Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

RNAV Approaches

Are RNAV approaches working in the sim?  When I activate an RNAV approach in the Longitude it reverses course and flies back to the previous waypoint on the flight plan.  It does not fly to the IAF.  Glide slope also does not react and stays pegged at the bottom of the glide slope scale even when intercept should be happening.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

The U turn is a bug in MSFS. No eta on when there will be a fix. 

Edited by Wnuk

Use the WT CJ4 instead. Done many rnav approaches without any problem.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end.  The WT CJ4 is definitely my favorite aircraft in FS2020.

16 hours ago, piperarrow41 said:

Are RNAV approaches working in the sim?  When I activate an RNAV approach in the Longitude it reverses course and flies back to the previous waypoint on the flight plan.  It does not fly to the IAF.  Glide slope also does not react and stays pegged at the bottom of the glide slope scale even when intercept should be happening.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

This is a general issue of all aircraft's autopilots in MSFS. When you set up any kind of approach on the fly, the aircraft starts turning in circles or makes a 180 (when it doesn't crash to desktop...)

A workaround I found is this: immediately after you enter the approach procedure, set the A/P with the DIR function in order to head directly to the first waypoint of the approach path. Sometimes one DIR trick is sufficient, otherwise you may have to repeat the procedure later for other waypoints.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Another workaround, and guys, guys, hear me out! I know it's radical, but you can actually try flying the aeroplane yourself. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

7 minutes ago, Chock said:

Another workaround, and guys, guys, hear me out! I know it's radical, but you can actually try flying the aeroplane yourself.

50% of the times I have to land the A320 manually 🙂

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

27 minutes ago, Chock said:

Another workaround, and guys, guys, hear me out! I know it's radical, but you can actually try flying the aeroplane yourself. 🤣

Yes, this is what I do. The MFS G3X cannot automate a RNAV without botching it  but the screen gives the waypoints with their altitudes. I love this kind of flying but it might be time for MS to implement  automation. Like if we were serious simmers.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

23 minutes ago, Chock said:

Don't be ridiculous Chock.

That's a final break point, last ditch stand, "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE", written my will on the back of the sick bag, option to be used only in a dire emergency.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Upvote 2

I've done a few "RNAV" in the CJ4, but I manually corrected the descent using VS Pitch to match the slope indicator. The auto-descent on an RNAV seems a bit buggy sometimes, but I don't know I'm not an expert at using this plane.

Working Title CJ4 VNAV Descent and RNAV Approach

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I use Avliasoft EFB to set up all my approaches, visual, Rnav and ILS.  They all work perfectly every time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Sometimes approaches look a bit like this on the world map:OSDkKv1RvDJCBcXIdmVqiq-z0JItDHS5p19dqlNv

How do you manage them? Are they wrongly coded inside the sim or am I doing something wrong? I just try and pick the less messed up for the runway that I want, when it happens.

• Upvote 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I use Avliasoft EFB to set up all my approaches, visual, Rnav and ILS.  They all work perfectly every time. 

How can they work perfectly when the markers for Rnav don't even exist in MSFS. Also it's not even on their roadmap to even fix.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

How can they work perfectly when the markers for Rnav don't even exist in MSFS. Also it's not even on their roadmap to even fix.

Aivlasoft reads whatever is in the sim as well as my PF3 Atc program, So  they all connect together. No point in trying to fly an approach that isn't in the sim. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310