Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Which is more stable V4 or V5

3 minutes ago, reecemj said:

Well it looks like the 60 day refund is history. Now it's only 14 days. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It is system dependent. For me, v4 is more stable, by quite some margin.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I have a custom-built (in May 2020) computer with an i7-10700K, 16 GB RAM, and a GTX 2060 with 6 GB VRAM. I was running P3D v4.5 with no issues, but I also bought v5 since I was moving from my old computer to the custom-built. Now that I look back, I really should have bought a 2080, now that it's next to impossible for me to get any video cards in Greater Vancouver or even in Canada ... but hindsight is 20/20. Oh well.

Anyway, I was really disappointed with the initial rollout of v5: I had lots of CTDs, probably some of which were associated with TrueGlass, as well as VRAM-related memory issues, when I tried to run EA, even with pretty low settings. So ... I soon installed v4.5 on my new system and all my aircraft and add-ons, and I was a pretty happy camper.

Recently, there was discussion on AVSIM about v5.1 with the latest hotfixes, especially since TrueGlass had been updated. I was tempted to try v5 again, so I updated my v5, which was at 5.0 because I had stopped using it before the updates and hotfixes. With judicious use of the sliders in settings, I'm happily running v5.1 and have stopped using v4.5. Even with bad weather while in heavy scenery areas, I don't exceed 3.5 GB of VRAM with any of my add-on aircraft, and I haven't experienced any CTDs or VRAM issues. Of course, there is a sacrifice: I don't use EA, and some of the aircraft I like to fly haven't been updated for 5.1. Again ... oh well.

So ... I'm now thinking of uninstalling v4.5 entirely. I'm happy with v5.1, given the limitations of my video card, but the pluses outweigh the minuses for me. Of course ... YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I think the drivers also make a diff in my opinion.

I rolled back my driver about 2 weeks ago and I've been punishing P3D v5 with live settings changes on the go and activating addons live weather, aircraft, GTN's, ATC all turning them off and on and then doing a 2hr flight with all sorts of views and expecting a sure CTD but It's been surprisingly stable with not one CTD yet.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I left P3D ver. 3.4xx behind for version 5.1 + the hotfix. My video resolution is 1920x1080 and I have a GTX 1070 with 8GB of Vram. So far I have only had one CTD and that was due to a freeware addon aircraft that was not 5.1 compatible. Even in EA I only use at the most 3.5 GB of Vram in the more dense Orbx scenery areas like KSEA. Most of my sliders are to the right yet I realize that my 5+ yr. old Jetline desktop has its limits and I have to respect that and not push the limits.

At this point in time, I am glad I chose to go with 5.1 rather than P3D 4.5. It is interesting to read through the different comments regarding some have had CTD's with 5.1 for whatever reasons while others such as myself have not. 

Went back to v4.5 hf3 

brilliant for now, until v5 truesky is working well.just not there yet.

mike

OK, two  questions. How do you get Version 4.5, purchase 4 and tghen it updates to 4.5?  Same question with 5.1, is that buying 5 and updating to 5.1 . Last P3D I bought was version 3 which worked great for years, so I am a bit rusty on this. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, JRMurray said:

I really should have bought a 2080, now that it's next to impossible for me to get any video cards in Greater Vancouver or even in Canada

Yes, it's a pain in many places, not just Canada. I'm in the same situation. 😐

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Yes, but in the interest of full disclosure, the v5 version of Vector is heavily watered-down and really not the same product at all.

19 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

OK, two  questions. How do you get Version 4.5, purchase 4 and tghen it updates to 4.5?  Same question with 5.1, is that buying 5 and updating to 5.1 . Last P3D I bought was version 3 which worked great for years, so I am a bit rusty on this. 

If you buy either, you get the latest version, which currently is 4.5 HF3 or 5.1 HF1

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

w6kd beat my to it, I have had a problem with v5.1 but that was down to me I found out I have being doing a lot AFCAD v5 editing fell foul of duplicate Bgl`s . But I would not go back to v4.5 I have just fitted a new Samsung M2 drive still virgin and empty but waiting for 5.2 then deactivate and a full re-install on the drive. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

24 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Yes, but in the interest of full disclosure, the v5 version of Vector is heavily watered-down and really not the same product at all.

If you buy either, you get the latest version, which currently is 4.5 HF3 or 5.1 HF1

Thanks. I just bought 4.5 . Downloading now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You'ii like it. I do :>)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 5:42 PM, Bobsk8 said:

How is everything going so far?

I 'm also considering re-installing P3D v4.5 HF3 because even though X-Plane 11.40 is a very good sim, I'm missing my A2A 172 and I have no idea of how long before A2A releases anything for MSFS. P3D just has better weather depiction, renders water better than XP, ATC & AI work well together, and my A2A fleet are only P3D compatible.

MSFS still has too many issues to be my primary sim.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.