Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

500 foot jumps in Altimeter setting

I have been flying in the Pennsylvania -Ohio area today and about every 15 minutes I get a change in Altimeter settings of around 500 feet. Anyone else seeing this? 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Had it happen to me last night.  I use ForeFlight connected to MSFS and it would typically show about a 500ft difference in Altitude than what my plane was showing (29.92 alt). It would change the altimeter like it was “catching up”. For what it’s worth, it was in the Aerosoft CRJ. 

Fort Lauderdale Executive (FXE) - PPL ASEL

i9 12900k @ 5.2 - 32 GB DDR5 @ 6000 - 3080TI - W11

I was flying around NY today and got the same thing.  Seems like the barometer was going up and down quite dramatically (the real weather is pretty quiet). 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

It’s one of the annoying quirks of the MSFS weather system. As you pass between “weather model cells” there are large jumps in barometric pressure with no smoothing. Been that way since launch. Keep that “B” key mapped and handy 😉

• Like 2

Chris

OK, thanks, that is what I suspected. First time for me that it was that noticeable, ATC kept yelling at me to go to assigned altitude. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It has been bad on my last 2 flights.  I never had much of an issue with it but now I am getting abrupt 500' changes in both directions on a flight from KIAD to KORD....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

1 minute ago, Flic1 said:

It has been bad on my last 2 flights.  I never had much of an issue with it but now I am getting abrupt 500' changes in both directions on a flight from KIAD to KORD....

Yes, and it is always exactly 500 feet. That's nuts. 

Yep had the same happening to me today. Even through off the cj4 on the ils and cause me to be too high on the GS.  Thought it was something I was doing wrong.  

To add, did a quick flight to st louis and checked meteoblue for the weather and it showed clear skies, even in the world map, live weather showed clear skies. Got into the flight, and it was raining and storm clouds the entire flight. 

Edited by tgsweat
  • Like 1

Had the same issues with the CJ4 today. Flying in FL370 and the airplane climbs or descends every few minutes. Quite annoying and unrealistic.

I guess we have to file another bug report...

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

9 minutes ago, Tim-HH said:

I guess we have to file another bug report...

I think we don't

It's a known issue that was talked about in the last Q&A, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Farlis

Yes the last 2 days its been like that with online AI traffic also spotty at times with planes appearing then disappearing. Winds also off reported conditions.ATC always having you takeoff with a tailwind for some reason

System Intel core I9-10900.Asus prime Z490P motherboard, Corsair 32gb ddr4 dram, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD and 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Zotac GE force RTX 2080 Super  750 Watt power supply, Windows 10 Pro, Honeycomb yoke and Bravo,Thrustmaster pedals

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

It's a known issue that was talked about in the last Q&A, if I recall correctly.

What was the outcome? 

I saw the same thing today flying DCA-PWM in the CRJ...then ATC had the gall to tell me I was 400 feet above my assigned altitude lol

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

9 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

What was the outcome? 

If I recall correctly they said it has been fixed and will be part of the next sim update.

• Like 1