many other 3rd party developers partners I work with and that I provide also support are related to Nvidia profiles, and upon my advice to clear those, all problems are gone.

With DX12 it is better to leave the base program (in this case P3D) to handle all the settings itself, otherwise it is very likely you will suffer from conflicts between the internal DX engine and nvidia profiles trying to achieve different goals causing more problems than benefits.

My 2 cents.

Simbol 

Hi Simbol,

Before I start it is important to understand that I'm not looking for any unproductive discussion, just clarifications and guidance, I think that I'm not the only one. 

I find out that certain items actually help, using Nvidia color settings to have the output dynamic range to "Full" and Power management to maximum performance will not create any issue. I might be wrong.

And then, why would they list so many options and adjustments, this is where many of us have questions and search for answers.

I and others will greatly appreciate it if you would have any other suggestions for improvement versus defaults.

Thank you!
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, simbol said:

But one of the recommendations on the LM forum is for Prefer Maximum Performance for a graphics card setting. Confused? I am.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But one of the recommendations on the LM forum is for Prefer Maximum Performance for a graphics card setting. Confused? I am.

For V5 Ray? can you point me where is this please? because if they have I need to warn then.. my personal experience and the number of support tickets I had to handle due to this is staggering!

Regards,

S.

"Optimal Power" is the default setting which gives "Prefer Maximum Performance" when you run the game.

Changing settings in the Nvidia Control Panel can lead to problems. The reason for problems are because the settings (under the hood) become mis-aligned.

It is important to factory default the settings before making changes. With "Global Settings" choose "Restore" button and "Apply".

Next, use the game "Profile" rather than the "Global Settings" to make changes for the simulator.

With the game Profile, if you do not see the "Restore" button, make any change and save it, then press the "Restore" button and "Apply". This seems to be counter-intuitive but doing this ensures the profile is fresh without errors.

Now changing settings for the profile is safe.

Also worth a note is that the big GPUs use a lot of power. Due to power and heat cycling the connections can become resistive even with gold plating. With GPU errors coming at any time it is possible this is the cause of problems. To ensure all the connections are good, it may be worth the trouble to lift up and reseat the GPU into the slot to disturb the connections and this cleans them for good contact, also reseat the power cables at the same time.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, simbol said:

For V5 Ray? can you point me where is this please? because if they have I need to warn then.. my personal experience and the number of support tickets I had to handle due to this is staggering!

Regards,

S.

Hi Simbol,

Not for v5 specifically. This is a generic help guide which is now 4 years old and maybe the guidance is no longer appropriate. Perhaps it's time LM updated it for v5. Item 4 includes the advice although wording is now different on NCP.

It did fix the change of vehicle within the sim including default > default.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

After eliminating the possibility of Nvidia Profile errors and poor connections, some other aspects can be investigated when having GPU errors. Next I would set all shadows off for a test which will reduce the VRAM load a lot. Also for testing purposes I might disable AI Traffic and airport vehicles.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

"Optimal Power" is the default setting which gives "Prefer Maximum Performance" when you run the game.

Changing settings in the Nvidia Control Panel can lead to problems. The reason for problems are because the settings (under the hood) become mis-aligned.

It is important to factory default the settings before making changes. With "Global Settings" choose "Restore" button and "Apply".

Next, use the game "Profile" rather than the "Global Settings" to make changes for the simulator.

With the game Profile, if you do not see the "Restore" button, make any change and save it, then press the "Restore" button and "Apply". This seems to be counter-intuitive but doing this ensures the profile is fresh without errors.

Now changing settings for the profile is safe.

Also worth a note is that the big GPUs use a lot of power. Due to power and heat cycling the connections can become resistive even with gold plating. With GPU errors coming at any time it is possible this is the cause of problems. To ensure all the connections are good, it may be worth the trouble to lift up and reseat the GPU into the slot to disturb the connections and this cleans them for good contact, also reseat the power cables at the same time.

Thank you Steve!

Now we get some reasoning. 

• Like 1

@SteveW, I've followed your advice and used Restore for both Global and P3D settings. I'd only made the one change in any case.

Knowing this will cause a DXGI error should I select a different vehicle within the sim I won't do it. Seems it's a bug that's likely to be fixed anyway.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW, I've followed your advice and used Restore for both Global and P3D settings. I'd only made the one change in any case.

Knowing this will cause a DXGI error should I select a different vehicle within the sim I won't do it. Seems it's a bug that's likely to be fixed anyway.

Yes, that's good advice to do some eliminations just in case it is not down to the other things.

I have been changing vehicles in the menu "vehicles", "Select"  including submarines and yet I've been unable to recreate the issue that some have there.

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Simbol,

Not for v5 specifically. This is a generic help guide which is now 4 years old and maybe the guidance is no longer appropriate. Perhaps it's time LM updated it for v5. Item 4 includes the advice although wording is now different on NCP.

It did fix the change of vehicle within the sim including default > default.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=123246

Right, yea for V5 since it uses DX12 it is better to just adjust setting directly inside P3D rather than Nvidia Profiles.

S.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simbol said:

Right, yea for V5 since it uses DX12 it is better to just adjust setting directly inside P3D rather than Nvidia Profiles.

S.

Will they be updating their advice given it's no longer relevant? And could be causing problems of course.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

I have been changing vehicles in the menu "vehicles", "Select"  including submarines and yet I've been unable to recreate the issue that some have there.

And therein lies the impossible job of trying to eliminate these types of CTDs. At least they give us a message now so are capturing the problem. Not before time some would say.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather