Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Mart's TV shows to watch.

Just now, Christopher Low said:

Maybe I am just getting old, but I have a problem with "simple" these days. If I do not care about the characters, then I am done.

I care about the characters in Mandalorian. All subjective of course. You can keep your cat award. 🙂

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

What was it specifically about "hard vacuum" that didn't impress you?

In season 2, when the debris from the orbital mirror falls onto the agricultural dome at Ganymede Station, massive amounts of fragments of the dome are showering down to the surface. Since Ganymede has virtually no atmosphere, I would expect the dome fragments to be sucked up into space.

In season 4, when Ashford is being spaced, he drifts smoothly out of the airlock, still singing for a few seconds before freezing to death.

In season 5, when Naomi is about to escape to the other spaceship, she is in the airlock at normal temperature and pressure with another person. She opens the outer door and uses her arms to launch herself smoothly into space. The other person moves to the outer door to try to stop her and stands at the doorway and freezes to death. It's as if the vacuum did not exist.

Dugald Walker

Battlestar Galactica 2004 - best sci-fi series ever IMO.

Star Trek Enterprise - ashamed they only made 4 seasons.

Just started watching Star Trek Voyager - a bit cheesy at times but not bad.  Still on season 1.

Picard - 5 episodes in and pleasantly surprised.  Looks like season 2 is in the works.

Walking Dead - awesome series, but went downhill fast after Rick left IMO.

The Expanse - fantastic series.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

12 hours ago, dmwalker said:

In season 2, when the debris from the orbital mirror falls onto the agricultural dome at Ganymede Station, massive amounts of fragments of the dome are showering down to the surface. Since Ganymede has virtually no atmosphere, I would expect the dome fragments to be sucked up into space.

That's a really good point. Ganymede has a gravitational field close to our Moon's. So yes, you would think a pressurized dome would result in the debris going up not down. 

In season 4, when Ashford is being spaced, he drifts smoothly out of the airlock, still singing for a few seconds before freezing to death.

Cant find a clip of that on YouTube to watch it again but if he's "audibly" singing its clearly wrong. In regard to lasting that long before freezing, its plausible. In fact in zero atmosphere, as long as all air is exhaled from the lungs to prevent them bursting, it does take a while. 

In season 5, when Naomi is about to escape to the other spaceship, she is in the airlock at normal temperature and pressure with another person. She opens the outer door and uses her arms to launch herself smoothly into space. The other person moves to the outer door to try to stop her and stands at the doorway and freezes to death. It's as if the vacuum did not exist.

Just watched it on YouTube, as the airlock door opens, there is an escape of air into the vacuum. Naomi is sucked out and pushes herself out. She previously injects herself with a substance, presumably to enable her to withstand vacuum better. 

The only issue I have is that you would think the other guy would be sucked out, but he isn't. Although I guess he is a hefty belter and is hanging on. 😁

And oh yes... Naomi sucks air in before egressing the airlock. BAD IDEA unless she wanted her lungs to burst. 

Edited by martin-w

10 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Battlestar Galactica 2004 - best sci-fi series ever IMO.

Star Trek Enterprise - ashamed they only made 4 seasons.

Just started watching Star Trek Voyager - a bit cheesy at times but not bad.  Still on season 1.

Picard - 5 episodes in and pleasantly surprised.  Looks like season 2 is in the works.

Walking Dead - awesome series, but went downhill fast after Rick left IMO.

The Expanse - fantastic series.

Dave

Galactica was great. Not the best ever for me though. 

Enterprise was awesome. Gutted when they cancelled it. I still have dreams about T'Pol. 😊

Agree with everything else except Picard. I wasn't pleasantly surprised. Well, I was for the first episode, then it was mostly irritatingly bad. How they can transform Picard into  the galaxy's ultimate wimp after being an awesome Federation Captain, god only knows. And I don't buy the "but the Borg experience affected him" excuse. He wouldn't be that transformed. Picard being deliberately written to be dominated by women so they can appear to be "woke" is embarrassing too. Yes, there were some good episodes, so I'm crossing fingers for S2. 

I'm just waiting for Amazon: Tolkien 2nd age. Whereas the last 3 seasons of Game of Thrones cost 8 to 10 million per episode, this series is 1 billion divided by 40 episodes = 25 million per episode.

Amazon paid Tolkien Estate 250 million for the rights to this 2nd age. Lord of The Rings is 3rd age. Silmarillion is 1st age.

Nobody except the Tolkien Estate owns the rights to Silmarillion.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I did say that I was only halfway through Season 5 of The Expanse.....

Battlestar Galactica was great for the first two seasons, but it got a bit too "religious mysticism" for me after they left New Caprica. I prefer my science fiction to be more "nuts and bolts" :smile:

Has Star Trek Discovery been cancelled after the fourth season? I have seen it to around three quarters of the way through Season 2 (I generally watched a few episodes when visiting my brother and his family in Scotland, but I have not been able to get there since November 2019). I was disappointed with Season 1 (and I agree that the Spore Drive was a ridiculous idea), but it improved considerably in Season 2. I do not like the new Klingon style though.

The Walking Dead definitely needs to end now, as it has rather lost its way. Too much "community" stuff for my liking, with the "walkers" almost relegated to background scenery that are nothing more than a mild annoyance. Another point that I would like to make is that Michonne rather lost her "mystery" when she partnered up with Rick. I preferred her character as the "bad a.s.s loner".

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

as the airlock door opens, there is an escape of air into the vacuum. Naomi is sucked out and pushes herself out.

My point is that opening the door to  the vacuum of space would be more like what we saw in “2001 A Space Odyssey”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwvJzcfL1w 

There would have been a violent outrushing of the air and both Naomi and the other person would have been sucked out within a couple of seconds or even sucked against the partly opened doorway and injured. Are there not cases of passengers being sucked out of airliners at cruising altitude? What I see in the clip is Naomi moving to the door as it opens, pausing momentarily until the door is almost open then, after a slight backward motion, launching herself into space, the same way that ski jumpers do to get a fast start out of the gate.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

Galactica was great. Not the best ever for me though. 

Enterprise was awesome. Gutted when they cancelled it. I still have dreams about T'Pol. 😊

Agree with everything else except Picard. I wasn't pleasantly surprised. Well, I was for the first episode, then it was mostly irritatingly bad. How they can transform Picard into  the galaxy's ultimate wimp after being an awesome Federation Captain, god only knows. And I don't buy the "but the Borg experience affected him" excuse. He wouldn't be that transformed. Picard being deliberately written to be dominated by women so they can appear to be "woke" is embarrassing too. Yes, there were some good episodes, so I'm crossing fingers for S2. 

Well, to be fair, Patrick Stewart, and his character, are around 80 years old, so he can't really be a tough Federation Captain anymore.  He's a retired old man off on an adventure.

Yes, the "super intrepid power woman" theme is getting a bit old.  They started doing this back in the 80s actually, that is, portraying women as smart, fearless, strong, and better than men, on television and in movies, but lately it has really gone overboard.  Of course, women can be just as smart and strong as men, and in some cases smarter and stronger, but the way they get portrayed on TV and in movies is just ridiculous sometimes.  I can tolerate this kind of thing as long as the story is decent.  We'll see where it goes.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Cant find a clip of that on YouTube to watch it again

See the end of this clip. I'm not sure why Ashford sinks down after exiting :

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

59 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

My point is that opening the door to  the vacuum of space would be more like what we saw in “2001 A Space Odyssey”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwvJzcfL1w 

There would have been a violent outrushing of the air and both Naomi and the other person would have been sucked out within a couple of seconds or even sucked against the partly opened doorway and injured. Are there not cases of passengers being sucked out of airliners at cruising altitude? What I see in the clip is Naomi moving to the door as it opens, pausing momentarily until the door is almost open then, after a slight backward motion, launching herself into space, the same way that ski jumpers do to get a fast start out of the gate.

I cant really say how violent the depressurization would be in reality, but yes, I suspect you are probably right. As I said, the guy should have been sucked out. I wasn't saying it was 100% realistic, just that they did include, audibly and visually, the depressurization. I guess we have to allow them some artistic licence. 

12 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

He does not sink down. The ship accelerates away behind him.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

58 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Well, to be fair, Patrick Stewart, and his character, are around 80 years old, so he can't really be a tough Federation Captain anymore.  He's a retired old man off on an adventure.

Sure, but in my opinion they over did it. I know plenty of 80 year olds that still have the same basic personality traits. Especially in the 23rd century when anti-aging tech should be advanced. They changed his demeanour completely, way too much. A semblance of that fine, but they went too far.

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

lately it has really gone overboard.  Of course, women can be just as smart and strong as men, and in some cases smarter and stronger, but the way they get portrayed on TV and in movies is just ridiculous sometimes.  I can tolerate this kind of thing as long as the story is decent.  We'll see where it goes.

Yep, agree. Have you seen For All Mankind? Great TV show but the female emphasis is extreme. They kind of have an excuse for it though because its an alternate history, where the Russians put a women on the Moon first so the US are trying to compete. 

Incidentally, there is a fascinating aspect of the show where two individuals have to go onto the Moon's surface to activate backup cooling for a reactor and they have no suits. They have oxygen masks only and wrap Duct Tape all over their bodies. Believe it or not, it could actually work for  limited time.

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Has Star Trek Discovery been cancelled after the fourth season?

Not sure. There is a fourth season as you say, but don't think they've confirmed a fifth.

And yes, the attempt at Klingon's was ridiculous. 

Its one of the shows that I complain about incessantly... but still watch. Same for Picard. 😊 Its Science Fiction, what can I say.

Yeah, singing while in a depressurised airlock is clearly not realistic. No air, thus no pressure waves, thus no sound.