Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

MSFS Will Not Start - CTD

I have MSFS installed on a laptop and on my desktop computer.  I am able to continue using my laptop fine, but am unable to start MSFS on my desktop.  I had a period of inactivity, so this was last updated with world update 3, then wasn't started again until after the flaps hot fix and sim update 3 were released.  The simulator is fully updated and ran once.  This was run solely to update.  It was shutdown and when I cam back about a week later, it will not start.

I run the sim as an administrator.  I get the early splash screens, checking for updates, and then the splash screen advertising the UK-Ireland update.  The loading bar gets about 3/4 of the way across the bottom and the screen just closes.  If I try to start it again, I get "there is already an instance running of this plug-in" and it crashes at the same place.

I have updated Windows and nVidia drivers.  I can't think of much else to do, as not much is happening to troubleshoot before the crash.  I see it listed commonly to clear the rolling cache, but this seems more for scenery errors and I can't even get in the sim to do this. *EDIT: I have also moved the content of the community folder without improvement*.

Any ideas or help?

Edited by ESzczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

I know it sounds whacked but change your sound settings.

LouP

I have this exact situation - and I've been flying since last August - until last night.

What exactly do you mean by; 

'Changing Your Sound Settings' and why would that do anything to Help/ Hinder Booting in to MSFS 2020.

INFORMED ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE

18 minutes ago, LouP said:

I know it sounds whacked but change your sound settings.

LouP

It doesn’t. The sound skips or something right before the CTD.  Any suggestions what/how to NBC hangs them too?  I just have my speakers selected. 

Eric Szczesniak

Aaah, bloody hellfire - MSFS 2020 is out of reach for me.

Went from working okay yesterday (apart from location specific Frame Tanks) and then - for absolutely no bloody reason at all - went to INOP.

Can't Start it now at all, without it Hanging on the Checking For Updates Screen.

FOR GOD'S SAKE GET YOUR FRIGGING ACT TOGETHER ASOBO!!!!!!!!!.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

What exactly do you mean by; 

'Changing Your Sound Settings' and why would that do anything to Help/ Hinder Booting in to MSFS 2020.

INFORMED ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE

I don't fn know but it saved my a^% lol

LouP

3 minutes ago, LouP said:

Sent you a pm, let me know if it helps.

LouP

No need for a PM - just post the solution right here on the Thread. We're all friends here.

Just change your sound output and let us know if this works, it's a known bug if you search on it.

LouP

Totally irrelevant;

"I have my sound output set to voicemeeter so I can use by buttkicker when using headphones and they got set to output to my speakers somehow.  After that the sim would not start.  When I switched the output back to voicemeeter it started right up.  It's messed up and a bug that this happens.  I read that switching the settings to anything different than where they are while the sim is hanging up fixes the issue.  I don't understand why this works but it did for me.  Just trying to help.

Lou"

NEXT!

20 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Will Fly For Cheese is totally grounded right now - freezing on Checking For Updates Screen.

Please Help!

Sounds like a server issue or one of  the 33 accounts MSFS has to log into before it will OK you to fly....

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have the sound input issue also.  I have to change it then change it back when the main splash screen loads in.

The other issue where the sim doesn't start and CTDs; I've gotten a few times.  It seems like when that happens, I need a couple of reboots and it comes back.  I have no idea why.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

1 minute ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

I have the sound input issue also.  I have to change it then change it back when the main splash screen loads in.

The other issue where the sim doesn't start and CTDs; I've gotten a few times.  It seems like when that happens, I need a couple of reboots and it comes back.  I have no idea why.

Do you shut down and start or use Restart?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

Do you shut down and start or use Restart?

I just restarted.  Haven't had the issue in a while though.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply