Hello everyone, I need your 2 cents, had a Asus Rog PG348Q for a few years now, and of late been thinking going on full 4K. After reading a dozen or so posts here my choice is Benq PD3200U. Is it worth it? Be blunt and honest, also if you have something else to recommend please do.

Thnx,

Ivan

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

What would you plan to use it for? The PD3200U is a nice monitor with an excellent display but it's aimed more at the professional market than gamers. It's a good choice for sims - especially if you're good to sim at 30FPS as it doesn't have VRR like GSync or Freesync. You might have to be sensible with your graphics settings when simming if you're keeping your 1080Ti.

If you game generally though I wouldn't recommend it - I'd go for one that has GSync and higher refresh rates than 60Hz. That being said with a 1080Ti you're probably not going over 60FPS often in 4K anyway unless you're dialing down the settings. But if you upgrade your GPU later it's something to consider maybe. 

@Tektolnes thank you for your feedback. Benq caught my eye, although seeing that it doesn’t have hdr, I’m giving up on it. 
yeah, most of the time I use my pc for gaming. Don’t get me wrong, I like my ultra wide ASUS ROG PG348Q, but I kinda feel it is time to move to 4K and HDR.  Of course I am planning to get a new GPU, someday, when it becomes available. That sounds actually like a bad joke 🙂 

I will keep looking for a monitor. Thank you again for your time.

ivan

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Monitors for games and monitors for flight sim are in two separate camps. Choose a monitor that's ideal for flight sim (PD3200U) with its 30Hz setting probably won't be suitable for gaming that requires a much higher refresh rate like 100Hz + which the PD3200U cannot deliver.

GSync and FreeSync go some way to bridging the gap to give you the best of both worlds. But you're tied to a graphics card that matches that feature. FreeSync I believe only works with AMD cards and GSync with Nvidia.

Ideally you'd have a separate monitor for both but understandably that's not a practical solution.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, Johnny19 said:

yeah, most of the time I use my pc for gaming. Don’t get me wrong, I like my ultra wide ASUS ROG PG348Q, but I kinda feel it is time to move to 4K and HDR.

I like the ultrawide setup as well which I find works great for work and gaming but it's not an option really with a 4K monitor. I wanted to upgrade recently from a 27"1440p but didn't want to go all the way to 4K as not sure I really needed it and also wanted to be able to run non-sim games at a decent clip. I ended up settling on a 38" one at 3840x1600. Could be another option to consider if you wanted to stay ultrawide but have a bit more real estate. Performance demands would be about 25-30% more than your current monitor. I wasn't a fan of HDR though - I'd probably only use it for watching movies. In games it tended to be a bit all over the place. 

The Asus one that I have now has GSync @Ray Proudfoot And I just got an email from my local PC shop, the offered me PD3200U for 650 eur, 50 eur off the listed price. Does the 30Hz setting also apply to MSFS?

@Tektolnes I mean, yeah, I am also looking at Acer Predator x34, Dell Alienware... Not good to have too many options in my case.

Ivan Majetic

2 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

The Asus one that I have now has GSync @Ray Proudfoot And I just got an email from my local PC shop, the offered me PD3200U for 650 eur, 50 eur off the listed price. Does the 30Hz setting also apply to MSFS?

Yes, it's a Windows setting rather than one inside a simulator.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 3/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Monitors for games and monitors for flight sim are in two separate camps. Choose a monitor that's ideal for flight sim (PD3200U) with its 30Hz setting probably won't be suitable for gaming that requires a much higher refresh rate like 100Hz + which the PD3200U cannot deliver.

GSync and FreeSync go some way to bridging the gap to give you the best of both worlds. But you're tied to a graphics card that matches that feature. FreeSync I believe only works with AMD cards and GSync with Nvidia.

Ideally you'd have a separate monitor for both but understandably that's not a practical solution.

Monitors with G-Sync at 4k cost most than 3000 euros. I believe that noy everybody has these type of monitor. There must be something wrong that I need to understand because I also need a monitor for Asus RTX 3090.

1 minute ago, harpsi said:

Monitors with G-Sync at 4k cost most than 3000 euros. I believe that noy everybody has these type of monitor. There must be something wrong that I need to understand because I also need a monitor for Asus RTX 3090.

Don’t bother with GSync. The 3090 is so powerful it can maintain 30fps in every situation.

Buy the BenQ PD3200U which supports 30Hz. Cost around 600 Euros.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Don’t bother with GSync. The 3090 is so powerful it can maintain 30fps in every situation.

Buy the BenQ PD3200U which supports 30Hz. Cost around 600 Euros.

30 Hz? This is less than the one I have for 9 years... I was looking for 120 Hz at least. Can you explain why 30 Hz? And 600 euros is too much. I would like something around 300-400 euros.

Edited by harpsi

@harpsi, this is a flight sim forum so any recommendations I make are for that genre and not the shoot ‘em up games which require very high frame rates and refresh rates to match.

If you run at 60Hz and use Riva Tuner SS to Monitor CPU1 and GPU usage you’ll notice stuttering will start when usage hits 100% on either of those.

In short, your settings are so high the hardware cannot deliver so performance suffers. By running your monitor at 30Hz you reduce the demand on your hardware by 50%. The usage stays below 100% and there are no stutters.

Most people find 30fps in P3D and MSFS to be acceptable. Use google to search for monitors in your price range. But why scrimp on a lesser monitor when you’ve spent so much on the GPU?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I only "play" MSFS, not other games... 

The gpu was the only one available. You cannot find 3080 almost anywhere and 6900XT was not a choice for me. 

30 fps acceptable with 3090? Well, then maybe it is better to sell my gpu again. 🤦‍♂️

But 30 Hz to play in 4k resolution? Is it possible?

@harpsi, yes, 30fps can be achieved in any flight sim. My 1080Ti does it in P3Dv5 at 4K. I have to turn settings down but I’ve always done that.

Im sure you can do that in MSFS. I don’t own it so can’t advise.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

@harpsi, yes, 30fps can be achieved in any flight sim. My 1080Ti does it in P3Dv5 at 4K. I have to turn settings down but I’ve always done that.

Im sure you can do that in MSFS. I don’t own it so can’t advise.

I think nobody buys 3090 to play in other resolutions than 4k. It is a waste of money and one simply does not get the profit of it. In many videos I have seen with frame counter, 4k is where one can see the big difference between 3090 and any other gpu.