Sign in to follow this  
BostonJeremy77

What's the future?

48 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

How long is unknown of course. They have to get the basic sim stabilised first and that still seems like some way away.

The less expensive simpler Concordes aren’t a patch on the FS Labs one and their developers would be the first to accept that. There will be people who are perfectly happy to buy the simpler version because the real thing can be daunting to the uninitiated.

You don’t need any more twin-engine sub-sonic aircraft that toddle along at Mach 0.83 or thereabouts. Vr for Concorde on the EGLL-KJFK run was 194kts and by the time the wheels left the ground it was doing 220kts with full reheat.

Nothing can compare to that except military jets but they lack the range and beauty of Concorde. Forget VNAV and LNAV. It’s a whole new world of flying and you’ll love it!  3, 2, 1, NOW, 😁

This will be interesting. Depends on how it's implemented. Two aircraft come to mind:

A2A's Constellation and Pilot's Boeing Clipper (the flying boat)... The Constellation is a challenge because there was a full-time Flight Engineer on deck at all times, but A2A was great in that they provided an option to use an AI FE (if you so desire)... which is great, because I do NOT enjoy hopping from the Captain's seat to the FE station and back and forth to adjust engine cowls, and other word not allowed. THAT was great. Then there is Pilot's Boeing Clipper. I flew it SOMEWHAT a few times, but... it's a PAIN. You have to constantly change stations to FE, or Radio Communications Officer etc... That all takes time away from FLYING IT. You COULD use 2D popups, but I don't like them. Since I bought this thing in January, I rarely actually fly it. I hope the FSLabs Concorde is not as annoying (to me) to fly, but... it might be. I haven't experienced it. 

3 hours ago, Simicro said:

Guys,

Some of you are really incredible!

You still find the energy to participate to a Nth thread on MSFS - P3D 😉

You know... Avsim has a reputation for sometimes being toxic. I see it now. There are a bunch of snobs sometimes that exhibit THIS kind of attitude. You don't want to participate? Move along. Some people (myself included) enjoy engaging in conversation. If this topic is of no interest, you don't have to post in it. It's simple. I enjoy talking about the sims and where each one is going and the pros and cons of each. I don't hold this silly belief that a sim must be MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. I enjoy both. Why can't I engage in some fun conversation with others and not be subjected to snobby comments like this? It's nothing personal against you guys, but move the f... on if this kind of conversation doesn't stimulate you. We are all in this flight sim hobby together and there is a variety of topics to be discussed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

My main concern: What will happen to scenery add-ons when P3D gets updated to 5.2 or 6.0? The current situation indicates that only a small amount of scenery/airports will get a  compatibility update.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

8 minutes ago, Nemo said:

My main concern: What will happen to scenery add-ons when P3D gets updated to 5.2 or 6.0? The current situation indicates that only a small amount of scenery/airports will get a  compatibility update.

I do not really concern about this. I have noticed how much effort LM puts into ensuring a wide compatibility.

Also most of my addons (especially DLC) are working proper in V5. Some have smaller glitches, but still useful.

Marcus 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 minute ago, mpo910 said:

I do not really concern about this. I have noticed how much effort LM puts into ensuring a wide compatibility.

Also most of my addons (especially DLC) are working proper in V5. Some have smaller glitches, but still useful.

Marcus 

I hope you are right.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

7 hours ago, F737NG said:

Seriously?!

Yes seriously.

7 hours ago, F737NG said:

This was to show how development of these features would be a waste of LM's resources if, as suggested by someone else, P3D's main use was primarily by individual / home users like us here on Avsim.

And this is again information which is not appropriate.

You are assuming to much based on almost "0" valid information and "0" knowledge about LM (P3D products meant here).

Making statements like "...how development of these features would be a waste of LM's resources if..."(QUOTED from your post above) are simply worthless.  

This is why:

- You have most likely no valid information about the size of the team and what their velocity is 

- You have no numbers about sold copies and what kind of products and contracts LM has with different contractors

- You do not know how many they sell and which margins they have

- You do not know which strategy they have and who their "target customers" are

So writing "calling these features a waste of resources if...." is simply misleading and false.

LM is a huge company with many "hidden secrets" and for good reasons "very confidential contracts". You just don´t know the importance of many different target users.

I do not either...but I also did not wrote this above. 

8 hours ago, F737NG said:

Perhaps you should not reply to posts if you don't understand what is being written.

I'm done with this thread.

Perhaps I should jump in more often to challenge "users" who know probably "zero " about a company they should stop spreading false information.

Regards

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

30 minutes ago, Nemo said:

With every update for MSFS you see addon developers releasing updates too as many of their products  suddenly are having issues... 

