First of all, I want to commend the devs for Little NavMap on an incredible job for this software. It's rapidly become my go-to for flight planning and tracking while flying in MSFS 2020 (I have it handy on my iPad via spacedesk app). I love how I can easily implement the flight plan into MSFS2020 as well as the FMS on aircraft (at least on the TBM-930 so far, haven't flown others yet).

I'm still learning my way around it, but I made a critical error in my last flight in that I didn't have enough fuel to get to my destination. I thought I followed the suggestion of the Fuel Report tab pretty good, until I realized I didn't account for the weight of my co-pilot.

So, if I may, I'd like to request a new feature to be added into Little NavMap for fuel calculations to include input for passengers and/or cargo. I understand if this is not feasible, I'm no developer, but I hope it is and that this request would be considered.

Blue skies!

(Edit: Grammar)

Edited by CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger

I already have this in mind but it's not easy. The program is getting more and more complicated to maintain (and also to use). First and best would be to add different flight levels to the calculation.

The TBM should not give much differences depending on load. The co-pilot did certainly not cause the out of fuel. The main factors are cruise altitude, power settings and wind.

Did you add sufficient reserve and contingency fuel? I usually use an hour of cruise fuel flow as reserve and the recommended five percent contingency in the aircraft perf. Not perfect but good enough for GA. Also enable the wind downloads from NOAA since these are considered in the fuel calculation and can cause big differences (provided the simulator uses roughly the same winds aloft).

You can create difference profiles for different cruise altitude ranges. This might help a bit too. But weight is not so important except for airliners, as far as I've seen.

Also compare the fuel flow and TAS at cruise level (in LNM progress tab) with the fuel and speed in the performance profile and adapt if needed.

Alex

If I could advise, the best thing is collect performance data from flights with max weight (MTOW)** and write them as a reference in performance file. Then other flights with the same or lesser weight will be (almost) always secure. 
Always better have got more fuel than necessary than later fly as the "Gimli Glider"  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider and 5th season/2nd episode of Air Crash Investigations series if someone is interested in) 🙂

Regards,
Piotr

[edit]

**and performed on medium flight level, with max available speed to get max fuel flow for given aircraft (but I think it's clear for everyone) 

Edited by ppgas
  • Like 1

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).

Wow, thanks! That’s a lot of info to parse but I definitely understand where you’re coming from.

I’m still new-ish to the sim and LNM (owned about a month) but I’m learning a lot...and fast.  I understood the basic principles of flight and the most critical elements of it (been interested in flight since I was toddler flying with my Dad in his Grumman Tiger), but I had no idea how deep the rabbit hole went.

To be fair, I was pushing it a bit with the TBM flying a route of nearly 1000nm. It’s very handy and nice of the folks at Daher to make their handbook available online. I’ve been referencing the charts within for efficient flying but still making sense of it.

Most of my current learning consists of the myriad functions of autopilot and approaches. I love how you have LNM build in an approach into the flight plan as well as calculating the route. That adds so much to the realism. 

Look for a donation soon. 

Edited by CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger
Stupid autocorrect!

14 minutes ago, CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger said:

To be fair, I was pushing it a bit with the TBM flying a route of nearly 1000nm. It’s very handy and nice of the folks at Daher to make their handbook available online. I’ve been referencing the charts within for efficient flying but still making sense of it.

1000NM was quite nice distance for TBM-930 🙂 in reference to its max range ~1500NM (according to NBAA IFR Range standard).
During such long flights it's necessary take headwind component (if any) into consideration during flight time calculation (what implies minimum fuel calculation).
But as Alex wrote, easier add proper contingency fuel (5% minimum, but IMHO 10% is better value when very strong enroute headwind exists).

Regards,
Piotr

Never give up ...  - here are details of the whip-round: https://zrzutka.pl/en/pewr2d  -> to help my younger son fights against Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (blood cancer).