Sign in to follow this  
BostonJeremy77

What's the future?

I am fairly new to P3D - bought it in January with a ton of Orbx scenery and aircraft - about $2000 worth. It's been enjoyable. I really miss A2A in MSFS. QualityWings, PMDG, FSLabs... All those are stellar. But, truth be told, MSFS is just a lot easier on the eyes and with the CRJ out as well as a PMDG announcement that 2021 may see the 737 in MSFS, I am THIS close to uninstalling it mostly due to silence from LM. I find it harmful for consumer's faith in the product - let's face it, a lot of developers are hopping off P3D and will continue to drift towards MSFS, which is lovely. And LM really needs to do something drastic if they are interested in keeping this platform alive. But no insight at all into their plans doesn't really help. This is where Asobo shines - their communication about the development pipeline is a great idea. I get that LM has a different philosophy, but I keep hearing from others who have uninstalled P3D and I am just desperately looking for reasons to hang on - because the good aircraft WILL come to MSFS soon, and some already has with Just Flight's Arrow, etc. 

This is NOT meant to be a P3D vs MSFS war topic, I am not interested in that silly war. I find that both sims are equally enjoyable, but P3D is slipping due to its visuals. It's about VIABILITY as a product and a complete silence from the developers. I don't even know if 5.2 is coming. It's been since November since the latest version and no news since. I keep checking Prepar3D website every day hoping to get a glimpse of announcement of a new version, but my hope is fading. Why keep hanging on? It's frustrating - I really want to see both sims continue to succeed, but LM's strategy is puzzling. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Garlic Bread is the future. I thought everyone knew that. 🤣

• Like 10

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

P3D development hasn't stopped.. what the future will hold? nobody can know the future, you can only predict it.. if LM continues development following the advise from many 3rd party developers and other key beta testers the future could be very bright indeed.

S.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

there really are TONS of threads just like this for your search and perusal.  Most of us who atleast for the moment are sticking with p3d do it for the aircraft realism.  Also things like compatibility with home cockpit hardware.  Lockheed has never been about razzle dazzle marketing and tease preview events.  If that's what you are waiting for you've got the wrong sim.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 minutes ago, micstatic said:

there really are TONS of threads just like this for your search and perusal.  Most of us who atleast for the moment are sticking with p3d do it for the aircraft realism.  Also things like compatibility with home cockpit hardware.  Lockheed has never been about razzle dazzle marketing and tease preview events.  If that's what you are waiting for you've got the wrong sim.  

But that's rather the point, though, isn't it? Aircraft realism is coming. There are already 5 quality aircraft (CRJ, JF's Arrow, and Milviz T-45, SimSkunkWorks G-91, FlyingIron Spitfire) (and several SOMEWHAT quality if you count Carenado)... And more are well on the way. At some point, the quality aircraft on MSFS will become more and more available. As more and more users and developers walk away from the platform as seeming to be the case right now, P3D will simply grow smaller and more niche. What's LM doing to NOT have that happen? What is currently generating the excitement around that platform? I realize that strategy "reversal" would be a drastic and unlikely move from LM, but at some point something has to give. Are you saying it's unlikely anyone at LM is currently concerned and scratching their head as to "what do we do now"? If they aren't, they might be a little short-sighted. 

As I said, it's not about sim wars in the "P3D is better, MSFS is better because of A,B,C", but rather... there is genuine energy and excitement behind MSFS. Is there such around P3D's development. And if not, how come?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

there is genuine energy and excitement behind MSFS. Is there such around P3D's development. And if not, how come?

Because one is supported by a $1.8 trillion tech company with direct access to all the tools it needs for gaming, targetting individual gamers/home consumers.

The other is a $0.99 trillion "security and aerospace company" with large commercial and military contracts.

Two very different prime customer needs and the products reflect this.

"What's the future?" Here's the best answer we're going to get until the next version releases.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Exactly as F737NG said. 
lockheed isn’t chasing the entertainment market. Not ideal for us. To throw this back at the original poster. Why would you drop over 2k in last two months of you have the feelings you do about the future of flight simulation?  It was as clear then as it is today. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

The last two posters beat me to it. We gamers/simmers are not LM's targeted audience and we all need to understand that. Period. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

There's really no sense asking this question, as nobody can tell the future, and threads like this are destined to sink into a visuals vs. substance war. I'll just say this: Everyone is saying good planes will come to MSFS, and I don't doubt that. But by that time, better visuals will come to P3D, I don't doubt that either.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

I am fairly new to P3D - bought it in January with a ton of Orbx scenery and aircraft - about $2000 worth. It's been enjoyable. I really miss A2A in MSFS. QualityWings, PMDG, FSLabs... All those are stellar. But, truth be told, MSFS is just a lot easier on the eyes and with the CRJ out as well as a PMDG announcement that 2021 may see the 737 in MSFS, I am THIS close to uninstalling it mostly due to silence from LM. I find it harmful for consumer's faith in the product - let's face it, a lot of developers are hopping off P3D and will continue to drift towards MSFS, which is lovely. And LM really needs to do something drastic if they are interested in keeping this platform alive. But no insight at all into their plans doesn't really help. This is where Asobo shines - their communication about the development pipeline is a great idea. I get that LM has a different philosophy, but I keep hearing from others who have uninstalled P3D and I am just desperately looking for reasons to hang on - because the good aircraft WILL come to MSFS soon, and some already has with Just Flight's Arrow, etc. 

