Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Help please, new Reberb G2 headset won't light up.

Tonight I unboxed brand new Reverb G2 bought directly from HP on ebay.

It does not light up nor display anything at all, dead dark black screen.

I do not have a USB 3c connector so I did not plug any USB connection into my computer. (There was no adapter in the G2 package to adapt a USB c cable plug to normal size USB 3 socket,  which of course my computer has lots of those sockets available).

I did plug in the display port into computer and into the headset, and I did plug in the AC mains adapter into the little G2 cord breakout box.

My question is: Does a HP Reverb G2 light up and display something if the USB is not plugged into computer (but the display port and mains power supply is plugged in)??

If you have a G2 try unplugging the USB, does the headset display turn off?

I have to return this item quickly if it is faulty.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I'm sorry Fielder but without a USB connection the headset won't work. Strange, because the package should contain a USB A adapter.

• Upvote 1

@Gerwil is correct, I suggest taking a second look for the USB-C to -A adapter. IIRC it's packed separately in a small plastic bag.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Thanks everyone. I double checked and the USB c to a adapter is not in the box.

Will someone please check if the headset display will light up or display anything at all if the USB plug is is disconnected from the computer but the display port remains plugged in? Thank you.

This will tell me if I need to immediately send the whole thing back to HP or instead order a generic USB c to USB a adapter and try that. In other words I don't know if the headset will work if I had the right adapter. If so then I should keep it. If not it needs to go back to HP.

HP is not answering any of my inquiries to them.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Hi

I removed the usb connector from the PC, the headset stopped ( no light).

I  had the usb type C connected to the M/B or the Graphic card and display Port connected to the graphic card.

Hope you sort it out.

Thank you CZPILOT, that's what I wanted to know. Therefore probably my headset is not faulty, just not complete. I have 30 days to return it according to HP sales page on eBay where I purchased it.

I have an generic c to a adopter from Amazon speed delivery coming in mail.

HP customer service has not been very good so far. The S/N is too tiny to read with 3 pairs of reading glasses on at the same time (and I can read books without any glasses). Had to take a snapshot of the s/n tag and enlarge it.

This is not a rant, but a public service announcement.

I would say to buy an HP Reverb G2 only from a retailer that will take it back (luckily I did).

The HP website will not display service phone numbers nor take any warranty requests without first providing a serial number. The website will not recognize the number which I read that comes after S/N # on the label on my headset. For me, that SN is not readable under 10x magnification, it takes a 15 or 20 x high quality lupe to read like for instance a Busch and Lome Hastings triplet lens.  And I don't need reading glasses to read a book.

The only usable warranty that applies to me will be the retailers return policy. The one year guarantee from HP is worthless as far as I can tell  because it is impossible for me to contact them by any method.

There are AMD MB s that are not compliant to the USB requirements of the G2

Guess some have bought PCIe USB 3 cards

Edited by peppy197

Ok thanks guys, that was helpful, much obliged.

4 hours ago, peppy197 said:

There are AMD MB s that are not compliant to the USB requirements of the G2

Guess some have bought PCIe USB 3 cards

Yes I had to buy a powered USB hub to make the G2 work. Now at least I don't need to unplug things anymore but can simply push buttons to switch things on/off 🙂