Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Numpad useful for MSFS

Hey,

I am looking for a new keyboard and was wondering if I should buy this time one that has no numpad. The reason for that is because it's smaller in size. However, I am wondering if a numpad might be useful for msfs? When I used EZdoc back in the days, it was useful.

Is a numpad necessary or could I have the same comfort with different methods?

If you will use your keyboard as fly controller then it is probably necessary, otherwise not, I'm using a small keyboard myself.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Perhaps a smaller footprint keyboard without a numpad plus an auxiliary keypad that is moved somewhere away so that it fits.

A programmable numpad is also very easy to set up (because it can type keyboard combinations like Shift Z).

Jxwm4ym.jpg

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have a mechanical keyboard nerd numpad that runs the QMK custom keyboard firmware that I need to dig out and program with a few custom keybinds for AP stuff.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Numpad is very useful for quick access of cockpit camera's / views - for me it's a no brainer, I'm using the numpad all the time!

• Like 3

I agree with @TheJAG, it's a great place to put various views (instead of say CTRL-1 or ALT-1, etc.), especially for VR users who can much more easily use them "in the blind".  Plus it's a good idea to delete all control surface mapping (and not just on the keypad) if you're not using the keyboard to fly with (and who does that??), so you don't hit them accidentally and make your plane do unexpected things.

I would 100% get a num pad keyboard. I reassigned my custom views 0-9 to the num pad keys just like X-Plane uses, and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. Super easy to switch views.

• Like 1

You can buy a simple numpad and configure with https://www.autohotkey.com/

It's very simple to use. 

1pc:WIN11/64, MSFS,PF3,TRacKir5,SPAD Next,FSUIPC 7,GSX
I7-12700KF/32Gb DDR4 3600MHz/ASUS ROG 2070 SUPER OC/GEKOGS105/Alpha Flight Control/CH throttle,Ped/SAITEK InstR/Radio Panel
2pc:WIN10 LNM,remote text program,pf3 display

9 hours ago, 737_800 said:

Hey,

I am looking for a new keyboard and was wondering if I should buy this time one that has no numpad. The reason for that is because it's smaller in size. However, I am wondering if a numpad might be useful for msfs? When I used EZdoc back in the days, it was useful.

Is a numpad necessary or could I have the same comfort with different methods?

I use my numpad all the time. Also useful for other games or sim's. Better to have incase you need it. Maybe someone will make and EZdoc type program, etc... I came from a none Numpad keyboard and don't think I would ever NOT have a Numpad on a gaming machine. Laptop for weight or size is different.

Of course, bottom line, it is up to you to choose.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

You have to weigh the pros and cons, personally I do not have room for a full-size keyboard and I have 95% of all commands i use programmed on my yoke and throttle so I don't need it.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

34 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I use the number pad for custom views.  I actually purchased a separate USB numberpad just for this purpose.

Me too, when I was flying the Q400 in P3D with Chaseplane (deleted all default numpad assignements and made it a Chaseplane only controller)! 😃 It was far more convenient to have that numpad on the left of me instead of on the right (of the keyboard). It was also simply nice being able to position it wherever I wanted it. I don't use that numpad with MSFS at this moment because I hardly use the keyboard anyway (for views) but whenever something like Chaseplane gets released for MSFS I might connect that little numpad to my PC again and make good use of it. (Take note that a regular seperate numpad simply mirrors the numpad on the keyboard so don't expect to get a load of extra buttons when you buy one! 😉 )

I have a Belkin Nostromo that was a very useful tool until MS killed it by making it incompatible with Windows 10.

LouP

I am using the numpad to easily set throttle in the TBM for example. 1 = 10% - 9 = 90%. Works quite well for FLC descents or climbs.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11