Sign in to follow this  
craigeaglefire

64GB does make a difference for MFS!

1 minute ago, JimBrown said:

Do NOT disable the page file. Even with loads of RAM, disabling the page file can cause system instability and crashes.

https://www.howtogeek.com/199990/should-i-disable-the-page-file-if-my-computer-has-a-lot-of-ram/

...jim

Well I agree totally.

So I'm bewildered how the guy above is getting zero Pagefile use.

I always find my RAM maxes at 15 to 16 and Pagefile around 10 to 12.

Never seen it above 15 to 16, but I use Medium High settings, unlike so many that whack all sliders to right, 4K rez and whinge about getting 20 fps with a 3090Ti, a billion GB of RAM and a i11000 at 8.5 Ghz on liquid N2 ! 🤣🤣🤣

😉🙄🙈

7 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

So I'm bewildered how the guy above is getting zero Pagefile use

That is a percentage, to one significant digit. It would very much depend on how large the page file actually is. If it is small, it would show a higher percentage. If it is large, it would show a lower percentage. Large enough, and even though the page file is being used for a few things, it would show 0.0%, even if it was actually 0.04%.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

There is an avsim discussion about 64GB and 3090 with lots of comments and feedback:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

DDR5 coming soon then 64GB would be minimal for this sim. As for pagefile adjust as you want unless you turn it off which you don't even do with 64 gigs as I've found via BSOD.

I still remember my dad and I heading to the computer store for my birthday, to upgrade our computer from 8MB of RAM to 16MB, so I could play NASCAR Racing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I noticed that when I upgraded from 16GB to 32GB I had around 80 euros less in my pockets. 
But 16 more gigs of ram!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

@Scottoest And I remember mine getting back home with a non-standard 64KB extension cartridge for the ZX81 🙂

PS: those who don't know this computer, it was shipping with 1KB RAM and the official extension was 16KB max.

Edited by RXP
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

5 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

I still remember my dad and I heading to the computer store for my birthday, to upgrade our computer from 8MB of RAM to 16MB, so I could play NASCAR Racing.

We just installed a new genetics server at work with 1.5TB of ECC ram. The motherboard would take 3TB but that would have meant going to LRDIMM .

The old server has 512GB but was crashing on big runs as it would run out of ram.

In reality the problem was actually poorly optimised code but it was cheaper to spend $45,000 on a new server with more ram than pay to have the code optimised.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RXP said:

@Scottoest And I remember mine getting back home with a non-standard 64KB extension cartridge for the ZX80 🙂

That's SLIGHTLY before my time, but not by as much as I'd like to admit, lol.

Ahh, the good old days of managing HIMEM.sys, and IRQ port conflicts.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 3:24 AM, craigeaglefire said:

the simple trick is to see Page File Usage,

if it is more than 0% - you are using SSD or HDD for memory requirements (which is relatively slow)...

Irrelevant if your not getting any additional fps.

When I was a kid we had a garage sale Epson 8088 that I wanted to play Flight Simulator 2.1 on (this was probably 1994 or 95, we went through a series of out of date garage sale PCs before my parents finally decided it was worth the $$$ to get a brand new up to date PC in ~1997). 

The sim would crash with memory access errors.

I use debug.exe to run a simple memory test and determined which bank of the 640KB had the failure.  I swapped around the chips on the motherboard to prove I had isolated the bad bank.

My dad asked a local computer store about it.  They gave him at no cost a whole bag of DIP RAM chips that they had pulled from other 8088s and had sitting on the shelf collecting dust, since the machine was long past its time at that point.

I replaced the chip and off I went with Flight Sim 2.1...  Also my first PC repair.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 3

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Vic20 alumni represent!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

7 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

Irrelevant if your not getting any additional fps.

smooother (less micro-stutters & long pauses) & more FPS - particularly noticeable in VR...

On 4/1/2021 at 8:22 AM, filou said:

More RAM you add,more it will be used...

yup, when I went from 16gb to 32gb MSFS started using more. And no difference in performance.

• Like 1