dmUITaO.jpg

mmhR8Qq.jpg

6U0ycaV.jpg

rczSAln.jpg

LY8Fi2R.jpg

lSjF0s0.jpg

HQev7La.jpg

0FCc4nv.jpg

(one of these days I might RTFM for this thing and manage a flight without it doing this)
rfsPVER.jpg

UrzNkeG.jpg

V9Hmzxk.jpg

YCMvUhz.jpg

• Like 6

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Love the shots.  There's a quest by some to prove XPlane can be just as visually impressive as MSFS. These shots almost making me a believer.  Wish XPlane looked like this all over the world without so much being spent on add-ons but I digress.  If only we could get the competition to embrace cloud scenery or at least large regions of detailed areas like North America, Europe, Aus/New Zealand, etc.  We'd need way more hard drive space but it would be a step in the right direction like these pictures show to compete with MSFS.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Cheers @Dillon. I've been taking a few flights in XPlane the last few days simply out of frustration with MSFS. I'm one of those who's been hit hard by the FPS drops, stutters and freezes in many and various places since the last update.

Although XPlane can look ok, it's not really XPlane that can claim any responsibility for that. For me, it only really works with the Orbx TrueEarth stuff in place, or some of the Forkboy US ortho stuff. I actually had a pretty good looking California before Orbx got their TE products out for that area. The Spain UHD tiles are pretty impressive too. But that's it, generally. Most of the rest of the planet looks awful. And unfortunately, even where you do get a nice addon, like an airport or city pack, as soon as you get out of that area the surrounding default looks even worse than normal because of the comparison. At least, that's the way I feel about it.

MSFS is in a class of its own, for me. It's exactly what I've always wanted, a world simulator. The fact that you can fly around in it is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned. If you're primarily concerned with accurate and realistic flying in a tubeliner of any sort, I would have though XPlane would more than do the job. There are plenty of great airports available and the lousy ground textures won't offend the eye at FL200 and similar. For me though, I like to be anywhere between maybe 3000 feet tops and roof (or even ground) level. There is just one aspect where XP wins out for me and that's its freeways. I have spent some time "driving" that AC Cobra around in places like Seattle and LA and although it's not the easiest thing to control, it's great fun, and visually very impressive. That's the only thing I'd like to bring across from XP (oh, and the built in save/replay, of course).

Having had a few flights in XP, I went back this evening and re-did one of those XP flights (south out of KRDD) in MSFS, and the difference was like night and day. MSFS is just so beautiful when it's working. And that seemed to be a stutter free area for me so I'll be back there tomorrow.

A couple of years time and MSFS will hopefully have most of the major problems sorted, and have all sorts of missing functionality added in, and P3D, XPlane and all the other sims will probably be history on my machine. And then what will I do with all those TB of drive space <grin>?

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.