Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Community folder update

Quick question: when you update the community folder (add/remove/modify a mod), what do you need to do to have MSFS taking it into account?

I know that restarting the sim does the job, but is there a faster way to do this?

Thanks.

No, you have to reload the Sim.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

If you do want to move stuff in and out of the community folder, its best to keep it on the same drive too as it can avoid some long read/write operations.

It would be handy if we could refresh without restarting though.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

What a pain...

As an add-on developer, I am trying to learn how to develop add-ons for MSFS. If I have to restart the sim each time I want to test a modification of my code, it will take alot of time...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

What a pain...

As an add-on developer, I am trying to learn how to develop add-ons for MSFS. If I have to restart the sim each time I want to test a modification of my code, it will take alot of time...

If it's an aircraft you're developing or making over an existing one - no need to reload the sim everytime.

You can use Developer mode to Reload the aircraft via the Developer Menu.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rocky said:

What are you developing?  As was said upthread, adding or removing community folder content requires a restart.  However, both the plane and scenery editors in dev mode allow you to reload what you're working on if you have a project open.

• Like 1

I am modifying the FlyByWire A320 mod with some minor updates on the displays (PDF and ND). After changing the Javascript code, I tried reloading the same aircraft in developer mode, but my modifications were ignored. It was OK when I restarted the sim. 

Maybe this is because the previous version was "cached", in which case I don't know how to clear it from the cache or force a reload of my new version. 

Any idea? 

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

After changing the Javascript code, I tried reloading the same aircraft in developer mode, but my modifications were ignored.

Every now and then things seem to get perma-cached.   You can bust the cache by adding a query string to the link in the HTML doc that pulls in the JS (or CSS).

Beyond that, if you're working with displays you don't even need to reload the full plane.   Install the webui devkit and you can hot reload the screens with a button push.

Edited by kaosfere

2 hours ago, kaosfere said:

Every now and then things seem to get perma-cached.   You can bust the cache by adding a query string to the link in the HTML doc that pulls in the JS (or CSS).

Beyond that, if you're working with displays you don't even need to reload the full plane.   Install the webui devkit and you can hot reload the screens with a button push.

Excellent !! I will look into this.
I wonder why Asobo did not release such a good tool with MSFS native...

I can't get it to work as expected 😞

The debug window shows, the console works, but clicking the R button does not reload the JS code after update.
In the HTML file, I added a query string as advised, by changing the code from:

<script type="text/html" import-script="/Pages/VCockpit/Instruments/Airliners/A320_Neo/MFD/A32NX_NDCompass.js"></script>

to:

<script type="text/html" import-script="/Pages/VCockpit/Instruments/Airliners/A320_Neo/MFD/A32NX_NDCompass.js?aa"></script>

hoping I would be able to change "aa" to something else in the following iterations, but it didn't help. My code change is still ignored.

[EDIT] Here is an image of what I see, everything looks correct: Screenshot

Edited by Rocky
addition of a screenshot link

It still doesn't work. Maybe it is because in the A320_Neo_MFD.html, I placed the debug.js import in the wrong order in the list of JS code to be imported:

<script type="text/html" import-script="/JS/SimPlane.js" import-async="false"></script>
<script type="text/html" import-script="/JS/A32NX_Util.js"></script>
<script type="text/html" import-script="/JS/debug.js"></script>
<script type="text/html" import-script="/JS/dataStorage.js"></script>
<script type="text/html" import-script="/Pages/A32NX_Utils/NXDataStore.js"></script>
<script type="text/html" import-script="/Pages/A32NX_Core/A32NX_DMC.js"></script>

Any clue is welcome.