Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

FSX Really Flying Now! - How I Achieved It.

Guest Chas

This may have some relevance too, sorry I forgot to mention it. I turned off the system file checker in Windows XP prior to installation. I have been going back trying to re-trace my steps. Apparently the Windows File Checker can stop some Windows files from being up-dated when you install something. Chas.

Hi Chas,I have read with great interest your threads, and am soon to do your reinstall routine. Thanks for sharing your info.I think that you are wondering what part of the re-install did the magic bullet effect, I would be too. I didn't give much more thought to this until a few moments ago. I have over this past weekend re-formatted and rebuilt an older Dell system that my wife had and we gave it to our grandson who was staying with us over New Year. The first thing he did was to install every app under the sun for his video iPod management. Now he's home, and his Dad called me- seems that he was in Control Panel/User Accounts setting up some permissions for the kids, and noted a user account "asp.net machine a", although this account is not seen at logon. I enquired and found it related to .NET 1.1, which must have been installed as a part of the iPod stuff. I have .NET2.x and do not see this logon in CP/user accounts. I wonder if this could be a part of the "FSX re-install magic bullet", since I saw that you had installed .NET1.1?? The reply from tomshardware.com is below:-----------The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created to run the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services, which allows ASP.net to run on your local web server (This is pretty much its only use, it is not used to run normal .net managed executables). There is not a need to worry about this user's presence; it was not created in malicious way.---------Thanks- Bruce.

Could you use the more technical/descriptive terms when describing what you did?What is the "Windows File checker"?Which folder is the "Windows pre-fetch folder"?Ok, I found the C:windowsprefetch folder, never knew about it before. I can just delete the files from it?Thanks,Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Please, everyone, stop taking comments out of context. He never said that 17-25 fps is a rocking system. First, look at his specs - pretty low end to perhaps mid range max. Second, what he is saying is that his initial installs had quite low fps (I assume 6 - 12), and now he is getting 17 - 25, iow, by following his above steps, he significantly increased his framerates.Now perhaps his title is somewhat misleading, but, yes, I do find 17 - 25 fps to be very smooth as long as that is where the fps stays and there is no stuttering. If you don't, I'm sorry.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Would somebody explain why they believe they need a firewall and virus checkers. I have never run either and the only infestation I ever got was when my son installed and used IM on my system against my wishes and I ended up with a hijack which took me about an hour to figure out and remove. I occasionally check for viruses (either if I am downloading files from an unknown source or just for the heck of it) probably 3 or 4 times per year. Of course, I have no idea if people are logging into my system, but I haven't had any problems yet (I've been using PC's since 1987).Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest Chas

Hi Bruce,Yes I had that service running. I believe I turned that one on too, it was certailny running and I left it in that state before turning it off yesterday.Chas.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

I don't use IM's, I also don't download much at all from any less than reputable sources.I run both a hardware firewall AND a virus/spyware solution because it is smart. With todays SPAM threats, and rampant malicious web sites, it is hard to surf at all and keep on a clean track. I don't run any public services from my machine, nor do I broadcast its IP or domain for people to get a hold of..........yet people do find it, and people DO try to break my box. How they find it is beyond me, my guess is that there ARE people out there who do scan entire blocks of IP's out of sheer boredom. At least once per day I have an attempt on my SHH tunnel into my remote desktop... its the only port I have open, and the very reason I use an encrypted tunnel to get into my system from the outside (I need this functionality from work.) The logs are alive with attempted break in's. This is why my system is locked down and SSH is limited to only one hard coded login attempt per minute, and only one account which ISN'T an administrator :)If you are using XP Pro and using all default install settings, I pity you for not running at least some protection against any threats brought by an always-on connection like cable or DSL. I dare you to download Adaware and Spybot just to see what is all on your system.... you will be surprised to say the least!btw> I'm not just talking out of my rear end, I'm a network admin and am responsable for a rather large corporate network.

