Sign in to follow this  
Toneal2

Real Time Weather not working?

it breaking between flights seem to be random, might event depend on the time of day or even server load.

I just did 5 different flights (not actual flights, I just kept going back the main menu, I was testing traffic), and the weather worked every time.

Did the same thing yesterday, broke every time.

Edited by Tuskin38

13 hours ago, anitelite said:

i see that the random lightning is back

I put this "game" aside 6 months ago back in Sept 2020 (to give MS & Asobo a chance to just get the very basics down tight).

But after returning for just a few hours in the sim last nite I can see just how much is still keeping this from being an actual "sim", such as the same weather issues since day 1, same flight model issues on certain planes, since day 1...and then there are funny/strange features that may kill immersion but really don't hamper the art/science of simulating flight itself, and that is the friggen thunder and lighting...the lightning is like nearly constant (in March????) and the thunder..my gosh...it was MUCH louder than the engines on the twin piston I was in during taxi...BANG! BANG! BANG! <uh, are my engines on, I cant hear over that thunderstorm?>. It was like a tropical monsoon up here in NY in March, lol.

The fact the we still dont have a proper  real time aviation weather system in place (metar MUST be standard for current conditions in the sim, with TAFFS only being used to change the weather gradually as time goes on within the session), and a great selection of aircraft out of the box that don't behave very closely to their real world counterparts...and more than half a year has now passed since release, I must say is disappointing and I think just screams out loud just how many things wrong came inside this box on day 1. I mean, heck, they must be working full time on this now for what 6 or 8 months since release which means they have an awful lot of man hours into fixing it, yet the very basics of what you'd expect to see in a serious flight simulator are still seemingly far out of reach...so yea...unfortunately, msfs2020 turned out to be much more of a pretty gaming title than it turned out to be a serious flight simulation tool, IMO.

I'm still hoping it eventually changes....but as far as I'm concerned I now see this so called 10 year project of MS's as 10 year early access waiting game. 

Please don't flame me for simply voicing my disappointment after being very patient and silent for more than 6 months now...you may not agree with me and that is ok...I know not everyone will share my opinion...and that's what it is...just my opinion and how I personally feel about this. Just wanted to be heard is all.

• Like 1

Like many others, I have given up hope Asobo will provide accurate real world live weather 24/7.  I also pray daily that Damian Clark and HiFi Simulations are working on a software application that can deliver us from the (YES, NO, MAYBE) world of Asobo weather and whatever Meteo Blue decides to deliver for my next flight. 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

WAT1460.png

55 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Like many others, I have given up hope Asobo will provide accurate real world live weather 24/7.

They said in the most recent Q&A they're doing a weather rework/rewrite that will be out later this year.

16 hours ago, anitelite said:

i see that the random lightning is back

It never left, it just became a lot less common.

Edited by Tuskin38

29 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

They said in the most recent Q&A they're doing a weather rework/rewrite that will be out later this year.

You may be correct.  Whether they do or not ANY Active Sky iteration for MSFS is a DAY ONE purchase for me.

• Like 2

WAT1460.png

27 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

You may be correct.  Whether they do or not ANY Active Sky iteration for MSFS is a DAY ONE purchase for me.

IIRC, Asobo has stated that they're not opening up the weather system to 3rd party add-ons. 

In the abstract, I think that's the right way to go. It forces the sim developer to closely integrate flight modeling with atmospheric modeling, and build a great weather system from the ground up. No excuses.

I've been very vocal over the years here on Avsim about how disappointing X-Plane's weather system is, even though it's open to 3rd party add-ons like ActiveSkyX. The problem is that the internal weather engine is a very simplistic layered system. There isn't much add-on developers can do with that. Austin Meyer has spent too many years just assuming 3rd party devs can handle weather generation and it's not working well.

So in theory I think Asobo's approach is good, if they still plan on blocking 3rd party weather add-ons. Of course they have to deliver, if that's the plan. Live weather and cloud rendering, especially with regard to CB's with internal dynamics, is not where it needs to be yet.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Worst part is the rainbows. They simply do not look real. Leave that stuff for 80s kids cartoons And yes thunder is too loud too.

22 hours ago, vcarlo said:

Like many others, I have given up hope Asobo will provide accurate real world live weather 24/7.  I also pray daily that Damian Clark and HiFi Simulations are working on a software application that can deliver us from the (YES, NO, MAYBE) world of Asobo weather and whatever Meteo Blue decides to deliver for my next flight. 🙏🙏🙏

Damian has not been active on the HiFi forums for a while so I take that as being that he and Kostas are working night and day on Active Sky for MSFS. MSFS weather is close but it would be very nice to have accurate weather around aerodromes, I can deal with MSFS weather enroute but the airport weather must be bang on.

\Robert Hamlich/

22 hours ago, vcarlo said:

Absolutely, in fact if they did pre-sales they could have my cash right now !! (Writing as someone who NEVER touches pre-sales) .. .. ..

36 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

Damian has not been active on the HiFi forums for a while so I take that as being that he and Kostas are working night and day on Active Sky for MSFS. MSFS weather is close but it would be very nice to have accurate weather around aerodromes, I can deal with MSFS weather enroute but the airport weather must be bang on.

Pretty much agree there, although I happily use AS to kill that 100kt headwind 😉

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

KSWF was supposed to be 2SM -RASH OVC007, instead it was broken at 2500, more than 10nm vis and no rain. 

KDCA was supposed to be 5SM -RA FEW010 BKR025 OVC040 and I had clear skies with a couple clouds waaaayyyyy to the south.

all live weather straight from MSFS and turned on after starting the flight. 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:41 PM, haskell said:

Agree. Unreal doesn’t do a good job with winds aloft. So I use unreal to get accurate METAR weather on the ground then switch to live while climbing out. Back to Unreal on descent.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier.  Just installed the mod today!  Amazing...it freaking works.  But yes must switch to LIVE weather climbing enroute.  And I presume switch back to the other mod when approaching your destination.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier.  Just installed the mod today!  Amazing...it freaking works.  But yes must switch to LIVE weather climbing enroute.  And I presume switch back to the other mod when approaching your destination.

Just did a flight with exactly this method. Unreal for takeoff. Live for enroute. Unreal on final.

Unreal was accurate on the ground in both terminals (with IFR, snow, low vis fog) but showing clear skies above the cloud deck. Live showed great transitions and weather effects up high, but was completely inaccurate for the departure and arrival.

Best of both worlds (or weathers) this way especially in terminal areas with low ceilings etc.

• Like 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

If you're okay with the large shift of weather yes it's great.  I'm fine with that because I can have accurate cigs on arrival.  If only the mod could transition somehow to "LIVE" weather at a certain distance away from departure airport.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

If only the mod could transition somehow to "LIVE" weather at a certain distance away from departure airport

yea, would be less of a PITA if it could do that :smile:

Everybody everywhere pays attention to and talks about the weather...

🤣

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.