Sign in to follow this  
yvjjflores

Captain Sim Releases 737 Classic for P3D

From looking at the earlier French video it appears that the flight control sensitivity needs some work.
Think I will wait this out for a while.

Cheers

Steve Hall

On 4/1/2021 at 11:59 PM, Peter Z KCLE_EDDN said:

Couple of shots. Forgive me, I’m not a good screenshot taker. 

Nice pics, Peter. Since you have tried it (I guess), what features do you miss from this plane?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Bought this yesterday. I had a lot of fun. Random observations:

- Cruising altitude knob turns, but doesn't change numbers (overhead panel)

- Flaps sound is horrendous

- Lack of PBR textures was initially jarring, but then seems kinda ok. I am not gonna be bothered TOO much

- My first CS purchase. Their customer service is pretty awful. Their ancient web store doesn't let you create an account before you purchase. If you DO purchase and use PayPal it will forever register your purchase under whatever e-mail address you use for PayPal. If it's NOT the e-mail address you typically use, you are out of luck. I e-mailed them and politely asked for them to change the e-mail address on my account so that it would be the same address I use for every purchase with all vendors. Today I got an e-mail basically saying it won't be done and too bad. It liked to their forum post where they explain that should you ever lose access to your e-mail address you used for purchasing this, it's not their responsibility and they won't do anything to change your registered e-mail address. They further go on about how they are TEMPORARILY providing their customers access for downloading the product after the first time. I understand some things being asked of devs are unreasonable and are a lot of work, but a fairly minor admin adjustment like your e-mail address should be fine. It basically sends a message that they won't lift a finger for their customers if it even remotely inconveniences them. That's pretty s*&&&y. That being said, I DO back up all of my downloaded installers, but this whole thing just left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I do enjoy the aircraft and am thinking about getting the rest of their P3D v5 stuff, but I wish I liked them more as a company. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Cruising altitude knob turns, but doesn't change numbers (overhead panel)

You need to click the knob (forgot if it was left or right click) then scroll the knob. It's a weird knob system, but it's been there since their 737-200.

Flaps sound is horrendous

Yes.

Lack of PBR textures was initially jarring, but then seems kinda ok. I am not gonna be bothered TOO much

I'm assuming they didn't want to go through the trouble of remaking their textures into albedo metallic and normals and new PBR materials for their model because it was already taken from the -200.

I do enjoy the aircraft and am thinking about getting the rest of their P3D v5 stuff

Really, I suggest you get the L-1011 only. The 757/767 hasn't been updated in a couple of months (although I think CS is quite a small company in Ukraine if i remember) and they both have glaring model geometry shape issues as well as general system quirks. CS has been great with older, classic style aircraft but in terms of aircraft with any type of FMS or VNAV.... eh... I don't bother. Things like wind uplink isn't programmed in the FMC. Their modelling team hasn't been great with the 757/767 series, as the throttle base is actually the 777 throttle quadrant, not the 757/767 throttle quadrant. As well as they taking the 757 cockpit model and putting it into the 767 (there are actually some differences between the two despite that most people say there's no difference except for the overhead). They also put winglets on the 767-200 back in FS2004/FSX. 

I suggest that if you are ever going to get any CS products, just wait for them to release their 707 and 727. Their other products are "fine" but at the price point their asking for... I don't think it's worth it. And do not expect PBR from CS unless they're remaking the entire 3D model. If i were to guess, they are probably going to just rip the 707 model again and just port it to P3D v5 without any PBR. 

Edited by arwasairl

12 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

You need to click the knob (forgot if it was left or right click) then scroll the knob. It's a weird knob system, but it's been there since their 737-200.

Yes.

I'm assuming they didn't want to go through the trouble of remaking their textures into albedo metallic and normals and new PBR materials for their model because it was already taken from the -200.

