Sign in to follow this  
sabianj

Told to go around but no plane(s) on runway

In multiple landing situations, I've been told to go around due to an alleged plane being on the runway. In all instances, it turned out that there wasn't a plane "on" the runway per se. However, after checking the P2A map icons, there clearly were planes on the parallel taxiway and one holding short. I do have airborne traffic alerts set but these aircraft were on the ground as indicated by the blue icons.

1. Could the presence of those other nearby aircraft been the culprit for the go arounds commands by ATC? 
  2. If so, would turning off traffic alerts remedy it?

I have the latest version of P2A and have the traffic link enabled.

Planes near the runway may be interpreted as on the runway if they are within the limit of P2A's algorithm for determining "on runway".  Also, if the data positioning of the runway is off slightly from the scenery positioning of it, that could cause a "false positive" on runway situation.

You can try turning off traffic alerts, but as I recall, the on runway check occurs regardless of whether or not you have alerts turned on in order to avoid collisions.

Coming up with a way to give more control over this or to avoid the problem are on the list of things to do for the program.

Dave 

If you are running P2A with FSX or P3D you might find the AI Freezer lua plug-in supplied with FSUIPC useful. It freezes all AI traffic in "taxi out" status when you are on finals, and releases them when you've landed. Helps avoid go arounds due to runway encroachment but should let traffic already in "take-off" mode take off and clear the runway in time.

Dave, is the distance from the runway when you do the go-around check adjustable? Or is it related to events on the aircraft, like gear down?

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

22 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

The Go Around decision is made at 1 mile final.  It is not currently adjustable.

That's okay, and good. The gear (or full flaps) will be lowered before then, and the AI Freezer.lua plug-in freezes the taxi-out traffic then. There should be time for any Take-Off traffic to vacate the runway.

By coincidence, John has just managed to get the AI Traffic status registered correctly by FSUIPC7, for MSFS. That data is needed for the plug-in to work correctly.

Pete

On 5/9/2021 at 4:47 AM, Pete Dowson said:

If you are running P2A with FSX or P3D you might find the AI Freezer lua plug-in supplied with FSUIPC useful.

Not available for X-Plane?

5 hours ago, Sidney Schwartz said:

Not available for X-Plane?

It's a Lua plug-in for FSUIPC4, FSUIPC5, FSUIPC6 or FSUIPC7. i.e. FSX, FSX-SE, P3D3, P3D4, P3D5 or MSFS.

I don't know of any equivalent facility in X-Plane, but then I don't have XP so I wouldn't have investigated. Sorry.

Pete

17 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

It's a Lua plug-in for FSUIPC4, FSUIPC5, FSUIPC6 or FSUIPC7. i.e. FSX, FSX-SE, P3D3, P3D4, P3D5 or MSFS.

Pete, do you have a link to this plug-in ?

Thanks!

Dirk

6 hours ago, woodstock327 said:

Pete, do you have a link to this plug-in ?

It's one of the example Lua plug-ins in the ZIP so entitled which is installed with the documentation and other items for FSUIPC.

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

It's one of the example Lua plug-ins in the ZIP so entitled which is installed with the documentation and other items for FSUIPC.

Duh, I just noticed you already mentioned this in your first post, totally missed that...

Thanks Pete!

Dirk

Is the AI Freezer lua plugin available for use in fsx steam. I can't see it included in the sample lua plugins folder I have from my registered fsuipc4. It sounds really good and having bought pilot2atc which doesn't control ai traffic it will be really useful to prevent go arounds.