Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Flight Sim Blog - Performance Fix!

I love the Flight Simulator Blog..  They are always on the cutting edge with help and advice.  They did a version of the tree fix that worked really well, and I have never read any nonsense over there - it seems fairly well grounded in fact / logic.

Anyway, they are publishing this finding...

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/03/29/dramatic-performance-drop-workaround/

Go on then...  Who is going to try this first?..  :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

LOL, so you must remove all default airports and only use modded ones? 

That is no different to saying that in order to eliminate aviation accidents, don’t build aircraft. It will work....😁

• Like 3

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

They should stick to fixing the Tree Draw Distance.

However, Bobcat - being a qualified MSFS2020 Test Pilot - I will try it now. . .

If I'm not back here posting in 30 minutes assume the worst.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I think we might be missing the point.  There may be clues here as to what is happening. 

This is for Asobo to fix I know, but people reported some of the symptoms disappearing when they gradually uninstalled the world scenery packs. 

Looks like something needs optimising somewhere for sure.

Just trying this now.  No major drama.  Drag a few folders somewhere else - drop them back later.  Trying Salzburg now, a major pause-fest for me normally.

First time in was a long load until I found steam was updating Xplane in the background and pinching all my bandwidth!  Piece of word not allowed!  (steam, not Xplane). :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

But isn't it the same as P3D with Vanilla scenery or P3D with Orbx England installed? - you're going to take a Frame hit for the latter (typically 15-20 FPS)

Someone has figured out that if you remove complex Airports from the sim in MSFS 2020 you're going to gain frames.

Did we not know that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No Cheese, its not the fact that you are at the complex airports, it is that they are (allegedly) affecting the sim in some way just by being in the scenery folder, even when you are not near them.  Anyway, its inconclusive yet (for me).

Having to restart my PC to test again.  Major bandwidth problems tonight.  If it isn't steam pinching it, its windows update! :unsure:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Okay. I understand.

i've done it - as you said - and the frames are looking a bit snappier than they were.

Going up now and will report back.

(And I BACKED UP the files in to a separate Folder so they can be put back)

• Like 1

I am not doeing this method Dramatic Performance Drop Workaround - Flight Simulator Blog

Today i have a superb flight with a 747-8 from YSSY to WADD beautiful Bali from Aerosoft and i don`t realy saw performance hits that boders me - 5h40mins flighttime no CTD and a dream of a flight

so why i should do this; if it keeps like that i will wait for the next performance update from Asobo, it shure will come.

The other is i have the feeling this 1.14.6.0 performance update did a lot - good job Asobo ! 😎

cheers 😉

Edited by pmplayer
  • Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

If I'm not back here posting in 30 minutes assume the worst.

Godspeed Mr. Cheese.

Not my my machine, but KPDK Dekalb-Peachtree is another performance black-hole (has been prior to SU/WU3 and seems to be a repeatable use-case). Could you please give that a try?

Well my fps and general smoothness was great, but sorry to report it did not cure my Salzburg problem. 
Approach from the south, touch and go in the C172, turn to the right (East) and it is a complete stutter-fest. 
Do the same but turn to the left, west of the airport, and it is dead smooth. 

Go back to the East of the City and the dreaded pauses come back again.  It is showing the usual 'manipulators' problem with GPU dropping to zero utilisation for seconds at a time.  Sometimes difficult to get back to the menu even (Esc key) it is that bad.

Maybe it is a different issue and the scenery is broken in this area.  It used to be one of my favourite flights and was dead smooth a few months ago - it's a pity.

So, I moved the scenery files back as the Salzburg runway looked like a roller-coaster with them removed.  :unsure:  Nothing else to do but wait for Asobo to fix it I suppose.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Back on the ground with Engines off. 

It does fly better wth this Fix bobcat, definitely - reckon I had 5-8 FPS better than I had. (and that's the difference between Yellow and Green and NOT being limited by Main Thread)

Nice one bobcat - it certainly works a treat.

DylanM - go try it - just back up the folder before you do - so if it doesn't work for you, you can come back to where you were.

We are all Virtual Aviator Pioneers - in this new synthetic Environment.

I'm so glad my Copilot came along for the ride;

yjghjg.png

• Like 3

@Will Fly For Cheese  Well... At least your co-pilot cheered me up! 

I think it is fairly obvious we are looking at more complex issues here, with many factors causing different performance issues. Maybe interlinked, or maybe not. 

Asobo must be pulling their hair out trying to trace them - obviously not easy or they would have done it by now.

I wonder what they found at 76T?  They fixed that up well.

• Like 1

@bobcat999 why not try the "Cheese Fix". Remember the problems Bob had on the weekend .

Something about removing the fs-base-nav folder and let the sim update it.

Just maybe ...

• Like 1

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

10 minutes ago, SAPilot said:

@bobcat999 why not try the "Cheese Fix". Remember the problems Bob had on the weekend .

Something about removing the fs-base-nav folder and let the sim update it.

Just maybe ...

Thanks!  I will take a look.