Sign in to follow this  
Neutrino Flux

I've been a hater ....

47 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Yep: https://uk.pcmag.com/pc-games/93423/flight-sim-labs-fights-piracy-by-installing-malware. I remember that I freaked out and changed all passwords that I had saved in Chrome and since then, I always get paranoid when I fire their installer lol. Anyway, although I really like their product but that was really concerning and it was also another reason for me to just leave the whole P3D ecosystem to X-Plane and invest there as result (in X-Plane almost add-ones even complex ones don't need an installer, just copy/paste)

Oddly it did not "install" anything on your PC.....but....you know that.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Since your " in the industry" expain how you activated the test.exe on your PC.

regardless how it is being activated, the idea they could activate a malware and they had the the power to do so, it by itself is worrying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

3 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

regardless how it is being activated, the idea they could activate a malware and they had the the power to do so, it by itself is worrying.

No please explain how you did or more to the point the type of person that did activate it. Becuse you and I had 0 chance to do so. Like all the BS out there about it. I installed "that" version 5 times and as you know I never got it. Nore did one person.....thats right not one person got the "malware" that bought the FSL, even if you entered a wrong number you did not get it......you only got it if you enter the pirate number from the site that was giving away the FSL for free!!

8 years work and someone sets up a site showing FSL pictures and giving it away for free...that person took down the site and wiped themselfs off the internet, forums everything. Now like I said link me one person that bough it from FSL that got the "malware".

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

No please explain how you did or more to the point the type of person that did activate it. Becuse you and I had 0 chance to do so.

Did I say that "I activated"? Again, I said the "idea" that they could do so by itself is worrying. What if someone has discovered that loophole and activated that malware regardless which version you have? The security topic is very serious and I can't live with the idea someone has managed to get my github passwords whereby I have access to my company repos won't let me sleep the night.

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

As I discovered the last time this came up, there seems to be an unspoken rule here that FSLabs talk will be deleted.  I'm going to avoid talking about my opinions on the events themselves, but I'll note that I sent an email asking directly why a comment of mine and followups got deleted a few days ago, and the thread they were in locked without any explanation, and was told that the policy at Avsim is that FSLabs discussion is unwelcome because it causes too much discord.  But it seems that, for some reason, rather than simply locking threads that get out of control, as is done with other topics, they instead prefer to memory-hole the entire incident because it is "old news" and causes too much trouble.

This comment will probably be removed, as will the other ones talking about these events.  But maybe it'll alert a few folks to the fact that, unlike other controversial topics, this one apparently can't even be mentioned here.   Make of that what you will.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

You clearly dont know about it, if you enterd the pirate number it activated it if you enter a real number it self deleted. No loophole no nothing it deleted itself.

Also I will inlighten you.

Someone I know a big name in the flightsim world PM me about this. He installed onto a laptop P3D and the FSL so he could activate the test.exe. To really see what it was all about,The result was he got a list of all his user names for internet sites, but not one password. None....just user names nothing else.yarn....Remeber who all the BS info came from...the very people who stole it. Or people with an axe to grind or people like the news who want click bate.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

The Hash symbol traces its origins to Roman times and the symbol Libra Pondo which translates as; a Pound Weight.

Pfund-svg.png

So now everybody's right which is nice and how it should be. 🙂

Enlightening ...

Edited by Neutrino Flux
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Well we are getting of topic.

Now...be very carefull how you reply.

This question leads nowhere. No sane person would run such exe file without checking for Malware. But coming from a reliable and well-known company like FSLabs it is easily possible that a somewhat naive person would double click on it before it gets deleted after registering, thinking that it might test the installation or whatever. Point is: such a file has nothing to do in a software package. It is malware. This is not defendable.

Edited by crimplene

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Well we are getting of topic.

Now...be very carefull how you reply.

That was me. Not in a FS related industry. In the computer industry. Providing HW and custom SW to retail customers with large enterprises.

I didn't activate it. I never bought or installed the software. No need to be careful. There was no justification for putting test.exe or any SW designed to gather and transmit passwords on any customer's machine. Maybe one or two people did FSL wrong, but they wronged their entire customer base by putting that file on their computer, activated or not. Simply being present on the system is and always has been the problem. The product description certainly didn't say that it would be installed with the product. I'd venture to say that if there were a checkbox during installation telling the customers what it was and what it was capable of doing, 99.999% of them would have unticked the option to install it. Say for example that a hacker figures out that anyone with FLS software installed has test.exe as well and has found a way to redirect the output to them so that they could activate it and steal passwords? The mechanism was installed and that is the problem. Not ethical. 

And it's not off topic. I'll be using the FBW a320 because I trust them.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I am guessing that it must be a day off for the moderators, otherwise this thread would have been shut down faster than an all night party at my local pub.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Of course. The # symbol stands for pounds in the U.S. Let this be an educational experience for him.

13 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Windows 10 is the most stable home Windows OS I have ever used

Don't get me wrong. Win10 is overall good. I like it, and I don't have any machines still running 7. But "Microsoft pushed a mandatory update and now P3d crashes all the time" is a real thing, and it's irritating. I have limited time to spend simming, and I really don't want to spend that time poking around trying to figure out what broke the sim.

Beyond that, updates tend to undo settings that you've chosen, like USB power management, or even default audio device. It's obnoxious to have to go through your system and put things back where they belong after an update, and that did not happen under Windows 7 - at least, not with the frequency it does with 10.

29 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

That was me. Not in a FS related industry. In the computer industry. Providing HW and custom SW to retail customers with large enterprises.

I didn't activate it. I never bought or installed the software. No need to be careful. There was no justification for putting test.exe or any SW designed to gather and transmit passwords on any customer's machine. Maybe one or two people did FSL wrong, but they wronged their entire customer base by putting that file on their computer, activated or not. Simply being present on the system is and always has been the problem. The product description certainly didn't say that it would be installed with the product. I'd venture to say that if there were a checkbox during installation telling the customers what it was and what it was capable of doing, 99.999% of them would have unticked the option to install it. Say for example that a hacker figures out that anyone with FLS software installed has test.exe as well and has found a way to redirect the output to them so that they could activate it and steal passwords? The mechanism was installed and that is the problem. Not ethical. 

And it's not off topic. I'll be using the FBW a320 because I trust them.

For someone in the industry, I will PM you.

• Like 1

And Mr. Nyxx has still not provided a shred of evidence for his claim that the FbW guys will never reach "FSL level" (whatever that means).