Sign in to follow this  
craigeaglefire

64GB does make a difference for MFS!

some simple 4K tests - using HWiNFO with 32GB RAM (notice Page File Usage 6.9%)..

jOH7HFp.png

& with new 64GB - hammering at FSDT KORD (0% Page File Usage & 35+ GB Physical Memory Used)

w7cQdKM.png

4K KORD FSDT example screenshot (35GB RAM usage)...

GMNlhur.jpg

HWiNFO will show whether you are page filing or not - very easy to check...

• Like 2

Yes, I also noticed stuttering decreased from 11.3333 stutters per minute to 109.5454 stutters every 10 minutes. And my case is much brighter with 4 RGB sticks 🙂

• Like 6

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

And how about the fps or stutters?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I would think having faster RAM makes a bigger difference but could be wrong.

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

8 minutes ago, canadiantree said:

I would think having faster RAM makes a bigger difference but could be wrong.

That depends on the whole platform but memory speed is important as well, but not as much as the amount. As long as you have enough RAM it should not matter whether you have 32GB or 64GB, but I have seen MSFS using close to 28GB of RAM. The OS and other software is using RAM as well, so in those instances the system will rely on virtual memory to keep running, which could cause stutters.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

the simple trick is to see Page File Usage,

if it is more than 0% - you are using SSD or HDD for memory requirements (which is relatively slow)...

• Like 1

How come my system has never used more than 15 GB RAM ?

My 8GB of VRAM maxes out first and the sim drops to a crawl.

Typically my RAM is 15GB, Pagefile is 10 to 12 GB, and my VRAM I try to keep below 7.

I have 32GB of system RAM, so I think it is designed to use the Pagefile anyway.

It rarely changes.

Edited by Gabe777

Or are you suggesting that 64GB system RAM, and then disabling the Pagefile may improve performance?

That may make sense.

Edited by Gabe777

i have order 2 extra sticks , it could be wise to get 64gb for future addons in MSFS,

a have 32gb ram and 24gb vram , usage 26.5 gb ram and 14gb vram in  MSFS  and normally 1.8% page file usage

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

How come my system has never used more than 15 GB RAM ?

are you using HWiNFO to monitor?

& it should be noted that my 64GB RAM case scenario shows 35GB physical RAM usage - & there is zero 0% page file usage - & whilst there is plenty of virtual memory committed...

as I understand it now, W10 always utilises virtual memory system - but with plenty of physical RAM, it does not resort to slower page file usage...

but when using only 32GB or less RAM with MFS - one can tweak W10 virtual memory settings for better performance...

my finding is that 64GB actual RAM is the sweet spot for optimal MFS memory management performance.

51 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

are you using HWiNFO to monitor?

& it should be noted that my 64GB RAM case scenario shows 35GB physical RAM usage - & there is zero 0% page file usage - & whilst there is plenty of virtual memory committed...

as I understand it now, W10 always utilises virtual memory system - but with plenty of physical RAM, it does not resort to slower page file usage...

but when using only 32GB or less RAM with MFS - one can tweak W10 virtual memory settings for better performance...

my finding is that 64GB actual RAM is the sweet spot for optimal MFS memory management performance.

After the beta I upgrade to 64 gb and since happy 🙂

• Like 2

André

Not surprised in the least at this.  Theres a stigma out there that the vast majority of games and applications will not make use anywhere near 32gb ram.   Flight sims, and specifically MSFS is a megabeast with everything thats going on and all the scenery.  So if its there, it makes sense it will eat it all up since its faster than page file and reading off even the fastest of SSD's.   10 years ago, 8gb  was way overkill.   Then it was 16gb.   After 32 gb was just insane and a waste of money.   Welcome to a new era. In some years from now we will be talking about installing 128gb. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

More RAM you add,more it will be used...

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

17 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

In some years from now we will be talking about installing 128gb. 

I'm thinking a few years down the road there will be 2-3 Terabytes of RAM built into the CPU's architecture with the only latency to consider would be the time it took to move the data the few nanometers from the core to the memory address....no busses or interfaces slowing it down.  Your entire Windows session and MSFS could be loaded into instantaneous memory. 🙂 

But sadly, even all those years from now...we still won't be able to buy a GPU for simming/gaming (at retail or even close to it) so we'd all STILL be stuck on 1080s, 2070s, a few 30 series and some old AMDs while the crypto-miners owned all the new 6000-7000 series video cards. 🙄  I'm seeing 3090s on Cragislist for $4000....just insane...but I bet a miner would pick it up and calculate he'd have to mine for 3 weeks to cover the 4k on his 30 GPU rig...then its pure profit after that.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Or are you suggesting that 64GB system RAM, and then disabling the Pagefile may improve performance?

That may make sense.

Do NOT disable the page file. Even with loads of RAM, disabling the page file can cause system instability and crashes.

https://www.howtogeek.com/199990/should-i-disable-the-page-file-if-my-computer-has-a-lot-of-ram/

...jim

PS. Search "Should I disable the page file" for lots more articles on why it is a bad idea.

Edited by JimBrown
  • Like 4

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.