Sign in to follow this  
Neutrino Flux

I've been a hater ....

That's what I meant, the WT group was never just a "bunch of hobbyists", neither are the FbW guys, hence, there is really no telling how far this can go. At any rate, it's clear that flight simming has masively leaped forward since MSFS 2020, and the mod community has had an outsize part in this. 

And, while we're at it, let's not forget the other folks dilligently pushing this sim forward: the guy who is working on the Citation Longitude, the mods for the TBM 930, Robert Young, etc. etc. I've never seen this kind of enthusiasm before. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

the icing on the cake is that there's also 20+ years of pilot experience on the team.

Please let ASOBO profit a lot of that. 🙂 (add inertia)

Regarding the FBW. As soon as they finally add a T/D I will trust them.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

5 hours ago, eslader said:

Don't get me wrong. Win10 is overall good. I like it, and I don't have any machines still running 7. But "Microsoft pushed a mandatory update and now P3d crashes all the time" is a real thing, and it's irritating. I have limited time to spend simming, and I really don't want to spend that time poking around trying to figure out what broke the sim.

Beyond that, updates tend to undo settings that you've chosen, like USB power management, or even default audio device. It's obnoxious to have to go through your system and put things back where they belong after an update, and that did not happen under Windows 7 - at least, not with the frequency it does with 10.

You know you can disable Windows 10 updates permanently: https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/how-to-stop-win10-update.html.  

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

5 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

You know you can disable Windows 10 updates permanently: https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/how-to-stop-win10-update.html.  

This is a very good way to make yourself vulnerable to cyber attacks for no reason. I strongly advise no one does this.

Simming uninterrupted is not worth someone trolling your computer for data without your awareness. Think about where your priorities are.

Edited by amahran
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Regarding the FBW. As soon as they finally add a T/D I will trust them.

Oh dear.

You need the aircraft to tell you that - and not just ballpark your own calculation?

Here we are;

Don't watch it late at night - it'll give you nightmares;

34 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

You need the aircraft to tell you that - and not just ballpark your own calculation?

It'd be nice to have such a basic feature if you talk about FSLabs level of detail. 🙂

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

And, while we're at it, let's not forget the other folks dilligently pushing this sim forward: the guy who is working on the Citation Longitude, the mods for the TBM 930, Robert Young, etc. etc. I've never seen this kind of enthusiasm before.

We have had enthusiasm before. Off the top of my head, Project OpenSky (POSKY), Project Airbus, Vista Australis (VOZ) before it became Orbx, Dino Cattaneo before his work became IndiaFoxtEcho. All great for their time.
As you can probably see from those examples, those that progressed their products further, turned them into payware. Others gave up, got bored, or life got in the way during the 'lean period' following MS' shut down of ACES.

What is great this time around is that tech has improved significantly. And that has brought in so many new and talented individuals to give us all fantastic possibilities of where the sim could end up.

53 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Oh dear.

Here we are;

Don't watch it late at night - it'll give you nightmares;

We don't need sim elitism, thank you.
Everyone has their own level of competence and own level of interest in learning the details...or not.

If someone wants to fly entirely on automatics, use an Xbox controller or bimble about without any regard for aviation rules, don't shame them.

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, MattNischan said:

A very exciting one, indeed, but not one where hobbyist coders leapt off the page into a dream job.

Yeah, to be clear, I didn't intend to imply that you guys were rank amateurs. 😉 Merely that volunteer projects that don't charge money generally aren't as flush with cash and r&d resources as for-profit companies that charge a lot of money.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, F737NG said:

We don't need sim elitism, thank you.
Everyone has their own level of competence and own level of interest in learning the details...or not.

If someone wants to fly entirely on automatics, use an Xbox controller or bimble about without any regard for aviation rules, don't shame them.

You're right and I apologise if that's how I came across. I just think that film is a fantastic insight in to Automatics and should be of interest to all airliner pilots here regardless of level of competence.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Slightly off topic, but this is an excellent article of some of the pitfalls of automation.

Interesting how predictive that article is of the 737 Max issue, right down to a bad sensor precipitating the bad piloting problem.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I just think that film is a fantastic insight in to Automatics and should be of interest to all airliner pilots here regardless of level of competence.

I've long been a fan of the AA training series of videos and hugely admire Capt. Warren Vanderburgh's delivery of the content.
I agree it's a fantastic insight into use of the automatics.

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Slightly off topic, but this is an excellent article of some of the pitfalls of automation. A classic article by William Langewiesche:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

Rather good article for non-aviation readers. 

Both the video and the article are good predictors of situations where recent accidents have occurred.

Getting back on topic. 
I'm not a hater of MSFS. I greatly admire the scope of the project and like what the freeware teams have given us as aeroplanes.
However, Asobo has got to fix how aircraft interact with the ground and with crosswind.

https://youtu.be/MPyHz3KP1uk?t=500

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

Getting back on topic. 
I'm not a hater of MSFS. I greatly admire the scope of the project and like what the freeware teams have given us as aeroplanes.
However, Asobo has got to fix how aircraft interact with the ground and with crosswind.

https://youtu.be/MPyHz3KP1uk?t=500

Plenty of stuff they still need to fix, and they generally seem to agree stuff needs fixing, rather than hide it.

That said, every flight I do in FS makes it harder to go back to p3d!!..

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

2 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

Plenty of stuff they still need to fix, and they generally seem to agree stuff needs fixing, rather than hide it.

That said, every flight I do in FS makes it harder to go back to p3d!!..

G

I am with you . Flew P3D for years and loved it, but once you fly MSFS 2020, P3D looks like something out of the 90's. Won't ever go back to it now. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 3/20/2021 at 5:20 PM, environmental_ice said:

im going back. game isnt playable. they broke it with this last update and my computer temperatures are out of control when I launch MSFS

I have to update my statement here. this hotfix has brought me back. i have played MSFS everyday since and really been enjoying it along with the FBW experimental build A32NX

• Like 1