Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Reinstall questions

Hi all,

So my computer went very laggy suddenly and I couldn't identify the cause so I did a full C drive format and Windows 10 reinstall. At least X-Plane is not dependent on install location so I have X-Plane for my weekend flights.

Regarding my P3D installation, I had P3D installed on a different than C drive and its still there. However all C paths that P3D uses as well as the Documents/Prepar3D Add-ons folder are gone. Do you know if its possible by re-installing P3D to recover the installation just without the add-ons folder contents? I'm afraid of a big mess.

Also, what you would do at this point? Install again v5.1 or wait for v5.2 ? I'm on a good dilemma here. 

Edited by ComSimPilot

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

2 hours ago, ComSimPilot said:

Hi all,

So my computer went very laggy suddenly and I couldn't identify the cause so I did a full C drive format and Windows 10 reinstall. At least X-Plane is not dependent on install location so I have X-Plane for my weekend flights.

Regarding my P3D installation, I had P3D installed on a different than C drive and its still there. However all C paths that P3D uses as well as the Documents/Prepar3D Add-ons folder are gone. Do you know if its possible by re-installing P3D to recover the installation just without the add-ons folder contents? I'm afraid of a big mess.

Also, what you would do at this point? Install again v5.1 or wait for v5.2 ? I'm on a good dilemma here. 

Hi

Could work if you were to install P3D into the same folder/location on which it was installed before. 

Once reinstalled, it will recreate all its system folders (C Drive etc) as well as the Add-Ons Folders etc. (My/Documents/P3D v5 Addons and Files)

What will need work are the addons as you may need to reinstall all those, to ensure tie-up with the registry as well as the new P3D installation, apart from the required activation processes, where required.

Either case, once you have the base P3Dv5 install running without any addons, make an image for which you can source your backups from. Macrium Reflect have a Free Version which works really well.

Hope this helps, keep us posted on progress

Kind regards

BTW: Just came off a repair install yesterday after I hosed my previous install tinkering with SODE and GSX. 2nd time around as the first involved messing with ActiveSky/ASCA and REX/SF. 🙂

Edited by Tokitaumelie

Thank you very much Tokitaumelie for your time to help. Really appreciate it. I will consider doing it, though it would be so much better if LM released P3D v5.2 anytime soon : )

• Like 2

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

Instead of doing the reinstall - go to Control Panel - unstall programmes -and ask for P3D uninstall - and when the query comes up - maybe you can try the  "Repair" choice - and choose Academic

That should go through every thing and restore your c drive bits

it takes as long as an install

Well, by reinstalling Windows you've completely wiped out all the registry entries needed for P3D and most likely many of your add-ons, including the license key.  So a "repair" install won't help here.

If you didn't uninstall P3D before formatting and reinstalling Windows (uninstalling releases your license key on their registration servers so it can be used again), you're going to have to contact LM and get them to reset your registration on their servers before it will let you install and activate it again.

If you've got a backup made prior to reinstalling Windows, you could probably transplant your C drive folders back to the C drive after reinstalling P3D.  That said, any add-ons that write license or config info into the registry are going to need reinstalled even though they may still be in the P3D folder.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you guys for the suggestions. There was no problem with P3D before, it was a Windows that forced me to do a full reinstall. Windows was suddenly unacceptably slow and laggy, all the troubleshooting I did, didn't led me to the source of it and I was not willing to lose my weekend trying to find the problem instead of flying. 

It was stupid of me to not uninstall P3D before as, like correctly Bob suggested I had to contact LM to reset my activations, which I did. I will most probably delete my P3D installation folder and only keep the libraries like ORBX for the next installation.

Bob I didn't kept a backup of any P3D installation file, so I will go ahead and reinstall everything. I hope I won't lose any activations.

I am seriously considering waiting for v5.2, if only we had a hint of how much will this take. A month or 3? If FSL sharklets come out, it would be hard to resist though. Having said that, it will be really nice if LM would implement an installation like X-Plane or DCS do, where all files are on a single folder location. The way P3D installs in your system still carries the old FSX method and it's very frustrating to manage if something like this goes wrong to your system...

Edited by ComSimPilot

Just a curious question:  If I have P3dv5 installed and running, is it possible to "re-install" the entire program (which covers the Client, Content, and Scenery) again without uninstalling the current program, AND NOT lose any addons, planes, or scenery?  I always wonder if certain parts of the program have been altered and affect the overall performance during its installed tenure.  I don't want to uninstall each piece and reinstall each piece.  I'd like to re-install the entire program in one action.  Would that work without consequence?

Stan