Sign in to follow this  
FredricG

At my wits' end: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@FredricG, limit the fps certainly but do it the right way. By only sending info to the monitor at the rate it can accept it that limits it naturally. No point sending 60 changes a second if the monitor can only accept 30. Does your monitor have a 30Hz option?

Just lower terrain resolution and see what it looks like. Search for RTSS and MSI Afterburner and install them as RTSS can monitor and display useful info like GPU load / usage plus CPU1 load which is critical to smooth performance.

Bear in mind whilst P3D might still be based in the original ESP engine the graphics have improved enormously going from DX9 to DX12.

Yes. My TV has 3 available refresh settings, 60hz, 50hz, and 30hz. I'll download RivaTuner and see how it performs over a flight, as well as keeping my sim FPS limit at 30 as well as putting the TV's refresh rate at 30 as well. I'll get back to you with results. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, FredricG said:

Yes. My TV has 3 available refresh settings, 60hz, 50hz, and 30hz. I'll download RivaTuner and see how it performs over a flight, as well as keeping my sim FPS limit at 30 as well as putting the TV's refresh rate at 30 as well. I'll get back to you with results. Thanks!

When you use the P3D limiter it limits the rate frames are sent to the device, but it then goes on to generate extra (and unused) frames to place in the lookahead buffer. 

You should set 30 Hz as the hardware refresh rate in nVidia Control Panel (Display -> Change Resolution), and set unlimited in the P3D settings with VSync on.  This has the effect of using the VSync mechanism to limit your frame rate to the hardware refresh rate without loading up the GPU with useless workload generating lookahead frames that are never used.  That's how I've been running for some time now, and it has worked well with the 1080Ti, 2080Ti, and 3090.

Also, if you use RTSS or another utility, I strongly recommend NOT using any sort of on-screen overlay that places GPU info over the P3D display--DX12 does not play nicely with these overlays...I've had trouble with pretty much all of the most-commonly used utilities (MSI Afterburner/RTSS, EVGA Precision etc).

Last, make sure you are not running an add-on that uses an older version of Trueglass (e.g. TFDi 717, Leonardo Maddog, QualityWings 787, Milviz Kingair) as those older versions installed with those add-ons caused DXGI errors no matter how your system was set up.  The most recent beta versions of Trueglass (and possibly Reallight as well) seem to have fixed those issues.

Another thing that might help, especially with slower, older GPUs is to relax the timeout settings in the WIndows WDDM driver.  There are some settings normally used for testing that can widen the thresholds for triggering a DXGI fault.  I use TdrDdiDelay 20 (default is 5) and TdrDelay 10 (default is 2).  See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys  The usual cautions about being sure you know what you're doing when making registry edits apply here.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You need to set Prefer Maximum Performance for your card in NCP. Absolutely essential to prevent DXGI errors.

I was told the complete opposite, by a p3d developer. DX12 does not need it. And I could say it works. I had the settings set on prefer max performance, and experienced dxgi error. After removing it, no error for weeks now. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

10 hours ago, Johnny19 said:

I also wonder will we experience the same thing when MSFS goes DX12.

I'd bet on it..

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

27 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

I was told the complete opposite, by a p3d developer. DX12 does not need it. And I could say it works. I had the settings set on prefer max performance, and experienced dxgi error. After removing it, no error for weeks now. 

Maybe it’s graphics card dependent. It instantly cured the error for me with that option set. But you also have a 1080Ti. Try swapping vehicles inside P3D. Even two default ones causes the error only cured by setting Max Perf.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

45 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Also, if you use RTSS or another utility, I strongly recommend NOT using any sort of on-screen overlay that places GPU info over the P3D display--DX12 does not play nicely with these overlays...

Really? I’ve only had a few flights but no problem with the RTSS display showing so far.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This error drove me absolutely nuts for about 4 months!! I Tried every possible fix, googled every possible cause and fix, including editing the registry and so on, and on!! Finally, it was my 2070 video card was failing. It was tested by an expert that is Microsoft certified. In the end, I replaced that, and my processor to the SAME brand, instead of mixing components. That fixed everything, and I haven't had any errors or crashes or any problems at all!!

Just my experience. So maybe test you video card first?

Thanks.

Mike

Oh, and I average 78 to 90 FPS!!!  

Edited by simaddict
forgot something

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

Last, make sure you are not running an add-on that uses an older version of Trueglass (e.g. TFDi 717, Leonardo Maddog, QualityWings 787, Milviz Kingair) as those older versions installed with those add-ons caused DXGI errors no matter how your system was set up.  The most recent beta versions of Trueglass (and possibly Reallight as well) seem to have fixed those issues.

I do have the Leonardo Maddog and the QW 787, both at their latest versions. Did the latest versions of those addons include the most recent beta Trueglass installers?

You might find an expert’s opinion in this topic

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

1 hour ago, FredricG said:

I do have the Leonardo Maddog and the QW 787, both at their latest versions. Did the latest versions of those addons include the most recent beta Trueglass installers?

Depends on when you installed them.  IIRC, the add-ons that use it run a web-based installer that gets the latest Trueglass off the TFDI servers at that moment.  So uninstalling and re-installing one of the add-ons should get the latest version installed, or you can try getting the standalone installer from ORBX direct if you've got some of their stuff.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

The only other thing i can think of is that you did not show your ai traffic settings page.

It depends also where the slider for that is set. I believe LM put more of that onto the gpu in v5 and that will effect the amount of memory the gpu uses.

When i was using my old gpu i also used a program called ai companion from the aig website which is free and would run it when i used p3dv5 and i could reduce the amount of traffic to within a few miles of my current spot which helped massively,but add a complex addon aircraft aircraft then your gpu  memory will be hitting the max.

Shift z twice i think it is, brings up the fps and the gpu usage in v5 i think which may also give a clue  as to how close your getting to gpu limit

Pete Little

Have you already deleted your DirectX cache?  I read, and tried, that a another user in the FSLabs forum had the same problem. He solved it by deleting that cache. 

I tried it, so far I’ve had not one single DXGI HUNG error. So there might be something there. 

Edited by Alcides Segovia

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

On 3/23/2021 at 8:07 AM, Alcides Segovia said:

Have you already deleted your DirectX cache?  I read, and tried, that a another user in the FSLabs forum had the same problem. He solved it by deleting that cache. 

I tried it, so far I’ve had not one single DXGI HUNG error. So there might be something there. 

How do you do this?

Eric 

On 3/28/2021 at 7:57 PM, B777ER said:

How do you do this?

At "START, Settings, System, Storage, Free up space now", do not delete your Downloads, unless you've got them backed up. It is a permanent delete...

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight