Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Man, this sim has problems but sometimes...

Been flying around the Caribbean lately, doing stuff like touch and go's at St. Barts and generally making a pest of myself to the virtual people in virtual houses as I overfly them over and over again. Hope they didn't get a picture of my tail number.

I gotta say, flying like that in this sim is hands down better than any other I've used, and I've used pretty much all of them. I still run P3d when I want to do complex airliners (sorry to the CRJ, it's great but PMDG/Leonardo are still better) but for VFR flying, there's just no equal. I'm looking forward to about 2 or 3 years from now when the sim has matured a lot. I bet it's gonna be absolutely spectacular.

• Like 14

Same situation for me , i also  have p3d still firmly installed but after a test ride (even if extremely "different" from how I'm used ESPECIALLY for airlines), I recognize that not only in terms of graphics but also in other respects if well managed it could really be the future....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eslader said:

Been flying around the Caribbean lately, doing stuff like touch and go's at St. Barts and generally making a pest of myself to the virtual people in virtual houses as I overfly them over and over again. Hope they didn't get a picture of my tail number.

I gotta say, flying like that in this sim is hands down better than any other I've used, and I've used pretty much all of them. I still run P3d when I want to do complex airliners (sorry to the CRJ, it's great but PMDG/Leonardo are still better) but for VFR flying, there's just no equal. I'm looking forward to about 2 or 3 years from now when the sim has matured a lot. I bet it's gonna be absolutely spectacular.

I fly out of St Julianna Sint Maarten a lot with the Payware airport scenery and the boats addon from Orbx.  Great place to potter about in the floaty Xcub.  

• Like 1

How do floating planes behave on msfs ? I've never tried small planes before and the floating ones particularly grab my attention

More than happy with the state of the sim now but the anticipation of what’s to come is the real excitement.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

18 minutes ago, Ben Humler said:

How do floating planes behave on msfs ? I've never tried small planes before and the floating ones particularly grab my attention

Not much interaction with the water, i.e. no wakes etc, when you port them in the water rudder doesn't seem particularly effective either, but they do at least take off and land okay:

5HgqGFE.png

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

More than happy with the state of the sim now but the anticipation of what’s to come is the real excitement.

If you are wanting to use them to train for landing a real life float plane or your self esteem revolves around telling your friends your sim aircraft fly "exactly like a real one", then maybe not as the water effects and physics are not really modelled properly just yet. 

HOWEVER  if you just want something for a bit of fun that has the versatility to land on water, they land and take off just fine.  Seaplane airports are not a thing yet, but the work around for that is land on the water at the spot you want to use as your regular departure and save a flight. When you load that flight you will be on the water ready to takeoff.

Do not just listen to our impressions though, the Xcub mod is freeware from bush legends, just download it and try it.

• Like 1

For me the absolute deal breaker is the lack of offline AI Traffic like we have in P3D, it's the ultimate immersion killer. 
Once it gets sorted it's going to be amazing

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruno138 said:

For me the absolute deal breaker is the lack of offline AI Traffic like we have in P3D, it's the ultimate immersion killer. 
Once it gets sorted it's going to be amazing

I don't know if I did something wrong, but during my first flight I think I had active online traffic, without atc or other things in an arrival airport I found other planes taking off (or I was landing on them?i was on an airbus) although it was not one of the most plausible situations I must admit that seeing so many other people online on the "map" has amused me a lot, I think it is one of the things that I like most about msfs to see so many people engaged in aviation activities. 

If I talked to my friends about "how realistic it seems to me msfs " they would probably spit on me and not invite me to their rallies (real aviation is often more ruthless than simulated one , i learned on my skin 😉), every time I talk about msfs is for my  sincere curiosity and not to compare it to real flights. (which frankly I can't take it anymore , be embarked on a glider with pilots of "dubious" competence  🤣 that's why I prefer airliners as a passenger and virtual pilot)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chock said:

Not much interaction with the water, i.e. no wakes etc, when you port them in the water rudder doesn't seem particularly effective either, but they do at least take off and land okay:

5HgqGFE.png

I used to fly in and out of Hood Lake in Anchorage, in P3D and a couple of times in real life in a C 182 with the float kit. Flying a float plane is a trip.  Haven't looked at Lake Hood in MSFS 2020 yet. That is the biggest seaplane base in the world, I believe. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

10 minutes ago, Ben Humler said:

If I talked to my friends about "how realistic it seems to me msfs " they would probably spit on me and not invite me to their rallies (real aviation is often more ruthless than simulated one , i learned on my skin 😉), every time I talk about msfs is for my  sincere curiosity and not to compare it to real flights. (which frankly I can't take it anymore , be embarked on a glider with pilots of "dubious" competence  🤣 that's why I prefer airliners as a passenger and virtual pilot)

I have been invited to fly with a couple of pilots, and after watching them preflight the plane, I decided to go home telling them I had a headache. Half assed pilots scare me. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:
20 minutes ago, Ben Humler said:

I have been invited to fly with a couple of pilots, and after watching them preflight the plane, I decided to go home telling them I had a headache. Half assed pilots scare me. 

You have spared yourself the best part .... being terrified in the back seat and answering "yes it's okay" during certain maneuvers that I wouldn't have done even in a simulation game! 😅

15 hours ago, Chock said:

when you port them in the water rudder doesn't seem particularly effective either

The water rudder doesn't do much in the included Icon either. You have to get up enough speed that the (air) rudder is effective before you can turn much.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:26 AM, Bobsk8 said:

I used to fly in and out of Hood Lake in Anchorage, in P3D and a couple of times in real life in a C 182 with the float kit. Flying a float plane is a trip.  Haven't looked at Lake Hood in MSFS 2020 yet. That is the biggest seaplane base in the world, I believe. 

Lake Hood was here at the beginning but have been left out with patch #2. What a shame !
(or perhaps a partners is working on it and MS has remove it to increase future sells...)

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

11 minutes ago, nirgal76 said:

Lake Hood was here at the beginning but have been left out with patch #2. What a shame !
(or perhaps a partners is working on it and MS has remove it to increase future sells...)

https://flightsim.to/file/2041/lake-hood-airport

• Like 1