Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

FSX Really Flying Now! - How I Achieved It.

Hi Manny.Actually, all the FSX runways and taxiways and flattens are rounded to fit the curvature of the earth. A great departure from FS9 and earlier.That's exactly the problem with painting these surfaces in FSX. Pre-FSX, you just made a simple planar object, textured it, and had your ultra-Hi-Res runway. Now, a simple plane cannot work because a mesh needs to be added to curve the plane to fit a rounded earth.I haven't seen any MAX or gMax examples of doing this, yet. But eventually, someone will figure that out. Then applying a texture to that curved surface will give a custom runway.As far as real world sloped runways, we would all have to agree on a mesh and resolution of that mesh, in order for all the sloped runways of the earth to display properly. Then it could be done. But look at some of the default airports that exist in holes or plateaus now! Think how bad this would get for all of the world's airports!The Aces team deals not only with hardware/software constraints, but inadequate data, and not enough man hours to do that on a global basis. And I'm sure because they can't do it, they wouldn't consider it a priority for addon developers. A great hurdle for the Aces team is to put themselves in the position of the Secondary developers. The team doesn't have to redesign over pre-existing scenery, so that concept is a bit foreign to them. Add to this, many developers have conflicting desires. A mesh terrain developer does not want a fixed globel mesh! And wouldn't all the end-users complain when their hometown is not meshed properly... with no way to fix it! So given that scenario, the Aces team may have been doing a pretty good job evaluating priorities for the sim after all.Eventually, the commercial addon developers will have great looking airports of the quality you desire. Meanwhile, if you prefer FS9 scenery, by all means continue to use FS9.Dick

Guest camtech

i need proof sorry, what you say just dose not add up to me.or let me buy your computer:)Done everything you said still not good results. there are people out there with systems triple what you got with no good results.....................Robert

>Hi Manny.>>Actually, all the FSX runways and taxiways and flattens are>rounded to fit the curvature of the earth. A great departure>from FS9 and earlier.>>That's exactly the problem with painting these surfaces in>FSX. >>>>DickI knew that. ;)The thing is.. it is incomplete when addon folks (payware/freeware) cannot build custom textures for airports. ACES need to provide complete solution for functionality we had before. Ability to build new Custom airport sceneries in FSX. Not necessarily make the FS9 airport scenery work in FSX.SDK provision for Custom airport runway/taxiway textures are an absolute requirements IMO.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>i need proof sorry, what you say just dose not add up to me.>>or let me buy your computer:)>>Done everything you said still not good results. >>there are people out there with systems triple what you got>with no good results.>>....................Robert>If your talking about performance gains, I've offered plenty in the screenshot forum. See the FSX vs FS2004 post for one. I also have a video of flying around Manhattan in the video forum. If that's not enough, I don't know what is. There is definitely an issue here, whether it's configuration, the activation bug stated above or something else, I can't say. What I do know, is I started seeing improvements on my system, after discovering adding the line TnL=2 to my video card section in the display.cfg file.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Chas

Hi Tom,I have looked at your pictures in the screenshot forum. I don't think my FSX is running far behind your's. I know you wanted a comparison.....I can fly around KPHX, (fair weather) with maxed out scenery and autogen. Mid water textures, road traffic at 30 percent and AI set to 4 percent on each AI slider. Clouds coverage at 100 percent, cloud vis range 0, (I found I could push this one further though). I have no airport service traffic activated. Considering that I had to apply lot's of tweak's to get the lowest autogen setting to work in my previous install, and the only tweak I have applied is to remove the default XML, I think I'm doing really well especailly when you see the huge number of objects this simulator is rendering. I have applied the cfg tweak to set trees and buildings to 800 object per cell and fibre frame rate to .23 I have not reduced any textures yet. I am getting around 20 FPS most of the time at KPHX with these settings. Hope this helps. I did try to upload a picture but every time I attempted this, an error came back to say that I was not logged in?I see there is a post below this one, the author has a 3GHZ machine and does not need to do any tweaking. Others are saying that there is no way this is possible on such a machine?Chas.

Hello there,I'm flying only FSX now - I deleted all of my FS9 today. The turning point came when I decided that I cannot fight this product and still have any fun. What I did was:1. Use TweakFPS for FSX to set up my system - I use the IFR with traffic2. Avoid ALL large airports totally.3. Fly helo's about 90% of the time4. Use the "degraded" autogen files that I downloaded from FLTSIM5. Use all of FSgenesis products for FSX - coupled with the FSX default sceneries, they provide a lot of great IFR helo scenery.What I now feel is that FSX or FS9 works fine if you want to fly at FL350. My sim setup is rather large and I have a fairly big GOFLIGHT setup. Now that this interfaces with FSX I use it all of the time. I settle for FPS above 12 at the worst and maintain a flicker-free display so long as I stay out of the big airport areas. My computer is an AMD64 3500+ - 2gigs of ram and 2 Nvidia 6800 in SLI mode. Well, its FSX all the way now so I hope it gets faster with an SP down the line.Cheers and happy new year to all,Ron SagelNEAR KCHS

Guest Ichinin

Do this>Disable Firewall and anti-virus software completely.And you have to do this more often>Run spyware utilities & check for viruses.A firewall doesnt just protect you when you surf, it protects you all the time. My advice is that if you DO disable the firewall, at least pull out the network cable too.There are already millions of computers infected with malware on the net, we do not need 100000 more doing scans and infecting even more.

Guest camtech

Sorry for my harsh words CHAS and folks just frustrated.............Robert

Guest Chas

Hi RobertTake care of yourself and have a happy new year!I am looking after my Mother who has three different types of cancer, multiple myeloma, liver cancer & cancer of the eosophagus. It is a difficult time for me and this hobby has helped to give me a break today in between my caring duties.Chas.

Guest camtech

You do the same Chas and yes this must be a great release for you while you look after your mom, and once again im sorry.I do have a question for you though,what do you mean by force start the windows installer and . NET Runtime Optomisation, that was the only thing i did not understand.Have a Happy new Year

Guest th3flyboy

how do i force start the windows installer and .net optimization?

Guest Chas

You can try starting the services before re-installing FSX if you wish.I am not saying you need to start the Windows Installer. I believe most Microsoft software use the Windows Installer when you run one of their programes. It may just be that FSX requires it, but under some circumstances cannot start it, (it is just an idea). Forcing on some services is just part of a chain of things that I did. There is probably something else I did but may have forgotten about. Others are reporting significant gains in performance after using the MICROSOFT KB928080 fix, it now looks as if using this tool perhaps is more relevant to this topic. You will need to read up on it to see why it is used, I don't advocate you you it unless you have a problem with your installation as I did. Go to Control Panel. Open Administrative Tools. Open Services. Navigate to Windows Installer, highlight it or double click it. Click the start button. If you are re-installing you may want to clean out your Windows Prefetcher and temporary files. I cleaned out redundant registry values using the freeware CCleaner, (Jv16 Power Tools is a great registry cleaner, try the 30 day trial version) the idea to attempt to get rid of any values relating to the FSX Demo that was previously Installed on my computer and previous two installations of the full standard edition. BACK UP YOU REGISTRY before you do any editing. The cleaning tools will ask you if you would like make a back-up so you can undo the changes.Look for the Windows Tweak guide, it's very good and will give you many tips on how to optomise and improve Windows XP core performance.There is also an Nvidia driver Tweak Guide too :-)Chas.

Guest cwright

Chas, of course, you're absolutely right. I'm surprised they shipped the product with boxes that state night lighting is included. I even wonder if that breaks UK law. And how on Earth they failed to spot those corrupt files is beyond me. I would also have much preferred that FSX water was included as standard.But for me the autogen demo makes up for most of that. I'm also impressed by the people at Horizon. There are still problems that need to be addressed but I'm confident they'll get there. And there are some very tasty things on the 'horizon', such as higher resolution areas, some very nice scenery models and of course the full autogen release in April.My biggest criticism is the odd colours that often appear but overall this scenery has given me the most amazing FS experience, ever.Best regards, Chris

Guest Chas

Yes it does break UK law under the Trade Descriptions Act. Some of the scenery is very purple, if you set some haze it helps to subdue this effect. I prefered the paler more washed out textures of the Just Flight Demo. I was a glider pilot for fourteen years, these textures look more real to me.The default FSX winter textures in England look awfull, light brown fields everywhere. It's winter in the UK now, look around, there are plenty of green fields. The best bit of kit that I have bought for FSX and only cost me around six pounds, is the Cloud9 landclass European Scenery. At least the fields are greener in winter now and the whole effect and placement of towns etc are probably more accurate. Sometimes it looks as if you are flying over VFR photo scenery. In my opinion the autogen for the UK is terrible. There are too many tall popular trees and the autogen houses look really north American and not red brick. Someone might fix this in the future, building textures that can be swapped. The MegaScenery textures have ink black textures on the mountains, black never occurs in nature.Chas.