Really, I suggest you get the L-1011 only. The 757/767 hasn't been updated in a couple of months (although I think CS is quite a small company in Ukraine if i remember) and they both have glaring model geometry shape issues as well as general system quirks. CS has been great with older, classic style aircraft but in terms of aircraft with any type of FMS or VNAV.... eh... I don't bother. Things like wind uplink isn't programmed in the FMC. Their modelling team hasn't been great with the 757/767 series, as the throttle base is actually the 777 throttle quadrant, not the 757/767 throttle quadrant. As well as they taking the 757 cockpit model and putting it into the 767 (there are actually some differences between the two despite that most people say there's no difference except for the overhead). They also put winglets on the 767-200 back in FS2004/FSX. 

I suggest that if you are ever going to get any CS products, just wait for them to release their 707 and 727. Their other products are "fine" but at the price point their asking for... I don't think it's worth it. And do not expect PBR from CS unless they're remaking the entire 3D model. If i were to guess, they are probably going to just rip the 707 model again and just port it to P3D v5 without any PBR. 

Good to know... Thing is... The L-1011 doesn't have FMC, from what I understand. I'd have a hell of a time trying to navigate with that thing as I have no idea how to navigate an airliner that doesn't have a GPS system you can program from SimBrief. 😉 Not that I am not willing to learn or anything, but it seems DAUNTING flying that thing. 

Another thing is... JustFlight has L-1011 as well. I wonder if one is better than the other. 

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Good to know... Thing is... The L-1011 doesn't have FMC, from what I understand. I'd have a hell of a time trying to navigate with that thing as I have no idea how to navigate an airliner that doesn't have a GPS system you can program from SimBrief. 😉 Not that I am not willing to learn or anything, but it seems DAUNTING flying that thing. 

Another thing is... JustFlight has L-1011 as well. I wonder if one is better than the other. 

I own both. I think the JustFlight one is better, though take my opinion with a pinch of salt as I don’t have a lot of L-1011 sim experience.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I can't get over the ridiculously low-resolution textures of the Justflight L-1011.  When you can't even read the switch labels in the FE panel, it's worrying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Thing is... The L-1011 doesn't have FMC, from what I understand

L1011, while only produced in 250 airframes had significant upgrades in its production run

Initially standard vertical gyros  (bank angle + atittude) and directional gyros (aircraft heading) was provided. VOR to VOR navigation only...

This was followed by triple INS installations, which managed lateral navigation by Lat/Lon coordinate inputs, (either the Delco Carousel or Litton92..latter was much more advanced, could hold 10x the waypoints compared to the Carousel).

Also the odd Omega VLF (long range radio nav) installations could be found. OMEGA radio stations were shutdown in 1998 I think...

In the late 70's an FMS was available and it could be interfaced to the INS while providing performance calculations and engine management. So that package would be your LNAV/VNAV solution. 

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

2 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

If you're willing to learn, it's really quite charming, elegant, and simple.  I just picked up the CS L-1011, and incidentally the CS 707 for FSX, the L-1011 seems to have a functioning CIVA, although I've yet to put it through its paces, and I'm way in over my head with the 707.  I got the hang of the Delco Carousel INS from the FJS 72 and 73 in X-Plane, and my wife is always very impressed when she sees me using my TI-89 calculator from calculus class in high school and college just to convert lat/long coordinates from one format to another.  VOR-to-VOR is also quite fun, but I'm struggling with how to effectively plan a VOR-to-VOR flight, there's no SimBrief for that type of flight planning as far as I'm aware, and I'm not educated enough to do it myself with any degree of confidence that I've done it the way that they used to.

