Sign in to follow this  
spilok

FSUIPC experiment with P3dv5

I love FSUIPC and I've used it and all its versions for many years.  I even use it to "toggle airport names" so that I can identify airports throughout the world by editing the CONTROLS folder in P3d.  However, today, I tried a little experiment suspecting that FSUIPC "may have" an impact on P3dv5 performance  (FSUIPC ver.6).  I will keep my experiment going every day to see if I can replicate my conclusions.

I disabled FSUIPC today and answered "no" when P3d asked me if I wanted to enable it upon start.  I can honestly say that I flew from Philadelphia to Burke-Lakefront, Ohio (KBKL) in Active Sky horrendous real weather including winds, rain downpours and fog (Allegiant Airbus 320), landed, and turned around.  I flew then from KBKL to KBOS, and back to Philly.  I then changed planes and took off in an Embraer 145 and headed to Buffalo (KBUF).  Again, all flights encountered weather that was extremely challenging.

I landed in Buffalo and throughout the entire series of flights, I did not have a single extended PAUSE, or any STUTTERS.  I cannot remember flying P3dv5 with at least a single episode of stutters or pauses...some of which make me have to start P3d over, because the pause extends for many minutes.

I know I've read where FSUIPC does not impact performance; however, I truly believe it seems to for me.  As I said, I will continue to experiment with this exclusion until I'm positive the impact is real.  If it does not hold up, I will be very quick to acknowledge it to this forum.  I try to think of all programs that I use, and my goal is to have pleasant, error free flights.  

I still cannot believe how beautifully P3dv5 performed today.

Stan

Ps.  I have NEVER used Auto Save in FSUIPC...so that is not the reason for these results.

Edited by spilok
  • Like 2

most flights WITH fsuipc I don't have pauses/stutters.  I set my screen refresh rate at 30hz prior to flying which no doubt helps.  So thankfully no performance hit for me.  But even if there was.  I can't imagine having to forego all my macros and aircraft specific controller assignments.  

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I'm new to P3Dv5 and do experience micro pauses on scenery flow.  I hope it's not FSUIPC since there's so much that depends on it, but I'm interested in your experiment.  Thank you for posting.  

David

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

While I have not performed particular test flights to prove this this however I strongly believe that the auto save function does impact P3D. I only fly PMDG aircraft and I can clearly see a split second pause when it saves. Obviously disabling the auto save does solve it however I am then left without the auto save function. I only wish there was an alternative for saving automatically without the use of FSUIPC as I don't use any other functions...

Edited by Balint Szarka
  • Like 1

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

5 minutes ago, Balint Szarka said:

While I have not performed particular test flights to prove this this however I strongly believe that the auto save function does impact P3D. I only fly PMDG aircraft and I can clearly see a split second pause when it saves. Obviously disabling the auto save does solve it however I am then left without the auto save function. I only wish there was an alternative for saving automatically without the use of FSUIPC as I don't use any other functions...

I can’t believe this old chestnut has surfaced again. FSUIPC calls the standard save scenario routine. Nothing extra. And considering every setting in the PMDG CDU is also saved as well as the state of the flight and weather I would say a “split second pause” shows how efficient the call is. You must be looking for it.

I had two flights in the NGXu today with autosave working and never noticed any stutters apart from the big ones when Ai at a major airport 80nm away is injected into the sim.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I hated to bring this topic up, of course. I know most will say everything is fine when they use the utility.  Again, I NEVER use AutoSave in FSUIPC.  All I did today was fly without FSUIPC, and on my rig....I noticed a difference and very smooth flying for hours.  We'll see.  If it works for you, fine.  It's an experiment!  Experiments succeed or fail.  We all have the same common goal when flying in P3d.

Stan

@spilok, you don’t list your hardware or resolution used. Some of that would be helpful. Is your monitor running at 30Hz with VSync and Triple buffering enabled?

The aircraft you mention don’t sound as if they’re very resource hungry. When you save a scenario using them is every switch setting remembered?

