Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Mart's TV shows to watch.

24 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Is Season 5 of The Expanse complete yet? I do not want to start watching them until they are all available.

Oh yes. Finished ages ago Chris. 

It was three episodes in one go and then one per week.

Edited by martin-w

9 hours ago, martin-w said:

Doctor Who is all about  dreadful acting and awful writing. Some of the very early stuff had appeal and I must admit that a few episodes of the latest stuff are almost watchable. 

On the whole though, a bit of an embarrassment. 

As you can tell, I'm not a fan. 

Worst was the Russel T Davis garbage. Yes Russel, we know you are gay, and we aren't homophobic in the slightest, but we didn't really ask for gay Science Fiction. 

Red Dwarf on the other hand... very good indeed. Who can forget Kryton's "double polaroid". 😀

It lasted 28 years in the first run. The longest running entertainment television series in any country of the civilized world.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

18 minutes ago, Fielder said:

It lasted 28 years in the first run. The longest running entertainment television series in any country of the civilized world.

That just supports my hypothesis that "drek sells..." :rolleyes:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The era of Tom Baker was the golden age of Doctor Who for me. David Tennant was the best of the new bunch, but I lost interest halfway through Matt Smith's tenure.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

It did indeed, I know, and I know because I can remember right back to William Hartnell. The first Doctor Who. A bit scary it was in those days, for a little boy.

It's problem has always been budget. There was an attempt at a film in the 90's, a joint venture between BBC and Universal. It was actually pretty good.

Just imagine how good it could be with decent writing, decent acting and a big budget. 

3 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The era of Tom Baker was the golden age of Doctor Who for me. David Tennant was the best of the new bunch, but I lost interest halfway through Matt Smith's tenure.

Tom Baker did do a decent job. Some of the episodes were okay. 

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

It did indeed, I know, and I know because I can remember right back to William Hartnell. The first Doctor Who. A bit scary it was in those days, for a little boy.

It's problem has always been budget. There was an attempt at a film in the 90's, a joint venture between BBC and Universal. It was actually pretty good.

Just imagine how good it could be with decent writing, decent acting and a big budget. 

I doubt Milton or Shakespeare could improve this exalted dialogue.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

In addition to such wonderfully restrained and nuanced screenplay, reminders of the historical debt we all owe to Brigadier Leftbridge-Stewart.

So, can someone please enlighten me as to why we needed six additional episodes in Season 10 of The Walking Dead? Pandemic restrictions are splattered all over them, and (IMO) they added next to nothing to the story.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

So, can someone please enlighten me as to why we needed six additional episodes in Season 10 of The Walking Dead? Pandemic restrictions are splattered all over them, and (IMO) they added next to nothing to the story.

No idea Chris. I stopped watching it a long time ago when it became rubbish.

I did see one episode of Fear The Walking Dead, and that seemed a lot better. Might start watching it if it's streaming somewhere. 

Halfway through Season 5 of The Expanse, and it is light years beyond anything that The Mandalorian has delivered. Fantastic stuff :cool:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

35 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Halfway through Season 5 of The Expanse, and it is light years beyond anything that The Mandalorian has delivered. Fantastic stuff :cool:

Completely different premise though Chris. Mandalorian is Star Wars stuff. The weird CGI creatures the Star Wars universe and simple stories, pretty much episodic. Its excellent at what it pertains to be, its not trying to be profound.

Expanse on the other hand is a whole different ball game. Complex, profound, serious Science Fiction. 

I love them both and appreciate them for what they are. Apples and oranges, they cant be compared. 

As you like Expanse I'm going to award you a cat point.

😼

P.S. Expanse is lightyears ahead of MOST things. 👍

Edited by martin-w

Did nobody like Dark Matter? I quite liked it and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

I must say Firefly and Serenity were my all time favourites. Maybe I just liked the space western format but I also liked the interactions between the main characters. The episode "The Message" didn't make sense because the character Tracy Smith was smuggling contraband internal organs in place of his own organs. I couldn't understand how he could have his organs removed at point A and have them put back in at point B.

Although The Expanse is my current favourite, I preferred the early episodes involving the discovery of the alien civilisation. I wish it had a more realistic representation of the hard vacuum of space.

I thought I was going to enjoy Star Trek Discovery but the development of the spore drive seemed to be too unbelievable so I gave up.

Dugald Walker

39 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Did nobody like Dark Matter?

Not seen it. I'll check it out.

Firefly and Serenity were my all time favourites

Yes, excellent. Tragic that Fox cancelled it. But that's what Fox does unfortunately. 

I preferred the early episodes involving the discovery of the alien civilisation. I wish it had a more realistic representation of the hard vacuum of space.

The science in Expanse is pretty good though compared to most shows. What was it specifically about "hard vacuum" that didn't impress you? 

I thought I was going to enjoy Star Trek Discovery but the development of the spore drive seemed to be too unbelievable so I gave up.

Oh god yes its rubbish. And that stupid Spore Drive was plagiarised, there was a court case about it. The idiotic writers couldn't even come up with their own ideas. And all the SJW stuff is damned irritating. The last series had a few good episodes and improved slightly. I watch it because its science fiction and Star Trek, but I have to bite my lip at the cringe inducing stuff. 

Picard started off well for the first episode but was dreadfully written. Apparently Seven of Nine is gay now. 😅

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Completely different premise though Chris. Mandalorian is Star Wars stuff. The weird CGI creatures the Star Wars universe and simple stories, pretty much episodic. Its excellent at what it pertains to be, its not trying to be profound.

Expanse on the other hand is a whole different ball game. Complex, profound, serious Science Fiction.

Maybe I am just getting old, but I have a problem with "simple" these days. If I do not care about the characters, then I am done.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png