The same for P3D but with justitie smaller updates it is most of the time just modifying the products EXE file.

Surely you have to buy newer P3D versions all over again, but keep in mind that MS/Asobo have stated that not only there will be free updates but also payware updates in the future.

The whole Fs community will always be a niche world. 
P3D and XP are pc orientated only, where MSFS probably will be XBox orientated in the future as there are simply more XBox users. But an XBox is not as powerful as a top end pc and the XBox users are looking into MSFS differently than the “few” pc users. They use a controller and probably are not interested at all in complex systems; just in a fancy looking environment....

As LM has large companies as clients I see P3D around for a very long time to come. And it has proven itself as a platform over the years.

Regarding updating Addons / new products ; you already see developers staring to make products again for P3D and XP . Slowly but you can see it. Almost every developer jumped on the MSFS train but with so many CTD’s and issues that appear after updates they now remember the other platforms again...

Let the FsLabs Concorde come ....✈️

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

36 minutes ago, GSalden said:

P3D and XP are pc orientated only, where MSFS probably will be XBox orientated in the future as there are simply more XBox users. But an XBox is not as powerful as a top end pc and the XBox users are looking into MSFS differently than the “few” pc users. They use a controller and probably are not interested at all in complex systems; just in a fancy looking environment....

Exactly how I see this too.....

We are able to use P3D....and we are able to do things MSFS is not (or not yet / maybe not even ever) capable of.

As long that´s the case.....I stick to P3D!

LM and MSFS have different USP´s and so different user groups at the moment.

And I am enjoying the P3D platform for simming a lot. From while to while I fly a small cessna to explore some parts of the world in MSFS....but very rare (<1% of my simming time). 

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

@BostonJeremy77, fear not about the potential extra workload for Concorde with the FE duties. The existing version has a Virtual Flight Engineer who has various tasks the primary one being fuel management in the 13 fuel tanks.

You can turn each element off if you wish to control everything yourself or keep them all on so you can just concentrate of flying her. I manage fuel myself now and it's great fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Impossible to say since we don't know how compatible v6 will be with previous releases. But I've added all my scenery I used in v4.5 into v5.1 and the only problem is a red X SODE issue at Aerosoft Mega Airport Oslo which can probably be sorted out.

People may criticise the ESP engine as being old and having its faults but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me by a long way. The fact I can continue to use virtually all my scenery in a new version of P3D has saved me a fortune.

The only update some developers provide is the P3Dv5 option on the installer. But it's simple enough to circumvent that and add an add-on or scenery.cfg entry using Lorby's excellent Addon Organizer.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Let me put this out there.. if LM decides in the future to change their entire engine "revolution style" in order to move it forward, and let's say for the sake of an argument V7 or V8 would require all add-on's to be re-developed in favour of having a total change of gears, etc. then so be it.. 

We have to re-do things pretty much from scratch for MSFS anyway, so I see no problems having to rebuild add-on's in favour of  major platform redesign as long as such platform can deliver what end users want and need. Would such move end up with lot's of users having to re-purchase add-ons? YES.. and if so, so what? most of them are happy to do that for MSFS anyway..

I must admit It is quite tiring to heard people saying they don't want to re-buy the same airport or Add-on's for P3D, but at the same time they want P3D to have a complete overhaul.. well, it ain't gonna happen if backward compatibility needs to be maintained forever.. that IS FOR SURE.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

We cannot tell the future we do know there is no MSFS version 2 and some time in the future when the world scenery is up dated then it will be third party`s to support much like FSX is now, I suspect that`s why they invited as many third party`s to get onboard, MS can then focus on the gaming platform going forward which Phil Spencer considers the future of gaming, Game Pass he want`s to double the subscribers as soon as possible.

LM well that`s there product developed for them, We just hitch a ride but your free to use what you want.  

PS my post is to say speculation is pointless and threads like this get us no answers.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

3 hours ago, Nemo said:

If my last experience is any indicator, 90 % of those add-ons will work, with or without an official update.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I have a question for add-on scenery developers:  Let's say you want to make a new airport. How much work would it take to make that airport for both MSFS and P3D versus making it only for MSFS or P3D?  How much effort is required for a conversion from one into the other sim platform?  I am asking because if it doesn't take much effort, why not make and sell an airport for both sim platforms?  There may be fewer buyers for the P3D version than for MSFS, but if there is not so much work involved, you will still end up with the formula "Total sales for both MSFS and P3D > Total sales for MSFS or P3D only", which makes it almost a win-win situation. I am sure that users of P3D would not object paying a little upgrade fee to use that airport in MSFS as well (or vice versa). 

I know that Drzewiecki Design has ported some of their city scenes into MSFS, and FSDT made KORD v2 available for MSFS as well.