This is NOT meant to be a P3D vs MSFS war topic, I am not interested in that silly war. I find that both sims are equally enjoyable, but P3D is slipping due to its visuals. It's about VIABILITY as a product and a complete silence from the developers. I don't even know if 5.2 is coming. It's been since November since the latest version and no news since. I keep checking Prepar3D website every day hoping to get a glimpse of announcement of a new version, but my hope is fading. Why keep hanging on? It's frustrating - I really want to see both sims continue to succeed, but LM's strategy is puzzling. 

I understand your point regarding the silence of LM, especially compared with the open communication of ASOBO 

But you are comparing two totally different companies here.

ASOBO is a game developer 

LM is a military contractor with government relationships and huge responsibilities.

When it comes to communication there can't be a bigger difference as between those both mentioned. 

LM = Niche, Secret, secured and confidential stuff

ASOBO = open book, huge market do what a normal Customer requires (high level spoken)

This is nothing secret and everyone who buys P3D from LM should be aware that they would probably never act like ASOBO. 

But.....I do hope also LM will still hear you, others and everyone who loves their product. So let's have some faith and wait to see what may come, or may not come.

Marcus

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

54 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Exactly as F737NG said. 
lockheed isn’t chasing the entertainment market. Not ideal for us. To throw this back at the original poster. Why would you drop over 2k in last two months of you have the feelings you do about the future of flight simulation?  It was as clear then as it is today. 

Simply because I didn't want to wait for that aircraft to come to MSFS, I wanted to enjoy it now. Instead of complaining about MSFS and how slow the developers are to come to MSFS like a bunch of people did at the time, I simply got P3D and got my wishes. However, since the Arrow and CRJ came out, I find that my need for something a little more realistic has been somewhat satisfied, so I fly MSFS a bunch now too. But there is no comparison, I mean... All I need to do is jump into the A2A Constellation or PMDG 737/747, or FSLabs A3XX series and there is NOTHING like that in MSFS RIGHT NOW. Not for the bigger jets/cool historical aircraft. I also bought CRJ for P3D and have now uninstalled it since there is no sense flying it in P3D now that I can do it in MSFS. Same thing is gonna happen when those other things come over. 

But yeah, I suppose the context of LM's clientele makes sense. If they aren't interested in the home simmer market, it would make sense that they don't care about competition with MSFS. All good. 😉

2 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I understand your point regarding the silence of LM, especially compared with the open communication of ASOBO 

But you are comparing two totally different companies here.

ASOBO is a game developer 

LM is a military contractor with government relationships and huge responsibilities.

When it comes to communication there can't be a bigger difference as between those both mentioned. 

LM = Niche, Secret, secured and confidential stuff

ASOBO = open book, huge market do what a normal Customer requires (high level spoken)

This is nothing secret and everyone who buys P3D from LM should be aware that they would probably never act like ASOBO. 

But.....I do hope also LM will still hear you, others and everyone who loves their product. So let's have some faith and wait to see what may come, or may not come.

Marcus

Marcus, thank you for understanding my point. What you said does make sense. I will just have to make peace with LM and P3D being the way it is. As of now, I am still keeping it on my system. When not comparing graphics, it IS a great product and right now there are SO many things about it I enjoy that just aren't possible with MSFS at the moment, such as the ability to have GTN 750 on my GA aircraft. 

• Upvote 1

I want a very noticeable step forward in TrueSky regarding many issues and enhancements.

And for a major release I want much improved landclass scenery and buildings etc.

Performance is already great. 

Marcus

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 minute ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Marcus, thank you for understanding my point. What you said does make sense. I will just have to make peace with LM and P3D being the way it is. As of now, I am still keeping it on my system. When not comparing graphics, it IS a great product and right now there are SO many things about it I enjoy that just aren't possible with MSFS at the moment, such as the ability to have GTN 750 on my GA aircraft. 

I'd find your opening post very well written. Good word choice and we'll expressed what you are bothered about and what you like. Something not everyone is capable of. 

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 minute ago, mpo910 said:

I want a very noticeable step forward in TrueSky regarding many issues and enhancements.

And for a major release I want much improved landclass scenery and buildings etc.

Performance is already great. 

Marcus

I find TrueSky to be good, as long as you aren't flying at night. Then I get some weird yellow-like reflections on the horizon, etc... Also, precipitation is a mixed bag with it on right now. So, on my current settings, I have EA disabled. 

For a major release, I'd love for them to dump some of the old FSX models and textures, mainly stuff like fuel pumps etc... Those look GNARLY. I know Rex has Global Airports product for P3D, but it's not compatible with 5.1 at the moment. I don't know if there is anything else out there that improves default airport models/textures - I am definitely NOT interested in payware airports for P3D as I feel that would be dumping more money into an environment that will never compare with MSFS and if you start buying a bunch of airports, well... that's WAY more than the 2K or so I already spent on this platform. Buildings? I do have Orbx buildings, and they are... ok, I guess. Passable.