Sign in to follow this  
piperarrow41

RNAV Approaches

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

They all work perfectly every time.

Ok you have to be more specific, "they all work perfectly" but only in those that you choose where MSFS included in the Rnav in the sim, for hundreds of other Airports that MSFS doesn't provide Rnav markers and don't plan on fixing them, they don't work.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

8 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

How can they work perfectly when the markers for Rnav don't even exist in MSFS. Also it's not even on their roadmap to even fix.

If it isn;t in the sim, that approach won't be listed in either EFB or PF3.  I did three IFR flights this morning. Once ATC assigns a runway due to weather, I look up the runway in EFB, and it gives me all the possible approaches available for that runway. The last flight I did, on the assigned runway I had an ILS, a RNAV, a LOC, and three different Visuals depending on distance from the runway. I just pick one, and if it is a LOC I am given t he Frequency and the runway heading and the vertical profile for the approach. Rnav, gives me GPS waypoints to the runway and vertical profile. Visual gives me a waypoint, in line with the runway. Easy Peasy. All approaches are a piece of cake. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

Ok you have to be more specific, "they all work perfectly" but only in those that you choose where MSFS included in the Rnav in the sim, for hundreds of other Airports that MSFS doesn't provide Rnav markers and don't plan on fixing them, they don't work.

Well how can you fly an approach  that isn't in the sim. That's like landing at an airport that isn't there??????

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well how can you fly an approach  that isn't in the sim. That's like landing at an airport that isn't there??????

This is what I'm talking about, for ex. in MSFS there's no Rnav approach for CYLS while it has existed for 10+ years in P3D. MSFS has no plans to fix this anytime soon. Even if I use Aivlasoft there are no markers in MSFS to do an Rnav for CYLS.

Izj6VUi.jpg

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

One of the bugs of this sim is that in order to utilize the vertical glidepath to the runway, you have to select APPR on the autopilot (in the real world, one would only select APPR on an ILS approach). It should be VNAV (which is how the CJ4 functions) but for now, this the workaround I use in the Bonanza, Baron and Longitude.

This is entirely down to the AIRAC data, isn't it? Perhaps Microsoft should get a different provider that has all the procedures and not just a small portion of them

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

vatsim s3

1133704.png

On 3/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, Bobsk8 said:

I use Avliasoft EFB to set up all my approaches, visual, Rnav and ILS.  They all work perfectly every time. 

How does the Avliasoft EFB work, is it a flight planner?  I am a pilot in real life and typically use ForeFlight from my iPad connected to MSFS2020 for flight planning, weather and a moving map.

21 minutes ago, piperarrow41 said:

How does the Avliasoft EFB work, is it a flight planner?  I am a pilot in real life and typically use ForeFlight from my iPad connected to MSFS2020 for flight planning, weather and a moving map.

I started to write everything that EFB down in my reply to you, and I quickly realized it would take a long time to go over everything it does. 

My suggestion is to get the free demo that you can use for 30 days, an I will bet that you will be delighted on how useful it is.   https://www.aivlasoft.com/

58 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I started to write everything that EFB down in my reply to you, and I quickly realized it would take a long time to go over everything it does. 

My suggestion is to get the free demo that you can use for 30 days, an I will bet that you will be delighted on how useful it is.   https://www.aivlasoft.com/

Thanks, I will check out the free trial.  Quick question though, does it interact with the FS GPS and autopilot or is it a standalone utility?

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, piperarrow41 said:

Thanks, I will check out the free trial.  Quick question though, does it interact with the FS GPS and autopilot or is it a standalone utility?

Thanks.

Standalone, but frankly I was/am quite disappointed in it for the price, right now LNM with the extra maps is my goto.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:35 PM, FPStewy said:

Airports that MSFS doesn't provide Rnav markers and don't plan on fixing them, they don't work.

True, sooo many airports with missing Rnav's in MSFS.

I'm assuming the Rnav data must be entered into the airport scenery file itself (as it always used to be with ground based ILS's)... but since Rnav is GPS based I don't know how Asobo has implemented that data and where it belongs. In other words, does the game "fake" the Rnav approaches and performs them, technically, the same as an ILS and therefore they must be physically placed into the airport scenery itself and properly aligned with it's runway? Or since Rnav's are GPS based does MSFS actually handle them in a different way? I tend to doubt it because the Rnav data still has to have a way of knowing about all the runway data (dimensions, orientation, elevation, etc)....and I assume all of that is still within the airport scenery. So, this MIGHT mean that every missing Rnav would need to be physically placed into each airport and properly aligned...if so...not gonna happen anytime soon 🙂 It might be much faster to edit the airport scenery ourselves.

On the other hand, if the Rnav info is purely a gps simulation and handled independently of the airport scenery, then it might just be a matter of the GPS database being updated...which is alot easier I would think.

In any case, it's been about 8 or 9 months and I'm really wanting to see all the missing Rnav's that belong in my local area since they help a great deal when it comes to shooting approaches into smaller non commercial type airports. I never use the autopilot to fly an approach since I like flying it manually, but having the vertical guidance, at least visually, helps in less than stellar weather conditions.

I really wish Asobo would publicly comment on this issue to explain if it's just a database that needs updating (I doubt this is the answer though) and when that is expected to happen...or is it more of a scenery edit that needs to occur...and what is the best/quickest solution to those who want to see all these missing approaches? 

5 minutes ago, hangar said:

I really wish Asobo would publicly comment on this issue to explain if it's just a database that needs updating (I doubt this is the answer though) and when that is expected to happen...or is it more of a scenery edit that needs to occur...and what is the best/quickest solution to those who want to see all these missing approaches? 

They won't comment, they basically made a deal with Navblue and got the shaft, and where's Charts+. Again you have to scratch your head as to why they didn't partner with Navigraph which is the defacto Nav data provider for all flight simming which would all correspond to online ATC's like vatsim. The best solution is to get the Navigraph data and try to fix their messup.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

Navigraph which is the defacto Nav data provider for all flight simming

Keep in mind that this might not JUST be a database issue. if that was the case then we'd likely already have a modified database file with some of the the missing Rnav's wouldn't we (but again, im just assuming)? As I posed, in my reply above, each individual airport scenery file may need to be updated with it's Rnav's PLUS be added to the GPS scenery database.

Edited by hangar

On 3/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, FPStewy said:

This is what I'm talking about, for ex. in MSFS there's no Rnav approach for CYLS while it has existed for 10+ years in P3D. MSFS has no plans to fix this anytime soon. Even if I use Aivlasoft there are no markers in MSFS to do an Rnav for CYLS.

Izj6VUi.jpg

Just looked in Skyvector and there are no approaches for CYLS there either. https://skyvector.com/airport/CYLS/Lake-Simcoe-Regional-Airport