Sign in to follow this  
OSM

Children Of The Magenta Line

Edited by OSM

That ol' Magenta made me do it !

5999cab1fed477dcab0bdb02d010cecf.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I am a proud member of the Magenta/Autothrottle/VNAV Club.......but then I am not trying to become a real world pilot :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Nothing wrong with automation and autopilot/navigational assistance so long as you know what to do if it goes awry. Don't even need to be in an aeroplane to learn that one; anyone who has driven anywhere on a sat nav, which has then conked out, can tell you that one.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It was July 2019 before I owned a mobile phone, and I have yet to step into the dark underworld of the sat nav!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

23 hours ago, Chock said:

Nothing wrong with automation and autopilot/navigational assistance so long as you know what to do if it goes awry. Don't even need to be in an aeroplane to learn that one; 

You mean like when the Autothrottle on a 737 Max is set @ 94% N1 with the aircraft out of trim and accelerating past VMO? 

Edited by Garys

16 minutes ago, Garys said:

You mean like when the Autothrottle on a 737 Max is set @ 94% N1 and the aircraft is out of trim?  

Nope, I mean like when the autopilot disengages on an A330 because of an ice-blocked pitot tube after - unlike every other airliner in the area - they've riskily flown straight through a CB which they had on radar, and then the co-pilot freaks out. But instead of simply flying the aeroplane by attitude and throttle setting, or even just closing the throttle and letting it descend naturally into warmer air, which would have unblocked the pitot tube and solved the problem, he pulls the side stick all the way back and holds it there permanently, all whilst the stall warning sounds 84 times as they drop down from 38,000 feet to the surface of the South Atlantic, to crash, killing everyone on board. Top notch professional magenta line piloting skills right there.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

To point the finger at the pilots for one accident and not the other when clearly automation in one way or another was a massive contibuting factor to the outcome is rather hypercritical. As you said nothing wrong with automation and autopilot/navigational assistance so long as you know what to do if it goes awry. I agree with that.

Edited by Garys

8 minutes ago, Garys said:

To point the finger at the pilots for one accident and not the other when clearly automation in one way or another was a massive contibuting factor to the outcome is rather hypercritical.

Which is why I didn't do that. You're the one that mentioned the other accident, not me.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

Which is why I didn't do that. You're the one that mentioned the other accident, not me.

It was a rhetorical question as many here still solely blame Boeing for the accident. 

Edited by Garys
Spelling

There's a grand tradition of blame shifting in aviation accidents, and not just with Boeing; so much so it'd almost be be churlish to break from the convention. 🤣

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

29 minutes ago, Chock said:

There's a grand tradition of blame shifting in aviation accidents, and not just with Boeing; so much so it'd almost be be churlish to break from the convention. 🤣

Yes but unlike hollywood, the FDR and CVR tell the story thankfully. And by thanfully  I mean automation, aircraft parts/systems and pilot training can be improved upon to make these accidents less likey to occur again.

Edited by Garys

Just now, Garys said:

Yes but unlike hollywood, the FDR and CVR tell the story thankfully.

Not when the BEA get hold of it first, they don't 🤣

Alan Bradbury