Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

New to MSFS

What type of connection do you have, fiber, 4G, ADSL ? Do you have a cap on your internet access ?

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

no, no additional fee, the access comes with the product

Ok, so I just need to know which version to buy. I normally do not use stock aircrafts and sceneries. I always buy addons like PMDG, ORBX and so on... Do I need the Premium Deluxe version or can I buy the Standard which is the cheapest one? And for windows 10 or steam? (I will have windows 10 64 bits installed)

Edited by harpsi

7 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

What type of connection do you have, fiber, 4G, ADSL ? Do you have a cap on your internet access ?

Fiber 100 MB with no limits...

For me internet is not a problem, although there are better connections than mine probably... 

Edited by harpsi

14 minutes ago, harpsi said:

But if I buy the game, let's say the standard version which is 69,99 euros, do I also need to pay an extra fee for the regular access to the website for real-time scenery download? 

Sorry, I am new to this... 

No. Real time scenery streaming is free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Ok, so I just need to know which version to buy. I normally do not use stock aircrafts and sceneries. I always buy addons like PMDG, ORBX and so on... Do I need the Deluxe version or can I buy the Standard which is the cheapest one? And for windows 10 or steam? (I will have windows 10 64 bits installed)

Buy the cheapest one. You can buy from either windows 10 store or steam store. The installer is different but the game will be the same and connect to the same servers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, illidanx said:

Buy the cheapest one. You can buy from either windows 10 store or steam store. The installer is different but the game will be the same and connect to the same servers.

But what means "steam" version instead of "win10 version" having win10 installed?

6 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Fiber 100 MB

Go to the download purchase, don't bother with the disks 

8 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Ok, so I just need to know which version to buy. I normally do not use stock aircrafts and sceneries. I always buy addons like PMDG, ORBX and so on... 

I went to the standard version and am glad I did. 

8 minutes ago, harpsi said:

And for windows 10 or steam? (I will have windows 10 64 bits installed)

This is not a choice between W10 and Steam but between the MS store and the Steam store. You absolutely need to already have W10-64 on your rig. As I said before, some go the Steam way (me) some the MS store way. There are no major differences.

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 minutes ago, harpsi said:

I do not need a trial phase. I was already FSX and FS2004 addicted. 😉 I didn't have P3D due to a computer that is quite old. I am now buying a new one. So, I will definitelly have it. The other one I can install is P3D because it has a lot of variety in terms of sceneries that MSFS doesn't have because it is a recent game.

OK your choice is simple buy the game through either the Microsoft Store in Windows or buy it from the Steam Store in Windows.  They both install the same game.

The basic game gives you everything you  need to fly and includes all the default aircraft and default handcrafted airports.   

You can then if you like also buy the deluxe and premium addon packs which contain extra airports and extra aircraft however you do not need to buy these there are entirely optional.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

2 minutes ago, harpsi said:

But what means "steam" version instead of "win10 version" having win10 installed?

Steam version just means it is distributed by steam store. It is still windows 10 version because this game only works on windows 10. When people says "win10 version", they really mean they bought it from the windows 10 store, which can be accessed by the store app you always see when you install windows 10.

3 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

OK your choice is simple buy the game through either the Microsoft Store in Windows or buy it from the Steam Store.

The basic game gives you everything you  need to fly and includes all the default aircraft and default handcrafted airports.   

You can then if you like also buy the deluxe and premium addon packs which contain extra airports and extra aircraft however you do not need to buy these there are entirely optional.

https://www.xbox.com/pt-PT/games/microsoft-flight-simulator <<< Here, first one and windows 10 version, right? It will always come with the latest patches, correct? It seems the last one is this one >>> https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-notes-1-14-6-0-now-available/?fbclid=IwAR2djT3Y2IFC2DyudIDIntM6JqN2qGokDpG2vMAmWhSzUkiEr2viDj0Ell4

4 minutes ago, illidanx said:

Steam version just means it is distributed by steam store. It is still windows 10 version because this game only works on windows 10. When people says "win10 version", they really mean they bought it from the windows 10 store, which can be accessed by the store app you always see when you install windows 10.

I see. Since I need to buy it online, I prefer the fastest way to get it. 

Just now, harpsi said:

https://www.xbox.com/pt-PT/games/microsoft-flight-simulator <<< Here, first one and windows 10 version, right? It will always come with the latest patches, correct? It seems the last one is this one >>> https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-notes-1-14-6-0-now-available/?fbclid=IwAR2djT3Y2IFC2DyudIDIntM6JqN2qGokDpG2vMAmWhSzUkiEr2viDj0Ell4

There are  two links on that page.

- the first link buys the game and you do not need to pay again you pay once and now own a licence to install it

- the second link signs you up to game pass and you get to access the game by paying a monthly fee, with this version you pay every month

6 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There are  two links on that page.

- the first link buys the game and you do not need to pay again you pay once and now own a licence to install it

- the second link signs you up to game pass and you get to access the game by paying a monthly fee, with this version you pay every month

So, I do not need the second link because this latest patch and also the others will already come with the first purchase, correct? Sorry about too much questions but things are different from FSX and P3D.

6 minutes ago, harpsi said:

I see. Since I need to buy it online, I prefer the fastest way to get it. 

You are way over complicating things. Here's what you need to do

1. Buy the game.

You have two places to buy it, but it's the exact same product. It's like buying a can of Coke - you can buy it from your local grocery store, or from the mall, but it's still the same Coke that you buy. You can choose which store to buy it from - either Steam, or the Microsoft Store (which is installed with Windows 10).

Buy the cheapest Standard version. I have Premium Deluxe and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know you want it.

2. Install the game.

Once you have bought the game from either Steam or the Microsoft Store, you have to install it. Both stores will deliver a ~1GB file to you, and install the basic executable. Once you run this (by clicking on the Flight Simulator icon just like any other program), the game will start and THEN it will download all the files it needs (~100GB).

So it doesn't really matter which store you buy from. Both will give you just the basic file, the bulk of the downloading is done by the game itself, and this is independent of the place you bought it from. Steam isn't faster than Microsoft Store or vice-versa.

3. Play the game.

Once the game has fully downloaded and installed, you can play! You need internet access for the full experience, though it is possible to play the game offline after initial install and license checks. However, the real fun of the game is with the internet access turned on, and since you have a good connection, you shouldn't have any issues enjoying it.

There are no ongoing fees, subscription fees, or anything like that. There is an in-game store where you can buy things, but that's completely optional.

I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

One more thing. There are two options to buy

1. The full game with a perpetual license. This is the traditional way you're used to buying games - pay one initial price, and then the game is yours to play. Like buying a DVD of a movie - buy it once, watch it anytime.

2. Subscription. You can also subscribe to the Game Pass service. Here, you pay a monthly fee, and get access to a LOT of games including Flight Sim - but only as long as you keep paying the fee. Like Netflix - access to thousands of movies, but only as long as you keep paying the monthly fee.

The game is exactly the same either way, including all patches and everything. Just a decision for you - some people like Game Pass because they can play many games, others (like me) paid the one time fee because I only really play Flight Sim.