Sign in to follow this  
robertd2000

FSX Frame Rate

Hello,

I have FSX Acceleration Box version on my windows 10 desktop. I like to think that I have a decent gaming setup, but for some reason are only getting about 13 to 20 fps. My specs are:

Windows 10

Gigabyte Aorus Z490

Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.7GHz

128GB RAM

NVidia RTX 3080

2TB SSD (that the sim is installed on)

2TB HDD.

My monitor is a 32 inch Samsung TV.

The addons I am running are GEX North America at max settings, UTX USA at max settings, Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321, and PMDG 737 NGX.

On 3/22/2021 at 1:20 AM, robertd2000 said:

I like to think that I have a decent gaming setup, but for some reason are only getting about 13 to 20 fps

Hi and welcome to Avsim!

That seems a little slow as you have a slightly more powerful system than mine and far fewer addons. Although I don’t routinely measure FPS as long as things seem to be running smoothly, when I do, I generally get FPS levels in the high 20s (with a 30FPS limit). You also have a pretty powerful graphics card but unfortunately FSX, as I understand, is more dependant on the CPU power than the GPU (I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong in this assumption!) so your GPU, powerful as it is, may not be contributing as much as it could.

I don’t use the GEX products but I understand that they contain a lot of autogen so if you are running GEX North America at max settings then perhaps that is slowing things down. Likewise factors like the very high resolution road textures in UTX could also be contributing to the problem. I would start by turning down all the settings on both of those addons to see if that improves things and, if it does, then play around with the settings gradually increasing them until to see how far you can take them without problems. 

Bill

Edited by scianoir

Something is definitely a miss here, you should be getting a pretty stable locked 30fps with that set up, what resolution are you using?  Like Bill said your GFX card won't get much of a workout when it come to FSX, my fans don't even spin on mine when flying. While FSX loves clockspeed primarily on a single core your processor should be more than enough to handle it. How did it run before installing your add ons and what do you have your graphics sliders set at within the sim?

Daz

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

1 hour ago, Dazkent said:

what resolution are you using?

How is your Antialiasing set? Maybe you're going too far.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

6 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

How is your Antialiasing set? Maybe you're going too far.

On a 3080??

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:20 PM, robertd2000 said:

but for some reason are only getting about 13 to 20 fps. My specs are:

Another frame eater is AI aircraft. Also, having shadows on tends to cause FPS drops.

Ernest Pergrem

Im running FSXSE on a less powerful system in DX9 mode.

Full sliders right except Road Traffic (sweetspot is 9% anything higher really starts to eat performance)

Edited CFG for 6.5 Terrain LOD

Accufeel

SODE

FSDT GSX

REX4

REX SkyFroce 3D Clouds

All ORBX OpenLCs

ORBX FTX

ORBX HD Buildings

ORBX Vector

HD Trees

FSX Shade

Several payware sceneries and aircraft.

I get a solid stable 30 FPS locked in VR.

I get a solid 90 FPS locked in 2D @1440P

Steam Edition is the way to go as Dovetail made necessary tweaks and optimizations to get the most out of modern hardware for  the 32bit hard capped 4GB VAS limitation.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2