Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

White overly bright help

Is this a monitor thing or a MSFS thing?  I've just got a "regular "Asus 23" 1080P monitor.  Usually when I'm above a high layer the white on my aircraft is unbearably white.  Like the highlights are blown or something.

Does anyone else have this?  Is there a setting in the sim I can change?

51015949160_8926956439_o.pnghighlights by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yep - the answer seems to be this is how it really is - but I think if can definitely be toned down a bit for the sake of simulator view relief!!

Hello,

DId you calibrate your monitor ? do you use an icc profile ?

Simple check  :
Dark shadows : can you differentiate black from 1%, 2%, or can you only see 3% and more ?
Highlights : can you differentiate white from 95 %, 98 %, 99% ?

If yes, I do not know what you could do !

I use displaycal, a freeware, and a spyder sensor ! I rebuild my icc profiles every 6 months.

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Is this a monitor thing or a MSFS thing?  I've just got a "regular "Asus 23" 1080P monitor.  Usually when I'm above a high layer the white on my aircraft is unbearably white.  Like the highlights are blown or something.

Does anyone else have this?  Is there a setting in the sim I can change?

highlights by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Ryan did you turn off bloom in the MSFS graphics settings. It may tone it down somewhat!

• Like 1

tpewpb-6.png

The brightness issue has come up before in another thread.  Seems like the argument is that this is the way it is in real life.  That's why pilots are usually wearing sunglasses on a bright day.  Which spawned the idea that I am in favor of which is a sunglasses mod.  I think it would work well.  There are some aircraft that have tinted glass and the view through the glass is much enhanced as it is with a nice pair of sunglasses irl.  I'm surprised it hasn't come to fruition yet.

LouP

I think its really realistic, at that hight the sun is so bright when it hits white paint.

Try turning bloom off.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

My experience ; if you turn off bloom - the sun looks round an unrealistic white dot - sort of destroys the immersion a little. There is no slider to adjust bloom within the Simulator that I can see  - unfortunately /

The implementation of DX12 may bring about a choice of bloom strength adjustment - we will have to wait and see.

You can also try changing ColorGrading in config file from 1 to 0 for more realistic to life scenery with less contrast and less saturated colors.

• Upvote 1

Gaming Laptop:
MSI GS75 Stealth 5.6GHz Intel Core i9 - 10th gen 16 core CPU  -  32 GB DDR4 SDRAM  - 1TB SSD - RTX 2080 Super - 1920x1080 - 3 fans and cooling pipes.

6 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I think its really realistic, at that hight the sun is so bright when it hits white paint.

Try turning bloom off.

Bloom is already off....  it must be my monitor then.  I get people wear sunglasses but in that pic it's not horrible cause there's some white clouds at the bottom to meter the image a little better.  Without the clouds and a blue sky you almost can't see the paint on the side of the fuselage.  I'll screw around with some settings.

My monitor is also NOT calibrated.  Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Bloom is already off....  it must be my monitor then.  I get people wear sunglasses but in that pic it's not horrible cause there's some white clouds at the bottom to meter the image a little better.  Without the clouds and a blue sky you almost can't see the paint on the side of the fuselage.  I'll screw around with some settings.

My monitor is also NOT calibrated.  Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

try this one

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/monitor-calibration.htm

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip