Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Nvidia performance article

PROBLEM IDENTIFIED AND FIXED.

After exhausting all other options I decided to close MSI Afterburner / RTSS as I've always had those running so I can monitor VRAM usage and other important aspects of P3Dv5.

Closing both programs has cured the problem. I can switch to other aircraft inside the sim without the DXGI error being generated. But delving deeper if I have both running but turn off the RTSS display before switching vehicles there is no crash.

So for those running Afterburner / RTSS make sure you turn off the screen display in RTSS before changing vehicles. Hopefully a fix can be found either by RTSS developers or LM.

Thanks @simbol for your help. As with many things the solution is very simple.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

After exhausting all other options I decided to close MSI Afterburner / RTSS as I've always had those running so I can monitor VRAM usage and other important aspects of P3Dv5.

Closing both programs has cured the problem. I can switch to other aircraft inside the sim without the DXGI error being generated. But delving deeper if I have both running but turn off the RTSS display before switching vehicles there is no crash.

So for those running Afterburner / RTSS make sure you turn off the screen display in RTSS before changing vehicles. Hopefully a fix can be found either by RTSS developers or LM.

Good call Ray, I'll try that too!

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

My advice with any problems is to eliminate in the first instance as much as half the possibilities. So on a typical FSX/P3D simulator I would turn off any external influences with a system first such as Nvidia profile changes, RTSS type programs, external programs that change any aspect of the simulator, leaving just the simulator. If the problem is cured I would investigate those items. If not cured next I would turn off half the addons and first include the ones I felt might be more suspicious of causing problems.

Say I suspect an addon causing an issue and I have 16 addons. Rather than trying 16 times eliminating one at a time, I can eliminate half (8), then half the remainder (4), then half the remainder (2), then that leaves one item. That is 3 tests to find one item in 16.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

@SteveW, that involves a huge amount of work. I know my v5.1 install is stable. It had to be something simple because so few others were reporting the problem.

So I thought about what I was running that was different. The answer is Afterburner / RTSS. But delving deeper it's just the RTSS display causing it, not those programs running.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SteveW, that involves a huge amount of work. I know my v5.1 install is stable. It had to be something simple because so few others were reporting the problem.

So I thought about what I was running that was different. The answer is Afterburner / RTSS. But delving deeper it's just the RTSS display causing it, not those programs running.

Actually if you re-read me Ray, I was attempting to show how to do the least work Ray. Disabling RTSS and Afterburner in the first instance seems to be next to no work. Never mind, at least you found it and it's good to know that there is a problem with that.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Actually if you re-read me Ray, I was attempting to show how to do the least work Ray. Disabling RTSS and Afterburner in the first instance seems to be next to no work. Never mind, at least you found it and it's good to know that there is a problem with that.

I have a vague recollection of turning off Afterburner when I first had this problem. But it didn't fix it probably because RTSS was perhaps still running or active in some way. So I never persisted with it until today.

Your advice is appreciated and I'm familiar with the binary chop process. Pete D uses it.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have a vague recollection of turning off Afterburner when I first had this problem. But it didn't fix it probably because RTSS was perhaps still running or active in some way. So I never persisted with it until today.

Your advice is appreciated and I'm familiar with the binary chop process. Pete D uses it.

Sorry Ray, i didn't mean to seem perhaps like I felt you might have been wasting time on it. My intention was for the benefit of anyone coming along to these posts. I'm sure you are an expert problem solver. These things do happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@simbol, I ran it with those 3 lines pasted into my cfg but no reports have been generated. I chose Yes when the DXGI_ACCESS_DENIED message appeared. I then tried Cancel to continue but the display remained black.

This is my windows and P3D version as reported by FSUIPC6...

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit reported as Build 19041, Release ID: 2004 (OS 10.0)
Prepar3D.exe version = 5.1.12.26829

Nvidia drivers are 461.72

Baffling why the logs aren't being generated.

I think those three lines are ALTERNATIVE values for the same parameter. ie reporting level 1 2 or 3.  Only the first is probably recognised.

At least this is the way most CFG and INI files work, certainly FSUIPC ones using standard Windows APIs.

Pete

• Like 2

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

4 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I think those three lines are ALTERNATIVE values for the same parameter. ie reporting level 1 2 or 3.  Only the first is probably recognised.

At least this is the way most CFG and INI files work, certainly FSUIPC ones using standard Windows APIs.

Pete

Pete is right, you had to enable only one of those settings.. My intention was to  show you what each setting does.. I didn't make it clear.. sorry Ray!.. being a tough week for me.. and I am having now brain farts lol

In any case, you found the cause.. so time to enjoy your simulator!!!

S.

39 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Pete

I did wonder about that and commented out 1 and 3. But still no log. Strange why not but as the problem is solved it’s of no consequence now.

33 minutes ago, simbol said:

Pete is right, you had to enable only one of those settings.. My intention was to  show you what each setting does.. I didn't make it clear.. sorry Ray!.. being a tough week for me.. and I am having now brain farts lol

In any case, you found the cause.. so time to enjoy your simulator!!!

S.

Don’t worry Simbol. I appreciate the help. I managed to fit in a quick flight in the US and pleased to report all was well.

Apparently LM do read all the posts on their forums so I hope it’s something that can be fixed. I’m bound to forget to turn off RTSS one day being an old git. 😀

I hope you’re got your problem sorted.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I couldda sworn I had already mentioned the problems DX12 on-screen displays were having with P3Dv5.

Ah...I did...but it was in a different forum/thread.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/597550-at-my-wits-end-dxgi_error_device_hung/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-4501624

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

49 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I couldda sworn I had already mentioned the problems DX12 on-screen displays were having with P3Dv5.

Ah...I did...but it was in a different forum/thread.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/597550-at-my-wits-end-dxgi_error_device_hung/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-4501624

Indeed you did a Bob but most errors seemed to relate to running out of VRAM and despite searching for the ACCESS_DENIED one very little came back.

Inflight things were fine and it’s such a bizarre error where you can load a completely different scenario with a change of vehicle, airport and weather and it’s fine. But change the vehicle to an avatar and it causes the error.

That’s why it was difficult to link it to the RTSS display. So innocuous but so deadly.  

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Quick question guys. I've been following this thread and wanted to ask, what would you guys consider the best NVIDIA driver to install for P3D right now? The new drivers 465.89 has played havoc on my system and my sim so I need to reinstall an older driver.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith (CanAmRyder) Sacramento, Ca USA

i7 13700k 3.4ghz MSI MPG Z790 Gaming Carbon Wifi Nvidia RTX 4080 FE 16gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB DDR5 5600MHz Windows 11 Pro (23H2) Prepar3D v5.4.9.28482 / v6.1.11 LG 34" Ultrawide Curved / ASUS 32" Curved

@Grand_Pubah, 461.72 seem fine to me.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That's the one I installed. Thanks

Keith (CanAmRyder) Sacramento, Ca USA

i7 13700k 3.4ghz MSI MPG Z790 Gaming Carbon Wifi Nvidia RTX 4080 FE 16gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB DDR5 5600MHz Windows 11 Pro (23H2) Prepar3D v5.4.9.28482 / v6.1.11 LG 34" Ultrawide Curved / ASUS 32" Curved