This is why I asked. I just don't know what's possible. But in all these years to only have had to deal with one hijack and no viruses or worms that I am aware of; virus checking software and firewall software seem too much trouble to me. As I noted, I do occasionally run Adaware and a couple of other things that supposedly find potentially bad files and registry entries. When I run them, I'll find a few things that are low grade spy threats, but never anything major. I do my best to never open email I don't know what it is, and the reading pane is off.I don't run any windows firewalls (the router etc. do have their firewalls turned on).For any of my accounts that have to do with money (and I ain't got much), I never have windows save my password.Are there any tools I can use to track attacks on my system?Is there any way to determine if these attacks are by people attempting to get in or bots?Perhaps your open port attracts people?Perhaps I just don't have anything important on my system that anybody would want? Maybe I've been attacked and there is nothing to get, lol?Hmm, I guess I should point out that every day I get about 30 or so emails that all have about the same silly subject in them. On top of that, there are a few other spam emails here and there that end up in my junk email bin, and that's about it.Oh, there are a couple emails I have opened that I was curious about. I used to occasionally get these emails that are just blank. Nothing in them, nothing in the subject. Does anybody know what these are? What possible problems can they cause? I haven't seen those for a while though. I don't usually open those, but I have to admit I did open a couple of them.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest Chas
http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164401.jpgHere is an image taken to show scenery level of detail while flying around KPHX. Previously it was impossible with even just a small level of autogen. I can now run down the runway smoothly and fly with incredible buildings detail at 17-25 FPS. The shot indicates a FPS of 20 with the video recorder working at the same time.Chas.

that looks great. what autogen density are you running on?i get similar fps...my only problem is the stutters that occur when autogen is being populated =[have you done any tweaks?

Guest Chas

Full auto gen and scenery density. Default xml removed and the autogen FSX cfg tweak, 800 objects per cell. Inspite of that, I don't think there is any more room for any extra autogen.Yes, it's a well tweaked system. Try Latency Cfg for your graphics card and keeping drive defragmented with a quality defragmenter, (complete name method or equivalent). Lot's of posts about the latency tool in this forum.Chas.

Guest Chas

Contact/check with your hardware manufacturer.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

It sounds like you do take care of your machine, and that your usage habits are effective. People like you are hard to come by, I wish half my users on my network were like that :)Anyways, best way to monitor it.... there are a number of ways. Step one would be to have a hardware firewall of some sort. Many routers these days come with a decent quality firewall, and are most effective against normal everyday threats that a software firewall just wouldn't catch.Being vigilant also helps. I tend to actually view my Security and Application event logs every few days, looking for odd things. You can also nail other problems on your machine using these, just by seeing whats being logged here and there. A good tip that I find helps me out a lot, is to make sure that the network icon is ALWAYS showing in my systray (taskbar). You can enable it by right clicking My Network Places, choose Properties, then right click the connection you want to monitor and choose Properties again. There will be a checkbox referring to showing the icon in the systray.Having it down there lets you keep your eye on your connection, seeing it constantly lighting up when your sitting playing Solitaire would indicate a problem, and you best check what's going on.A helpful piece of software that I use is ActivePorts. It's freeware, and shows the active connections, and which processes each connection is being handled by. It takes some googling for a newcomer to figure out if some of these connections are legit or not, but by-far it is a great little tool.Failing that, you can always open a command prompt (START->Run->type CMD and enter) From a command prompt, you can type "NETSTAT" to show open connections. You can get more info typing "NETSTAT -a -b". This will take some time to run through, but very helpful in locating what exactly is talking to what, and where.Really and truly though, most of this is just unneeded unless your REALLY concerned about your system's privacy, or your just looking to learn something neat about networking.

Thanks for the tips, I will definately check them out. I'd really love a tool that tracked who tried to get on my system, when and for how long. Perhaps netstat does this?Also,What are those blank emails? no attachments, no body, no subject, nuttin'. Were they stripped by my ISP? Did they perhaps have return address turned on so they'd get notified I opened it and maybe other information, too?Those are scary to me.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg