Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Constantly morphing cliffs.

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

Another weird issue. I do not see the morphing which was a bane in P3D, or very rarely.  All the more incomprehensible that I have an older hardware. I do not complain, mind you ! But this is strange. I see the creeping water, I see still some spikes not the morphing.

Maybe you're not flying in areas where the effect is more pronounced? My normal test area is my home town, which is coastal with some low cliffs. The texture pop-in is very noticeable on any of these mesh areas where the ortho imagery has to be vertically stretched to match the mesh.

Another artifact is that I'm seeing segments of the coastal water's edge pop in the same way, right in front of the aircraft when flying low, and only when there are waves burned into the ortho image. Don't know if that's related to the vertical cliff pop-in but I suspect it is, because it's happening at the same close distance. 

This texture popping was not in the Alpha test and I don't remember it being there on release. It was introduced some time later.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Also, when flying past the morphing cliffs, I couldn’t help but notice a huge, blurry, dark area on the sea that made no sense. As I approached it suddenly became apparent that the sea was dropping down about 30-40’. It looked like a tsunami.

I’m pretty sure that these are fairly recent issues, as I flew the same route some weeks ago, and don’t recall seeing anything as bad as last night’s flight.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Maybe you're not flying in areas where the effect is more pronounced? 

Maybe but I fly everywhere in the world with a predilection for hilly and coastal terrains.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Be careful, complaining about this can get people to start calling you a drama queen.

This morphing issue appeared with the USA World Update, and was further exaggerated with the UK World Update when the coastlines were pushed inside the mesh (workaround for the water creeping up). Unfortunately, the only way you can slightly mitigate the issue, is pushing the Terrain Level of Detail slider to 200, or even higher in the UserCfg.opt file. It won't resolve the morphing, but it will be moved further away from your camera's position making it less noticeable.

Asobo have not officially commented on this issue. I would recommend sending a Zendesk report and upvoting this thread in the official forums:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mountains-and-coastlines-continually-changing-shape-morphing-and-popping-up-and-down-not-terrain-spikes/339453

I was about to post the thread that MrFuzzy appended above as well, it's a good discussion of the issue, however you can see what happens if you talk about it in public.

in  my version it's been there since release....in fact waterways/rivers along the coast of Northern California are a mess since the game was released. 

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

20 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

in  my version it's been there since release....in fact waterways/rivers along the coast of Northern California are a mess since the game was released. 

Agreed!

Rivers looked simply like flooded areas with no ravines and alot of roads look like rivers.

Can't wait to see better terrain elevation and ravines with rivers!

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 3/26/2021 at 5:27 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Been there way before that. Looks like it was inherited from FSX....

It didn't happen in the release version

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

11 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

It did, just in certain areas and further out. I always say to test fly over Madeira or somewhere similar. 

On 3/27/2021 at 12:17 AM, Dominique_K said:

Most of them are fixed but you can find some piercing through  in mountainous regions, in PNG for instance. 

I will check in the Alps on this route.

Also in my home country NZ. Especially the South Island 🤥

18 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

A lot of things were better at release than it is today. 

• Like 1

Saw some ugly stuff in the Galapagos

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam