Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Overheating since SU3

13 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

I understand that many people are interested in helping others here in the forums and that is greatly appreciated.  There is, however, a certain mindset that tends to avoid any criticism of these developers and looks for any other reason to explain the existence of a problem.  Sometimes it takes the form of acknowledging the issue and sort of apologizing on behalf of Asobo while expressing absolute certainty that all will be well in the future.  At other times it takes the form of outright denial that the problem exists.

Those who express these sentiments are, perhaps, more generous and kind-hearted than I am.  But if the goal is to get Asobo to change direction and start making real progress on this sim, I'm not sure it is being served by them.

It is like the student who gets a grade of 62% on his exam and refuses to discuss anything except the answers he got right.  A "D" is still a "D."

There are clearly issues with each update that affect some but not others.  Is it rational to say that the software just makes the hardware issues more apparent.  Is it a valid response to simply invest in new hardware with each new "update?"

IMHO this sim has never risen above a "D" and when it begins to exact financial costs to those who use it, the grade drops significantly from there.

So far Asobo is being congratulated for the huge undertaking they have attempted or for what they have promised.  I look forward to offering mine when and if we see some real progress.

Have you even taken a moment to read my posts about Asobo in my profile before writing something like this ?

Shakes head .. i can't even..

I'm just going to leave it as your a frustrated person needing an outlet right now.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

A healthily configured and built pc can not (or at least should not 🙂 ) get overheated by software. Any benchmark like Cinebench needs more computing power than the buggiest MSFS. You pc gets hot when running multicore Cinebench? Absolutely normal! It gets too hot? Your cooling is not sufficient!

My cpu gets 91 degrees Celsius in Cinebench after 10 minutes with standard clock. It gets maybe 84 degrees when I overclock it to 5.2 GHz in MSFS (with all the bugs).

Edited by crimplene

5 hours ago, Car147 said:

I also run afterburner, and like the op, i noticed a big increase in heating since wu3.. Solved at my end by changing  the fan curve,

Same here: an increase of around 15 degrees C on average. 

A.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

Same here: an increase of around 15 degrees C on average. 

A.

So all these GPUs are going bad....Hmmm...

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have a RX5700 XT and have also noticed a large increase in temperatures since UD3.  I have installed an extra fan and two higher-rated fans, but still have temps up around 80C, with Junction temperatures mid 90C.  Prior to UD3, they were around 65C and 75C respectively.  Many of my settings are on medium to high, none of ultra, and even when I reduce the settings, the temps remain much higher than they used to be.  My card is almost new, and the best I could afford, so I am very anxious to avoid frying it. 

I have found that temps are much higher when taking an exterior view of the aircraft while flying, presumably because of extra calculations required, so I am severely limiting my exterior viewing as a result.

I've just discovered in my software where to adjust the fan curve, so will see what changes are needed there to reduce temperatures.

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

1 minute ago, ozzieblr said:

I have a RX5700 XT and have also noticed a large increase in temperatures since UD3.  I have installed an extra fan and two higher-rated fans, but still have temps up around 80C, with Junction temperatures mid 90C.  Prior to UD3, they were around 65C and 75C respectively.  Many of my settings are on medium to high, none of ultra, and even when I reduce the settings, the temps remain much higher than they used to be.  My card is almost new, and the best I could afford, so I am very anxious to avoid frying it. 

I have found that temps are much higher when taking an exterior view of the aircraft while flying, presumably because of extra calculations required, so I am severely limiting my exterior viewing as a result.

I've just discovered in my software where to adjust the fan curve, so will see what changes are needed there to reduce temperatures.

That could be an AMD driver issue. This has nothing to do with the Flight Sim. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

7 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

That could be an AMD driver issue. This has nothing to do with the Flight Sim. 

I've done the driver fix, which has solved the timeout errors I was getting, but the fan curve seems to be solving the temperature problem.  Right now, settings for the sim are unchanged, using the same aircraft in the same scenery and weather conditions, but the fan curve changes are now giving me temps of 64C and junction temperature 78C.

Edited by ozzieblr

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

1 minute ago, ozzieblr said:

I've done the driver fix, which has solved the timeout errors I was getting, but the fan curve seems to be solving the temperature problem.  Right now, settings for the sim are unchanged, using the same aircraft in the same scenery and weather conditions, but the fan curve changes are now giving me temps of 64C and heat junction 78C.

I wonder what the X box folks will do if their X boxes which don't have a ton of cooling start melting down....🤣

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I wonder what the X box folks will do if their X boxes which don't have a ton of cooling start melting down....🤣

You don't know anything about xbox do you ? Series S/X has excellent cooling capabilities. They spent a lot of R&D on it. The fact the console exhaust a lot of heat shows you that it's very good at getting the air out of the box.  The PS5 has an enormous heatsink.  These new consoles are build to last under heavy conditions. 

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

You don't know anything about xbox do you ? Series S/X has excellent cooling capabilities. They spent a lot of R&D on it. The fact the console exhaust a lot of heat shows you that it's very good at getting the air out of the box.  The PS5 has an enormous heatsink.  These new consoles are build to last under heavy conditions. 

I saw someone totally tear one apart on a video . Didn't look like alot of extra cooling to me. 

I tested the theory today. I flew in Japan using the 747-8. My RTX 2080Ti is running between 78-86% usage and the temp as barely move from 75c. This is within the operating temperature of this card. 

Edited by fogboundturtle

16 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I tested the theory today. I flew in Japan using the 747-8. My RTX 2080Ti is running between 78-86% usage and the temp as barely move from 75c. This is within the operating temperature of this card. 

I am sure that you know that without full settings, flight description and PC specs this information is not very useful.

Anyway, my specific problem is not with the GPU (2080 TI, not overclocked) but with the CPU package (10900K, not overclocked), which is on average 15C hotter than before the update, in the same conditions, same settings, same flight.

A.

22 hours ago, crimplene said:

A healthily configured and built pc can not (or at least should not 🙂 ) get overheated by software.

Well, not really. Try Prime95 and Furmark. 

Not by MSFS anyway, on this I agree.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

On 3/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, xender said:

This is getting out of hand...

If a system isnt able to handle the load put on it and restarts/overheats as a result, the underlying cause is with the physical hardware, not with the software.

While this is true, bugs in software can introduce excessive heating. 

If the developer accidentally adds a tight loop that chews CPU cycles, you're going to get hot.  That loop is then removed and temps return to normal.

That would be a software bug.  I agree with you that managing heat is down to the physical hardware, and things like overtemp protection that's built in.

But in this case the root of the issue would be a software bug.

That's not to say that's what is happening here.  It's just an example.  In these situations it doesn't seem like any cores or the GPU are pushing 100% usage anyway.

Wondering  how the overheating problem is after running the update from today.