Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Nvidia performance article

13 minutes ago, simbol said:

Right, yea for V5 since it uses DX12 it is better to just adjust setting directly inside P3D rather than Nvidia Profiles.

S.

Yes, this is best. If there is a setting in a game that appears to be similar or the same as one in the Nvidia Control panel, the game setting should be used rather than the external setting. A game might change things around to suite a particular setting for its own purposes and that might not happen when using an external control setting.

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

And therein lies the impossible job of trying to eliminate these types of CTDs. At least they give us a message now so are capturing the problem. Not before time some would say.

Main thing to do with any problems, is to chop out major things in the simulator, to eliminate big portions (e.g. AI Traffic, Shadows, add-on scenery) and quickly see if the condition changes. Then inspect more closely depending on results. A stock install of the simulator is a good place to check, and even then large portions of functionality can be eliminated for testing, especially with VRAM topping out in v5.

VRAM availability is supposed to be handled by an application to gracefully decline rendering where VRAM is in short supply. Unfortunately with D3D12 that can reduce performance and can be a lot of extra work, especially in programs that have been converted from older versions of D3D.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

42 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Yes, this is best. If there is a setting in a game that appears to be similar or the same as one in the Nvidia Control panel, the game setting should be used rather than the external setting. A game might change things around to suite a particular setting for its own purposes and that might not happen when using an external control setting.

Main thing to do with any problems, is to chop out major things in the simulator, to eliminate big portions (e.g. AI Traffic, Shadows, add-on scenery) and quickly see if the condition changes. Then inspect more closely depending on results. A stock install of the simulator is a good place to check, and even then large portions of functionality can be eliminated for testing, especially with VRAM topping out in v5.

VRAM availability is supposed to be handled by an application to gracefully decline rendering where VRAM is in short supply. Unfortunately with D3D12 that can reduce performance and can be a lot of extra work, especially in programs that have been converted from older versions of D3D.

I've just completed a maiden flight in the PMDG737-800 NGXu from Manchester (UK2000) to Amsterdam Schiphol (Fly Tampa). Nothing default there. 😁

Enroute I switched views, toggled full-screen / windowed and went to ChasePlane to tweak my views. Around 40nm from EHAM CPU1 hit 100% and stayed there until after I landed. I reduced Ai but it made no difference so it wasn't traffic-related. I suspect I need to tweak EHAM to turn off some hungry options.

But the flight went fine and I consider that a pretty stern test for lots of 3rd party stuff inside a sim that's only had one point update.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With 2080Ti I found with stock v5 sim F-35A in default flight area I could enable every graphic and increase all sliders and settings to max with no problems. However, I could get problems right away if I increased OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE above 4096 in the .cfg.

29 minutes ago, SteveW said:

With 2080Ti I found with stock v5 sim F-35A in default flight area I could enable every graphic and increase all sliders and settings to max with no problems. However, I could get problems right away if I increased OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE above 4096 in the .cfg.

I thought we were discouraged from editing the cfg file. Is that a setting not available in the P3D interface?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm not suggesting to edit the cfg, my point is that you would not usually get problems with the stock sim and use of only settings available in the Display Settings page in the sim.

...so if you set all settings to full and look in the .cfg you will see that OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048. I was saying that I would need to increase that manually to more than 4096 to get VRAM problems causing errors like device hung. Therefore in conclusion when we install addon scenery or aircraft that have high facet counts above those in the stock sim, we may then get VRAM or other problems.

• Upvote 1

Point taken Steve. My sliders are nowhere near the max setting save for a couple that the GPU is capable of handling.

I suppose if I was flying a default aircraft into and out of default airports I could move them all to the right. But having lots of 3rd party stuff means I have to be sensible.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I tried manually setting other items higher than would be possible with the Display Settings page but found none that would cause any problems. So another conclusion would be that assuming an 11GB GPU the stock sim can't be set to overload the VRAM. When adding in airports or aircraft with extra details then we would need to set sliders and settings down or run into problems. The best thing to do is start with low settings and gradually work up, rather than start with high settings and reduce.

Steve. If you have Pilot’s LEAL have a play with your settings there. It consumes the most VRAM of any airport I have. I’ve seen it over 10Gb which is dangerously close to my 1080Ti’s 11Gb.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Steve. If you have Pilot’s LEAL have a play with your settings there. It consumes the most VRAM of any airport I have. I’ve seen it over 10Gb which is dangerously close to my 1080Ti’s 11Gb.

I haven't got that one Ray, but it shows that some add-ons can take things to the max, and without lowered settings may induce problems from lack of resources.

9 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I haven't got that one Ray, but it shows that some add-ons can take things to the max, and without lowered settings may induce problems from lack of resources.

Add-ons are very much apples and oranges! I'd love if there was a reliable DX12 reporting tool which allowed users to be able to more accurately understand what vRAM resources an add-on required... 😉

• Like 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

All this is one of the reasons i went for a 3090 when getting a new machine. 

Before i was using a 980ti which had only 6gb vram and at complex airports and aircraft in v5 became almost a waste of time. It was also a reason i kept v4.5 installed. I like to run very high ai aircraft levels so another reason to go big in vram.  I've hit 10.5gb at egll (uk2000) and the pmdg 747 max sliders and active sky weather  and fingers crossed its been fine with no issues although im only running 2k and not 4 

I have never tweaked the cfg in v5 or used nvi either so for me it was always the lack of vram that caused me any issues

• Like 1

Pete Little

57 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Steve, whilst thee are only 4 reviews they all give LEAL top marks. Here are the requirements as shown on the SimMarket blurb...

• Prepar3D v4.x & v5.x
  • Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 or later
  • Intel i5 2.8 GHz (Intel i7 highly recommended)
  • 8 GB RAM (12+ GB highly recommended)
  • 4 GB of graphics card memory (8+ GB highly recommended)

The VRAM demands are clear. I'll try a flight down to Malaga this morning in the NGXu and see how things go.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've had two DXGI errors this morning at LEAL. Both occured when accessing the menu. The first was opening the Vehicle menu to see the reg no of my aircraft (for TopCat) and the second was selecting the menu for FSUIPC for calibrating throttles.

It can't be a coincidence. Why is v5 so tetchy accessing menus? Known problem?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've not experienced those errors Ray, but I doubt it's your machine.