I’d love to perform a blind test without you knowing if FSUIPC was running or not. I’ve never even suspected it could be responsible for stutters. Too much else going on. Do you have Ai injected into the sim and if so what package?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Here's the info for which you asked:

Hardware:  Jetline System (2 Years old)

Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit)
Chassis:                    NZXT S340 Elite Mid-Tower, Black
Motherboard:            Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5, LGA 1151
Processor:                 Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock) 
Core                          Six Core
CPU Cooling:            Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Liquid Cooling
System Memory:       32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz
Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, PCI Express 3.0
System Power:          850 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
Sound Card:              7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary Drive:           1TB Samsung EVO 860 Solid State Drive (SSD)
NVMe SSD:              1TB Samsung EVO PLUS 970 Solid State Drive (SSD)NvMe NVMe SSD:              1 TB Sabret SSD
Secondary Drive:      2TB Mechanical Drive

• LG Monitor 4K 32" running at 60Hz
  • Vsync and Triple Buffering OFF
  • Ai is UTLive (love it)
  • 8 MSAA
  • 2048 Resolution
  • 3842x2160 monitor resolution
  • Terrain and Scenery almost fully right
  • Unlimited set in sim. 30 FPS set in NVCP

The AIRCRAFT is cancelled out because I use the SAME aircraft when I'm having the high stuttering and extreme pauses.  Tonight I flew the Virtualcol CRJ 700.  I love this package with 200's, 700's, 900's, and 1000's.  I am not flying PMDG type aircraft here, but I wasn't flying them when I had issues either.  So that's a "wash"!

Tonight I flew the CRJ from Krakow to Warsaw.  Landed.  Flew from Warsaw to Tegel. Landed. Flew from Tegel to Frankfurt. Landed.  ABSOLUTELY NO stutters, pauses or anomalies.  I am getting more and more convinced that I am on to something here.

I may be going against the grain with this, but I'm having one great time flying with zero issues.  I will continue tomorrow.  If I have the same issues, I will report quickly. 

Honest!

Stan

Edited by spilok

@spilok, Stan, we have virtually identical systems but with a few crucial differences.

You are using NCP to force 30Hz. I run 30Hz 'naturally'.

Your scenery sliders are far higher than mine but if you don't have complex 3rd party airports plus the associated Ai that will allow you to run P3D pretty well.

UTLive has far lower levels of traffic than AIG. I remain convinced FSUIPC doesn't cause noticeable stutters. Maybe you should post over on Pete / John's forum.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Did you by accident have the Autosave option enabled in FSUIPC ?

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I don't use Auto-save as my Virtual airline does not allow saved flights to be resumed.

However, FSUIPC runs only in basic mode for RC4, I cannot think that that would cause stutters, scenery loading, yes.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Did you by accident have the Autosave option enabled in FSUIPC ?

Absolutely not!

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

I don't use Auto-save as my Virtual airline does not allow saved flights to be resumed.

However, FSUIPC runs only in basic mode for RC4, I cannot think that that would cause stutters, scenery loading, yes.

I’ve also noticed that without FSUIPC my scenery doesn’t spontaneously “blur” as it has in the past.  It didn’t blur all day yesterday during my flights. Perhaps if FSUIPC has an effect on scenery loading, as you say, it can also cause stutters to occur. That seems logical to me! 

I still have more experimentation to do. I’m not ready just yet to give this a ‘signed, sealed and delivered” judgement. 

15 hours ago, spilok said:

love FSUIPC and I've used it and all its versions for many years.  I even use it to "toggle airport names" so that I can identify airports throughout the world by editing the CONTROLS folder in P3d.  However, today, I tried a little experiment suspecting that FSUIPC "may have" an impact on P3dv5 performance  (FSUIPC ver.6).  I will keep my experiment going every day to see if I can replicate my conclusions.

Over the many years that FSUIPC has been in use, a small number of users have made similar suggestions, usually based on invalid 'tests'.  Many users do not seem to see these issues.

In P3D5 some report stutters while others claim very smooth results, but it's not always clear if FSUIPC is being used or not. Either way, if you are going to test for any effect you need to do it much more objectively.

For any route you try without FSUIPC, you need to refly it, in identical weather conditions, using the same aircraft at the same time of day, with every setting the same, while using FSUIPC. Otherwise you have nothing to compare with. Tests also need to be repeated several times to see if they form any pattern. Even things like ambient temperature for each test need to be considered, because that affects cooling of the pc, which definitely can affect performance.

Unless all these parameters are met then it's just a subjective view rather than a test.

John B

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@spilok, Stan, we have virtually identical systems but with a few crucial differences.

You are using NCP to force 30Hz. I run 30Hz 'naturally'.

Your scenery sliders are far higher than mine but if you don't have complex 3rd party airports plus the associated Ai that will allow you to run P3D pretty well.

UTLive has far lower levels of traffic than AIG. I remain convinced FSUIPC doesn't cause noticeable stutters. Maybe you should post over on Pete / John's forum.

Not using NCP to force 30 hz.  I’m using NCP to force 30 FPS. I’m running at 60 hz.