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

9 minutes ago, cmorg said:

If you're willing to learn, it's really quite charming, elegant, and simple.  I just picked up the CS L-1011, and incidentally the CS 707 for FSX, the L-1011 seems to have a functioning CIVA, although I've yet to put it through its paces, and I'm way in over my head with the 707.  I got the hang of the Delco Carousel INS from the FJS 72 and 73 in X-Plane, and my wife is always very impressed when she sees me using my TI-89 calculator from calculus class in high school and college just to convert lat/long coordinates from one format to another.  VOR-to-VOR is also quite fun, but I'm struggling with how to effectively plan a VOR-to-VOR flight, there's no SimBrief for that type of flight planning as far as I'm aware, and I'm not educated enough to do it myself with any degree of confidence that I've done it the way that they used to.

I am willing to give it a shot. The CS one is only $50, and the JF one is on sale right now for $32. I will probably go for CS cause they seem to be a little deeper in systems and their stuff looks better. 

VOR to VOR? The default flight planner in P3D offers that option, though I can’t say I have tried it.

3 hours ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

That's fine. I don't really fly much classic aircraft besides the Concorde so I barely have any need for CS's products. But in my experience, if you're ever going to get any CS product, just don't get any add-on from CS that has an FMS or VNAV. It's limited in features compared to other add-ons at it's price point, so if you're looking for a 757 / 767, I would just use X-Plane and the FlightFactor series of products. They're not the best, but it's better than CS imo. 

The CS has an INS so you don't have to do VOR to VOR navigation, but the L-1011 doesn't have any VNAV so you'll have to control speed, climb and descent manually. 

Edited by arwasairl
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

That's fine. I don't really fly much classic aircraft besides the Concorde so I barely have any need for CS's products. But in my experience, if you're ever going to get any CS product, just don't get any add-on from CS that has an FMS or VNAV. It's limited in features compared to other add-ons at it's price point, so if you're looking for a 757 / 767, I would just use X-Plane and the FlightFactor series of products. They're not the best, but it's better than CS imo. 

The CS has an INS so you don't have to do VOR to VOR navigation, but the L-1011 doesn't have any VNAV so you'll have to control speed, climb and descent manually. 

I can control those. It has an autopilot, and I am used to doing things like that with CRJ. I may pick this up as soon as I get a handle on the TDFi 717 I just bought.

4 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

I am willing to give it a shot. The CS one is only $50, and the JF one is on sale right now for $32. I will probably go for CS cause they seem to be a little deeper in systems and their stuff looks better. 

VOR to VOR? The default flight planner in P3D offers that option, though I can’t say I have tried it.

I saw the JF sale before I bought the CS, but from what I read, the CS came out ahead in systems which was important to me.  I haven't spent enough time in it to really speak to the actual depth.  Honestly, I've never used the default P3D flight planner, but I would love to have some resources on how airliner flight plans used to be constructed when VOR-to-VOR was the norm.  

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

Hi all, 

Here's what's happening. I was following the flight plan and then ATC directed me to turn away from it for a bit... So I did. Eventually, it directed me to reconnect back to my old path. On newer Boeings there is a DIRECT TO, but this one doesn't seem to offer such an option, so my option was to just use HDG to return to the path and select LNAV so it would intercept it. HOWEVER...

If you do that, no matter which angle I intercept it on, the FMC tells me I am not on intercept heading and even if I cross the flight path (tried it at nearly 90 degrees, tried it at 10 degrees, tried at about 2 degrees and even in the same heading as the path), it doesn't seem to reactivate LNAV. Since I bypassed the next waypoint on the Legs page, I deleted that point and just had the next one coming up listed. But no such luck. Eventually, it seemed to resume LNAV somewhere close on approach but it it didn't really follow the path and just started heading in some what seems like random direction. So I had to fly the rest of approach using manual HDG. 

Any ideas?

In the Boeing FMC, there is no DIRECT TO button, as you've indicated: on the FMC, you have to select the waypoint you want (push the left line select key next to the name) so that it appears in the scratchpad. You then click on the current waypoint (the top one) to replace it with the waypoint you selected. You'll then have to execute the command.

See this short (31 second) YouTube clip for a real world example with a 747 FMC. Same concept in the 737, though.

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB)